Off-Topic Area: A suggestion/request

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:15 am

I think that's right.

About switching to another email address; Is it possible that you accidently made a typo when entering your new address? (because you only need to enter it only once, no need to confirm like the password)

When I changed my email address, it worked fine.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:18 am

Qloof234 wrote:
^_^ wrote:
popo wrote:Sorry if I offended you Qloof, it wasn't directed at you personally. What I meant was that those wanting to be moderators seem to be kids, and we all know that a lot of kids don't have the same sense as most adults when it comes to online security. Patrick has said not to post email addresses directly but some of you still do it. So I'm just concerned that my email address will end up on someone's system and be made available, whether knowingly or not, to spammers.

I have trusted this site for so long knowing Patrick is a responsible person. I don't think I'd trust it knowing kids had access to my information. Sorry if that upsets anyone but that's how I feel.
I am afraid to say this but...
You can also type random guys email.
Example: >example@gmail.com<
But i don't ever do it.
Except you can't, because last time I checked you needed A) an e-mail to activate your account through, and/or B) to send an e-mail to MS telling him why you think he should activate your account.
I mean after that. :P
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:28 am

I mean after that.
If you enter a different email address in your profile and click the submit button, your account is temporarily de-activated. An email be sent to the new address, and you have to click the link in that email to re-activate your account. If you enter a non-existing address, you'll never get that mail, so you'll not be able to re-activate your account.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:58 am

popo wrote:I've been reading this thread with a certain amount of interest, and it seems to me that the lunatics are taking over the asylum. The whole board is gradually turning into a children's playground.
Except for the Return To Wonderland Custom Levels section (the only section which isn't).
Marinus wrote:
I mean after that.
If you enter a different email address in your profile and click the submit button, your account is temporarily de-activated. An email be sent to the new address, and you have to click the link in that email to re-activate your account. If you enter a non-existing address, you'll never get that mail, so you'll not be able to re-activate your account.
It said it would take three days when I tried and then it took a week.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 am

Marinus wrote:I think that's right.

About switching to another email address; Is it possible that you accidently made a typo when entering your new address? (because you only need to enter it only once, no need to confirm like the password)

When I changed my email address, it worked fine.
I double-checked, it was correct, but it never came through. I guess it's just not that reliable, in which case I still wouldn't really recommend trying it.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:26 am

OK. Well in that case, let's hope for Pauline, that the moderators would be more reliable. 8)
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Marinus wrote:Pauline, it's easy to make a new email address by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo or what so more, to use especially in those situations you're afraid of spam. Also changing your email address in your profile is to be done in a minute.

And in the end, having a little bit faith in humanity shouldn't be wrong. :wink:
I've already got 4 email accounts, I don't want another one. I have already changed my email on here about a year ago, I wouldn't want to have to keep doing it.

When you get to 57 a lot of your faith in humanity goes down the pan, through experience. I would rather err on the side of caution these days. I'm not saying anyone would do anything untoward with my email address but I'd rather not chance it, thanks. For instance, I wouldn't give you my telephone number incase you bombarded me with calls. You probably wouldn't, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Better safe than sorry, like they say. :wink:
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi popo,

About kids being moderators: I'm looking for general maturity levels in the posting behaviour. I think that automatically will exclude younger children. I don't recall Qloof's age right now, but I would have faith in him (based on his posts here, as well as my interaction with him when working on MOFI) that he can be trusted - otherwise I wouldn't allow him (or others) to be a moderator. I don't know off-hand of a second person that will qualify, that's why I just want to see who's interested first.

Having said that, I can easily delete/modify your e-mail to some nonsense - and I will offer that service to any current member who wishes to take that extra precaution during the changeover to moderation.

I do think, personally, that the e-mail is probably not really much of a concern. I wouldn't say I lost my faith in humanity, as you put it, I would say that I never had it when it came to the section of humanity that is currently online. :)

You'll notice that I have never - even right at the start, when this board was much more personable - shared any personal info, posted pictures, etc. I don't do that anywhere on the net - I don't do facebook, twitter, and all that other stuff. Ironic, that I run an online company, right? :)

But I can guarantee you that your e-mail, regardless of whether or not it's posted here by accident, is already way out there and being happily spread by spambots and worse. And fairly little damage can be done with an e-mail alone. So, while I would offer that service, I would also say that it will make no difference in your overall security/comfort/etc on the internet.

Finally, it would be great if some of the "older guard" would be interested in moderation. But that's a bit of a catch-22, while the Off-Topic is the disaster area it currently is, I suspect few adults even peek in here.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:Hi popo,

About kids being moderators: I'm looking for general maturity levels in the posting behaviour. I think that automatically will exclude younger children. I don't recall Qloof's age right now, but I would have faith in him (based on his posts here, as well as my interaction with him when working on MOFI) that he can be trusted - otherwise I wouldn't allow him (or others) to be a moderator. I don't know off-hand of a second person that will qualify, that's why I just want to see who's interested first.
Q, me, jdl (and serval others, can't remember) is 14. Muz is around 22 (?).
Having said that, I can easily delete/modify your e-mail to some nonsense - and I will offer that service to any current member who wishes to take that extra precaution during the changeover to moderation.
If you wish to not allow mods to view email, it is very easy to do so in phpBB with a little editing in the files.

popo: I sort of understand what you are talking about.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:10 pm

MS wrote:But I can guarantee you that your e-mail, regardless of whether or not it's posted here by accident, is already way out there and being happily spread by spambots and worse. And fairly little damage can be done with an e-mail alone. So, while I would offer that service, I would also say that it will make no difference in your overall security/comfort/etc on the internet.
Ah, well, as far as emails go I can tell you that the first one I ever had, I used for everything, and now get 30 spam emails for every legitimate one on that account. I only use that one now for putting on sites that I'm not sure about. I changed it from that one on here because I trusted this site, and the one I use now for here doesn't get any spam. I have another one for friends and family (which does get a little spam), and yet another for banking etc (which gets no spam). This way I can be sure some of my email addresses are not bandied about the internet willy nilly.

As far as little damage being done with an email alone, I have had several emails containing viruses in the past. Luckily my Internet Security package stopped them before they did any damage. The internet is a very dangerous place and I would not want my system to be compromised however it happens. If it's possible to alter my email address in some way that wouldn't stop me getting notifications from the forum then I'd appreciate it very much. :)
Pauline
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:43 pm

You would lose getting notifications. :(

BTW, I highly recommend Cloudmark Desktop One for anti-spam. I used to change e-mails once every few years when Spam got out of hand, but got tired of doing that. This program really works great for me, it cuts out 99% or more of my spam (and I get hundreds, if not thousands, a day) and I haven't had a false postive so far.

(that's just a "by the way", not related to the forum discussion)
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:50 pm

I know i liklley wouldn't be a mod, but I know that my first actions would be:
Skype wrote:[9/23/2010 3:59:50 PM] Deeman223344: If I was a mod, the first thing I'd do is nuke every spam topic in offtopic
[9/23/2010 4:00:00 PM] Deeman223344: and READ the spam too
[9/23/2010 4:00:07 PM] Deeman223344: then decide if it spam
[9/23/2010 4:00:12 PM] Deeman223344: OM NOM NOM
[9/23/2010 4:00:12 PM | Edited 4:00:21 PM] sprgl: ^^, ^^^ THESE
[9/23/2010 4:00:28 PM] Ðå&#343;&#967; &#359;&#295;&#281; £&#316;êç&#358;&#343;ø: heavy is mod
[9/23/2010 4:00:33 PM] sprgl: heavy wut
[9/23/2010 4:00:40 PM] Deeman223344: and not lock them like MS
[9/23/2010 4:00:54 PM] Kyuu the Wolf: ikr
[9/23/2010 4:00:57 PM] Deeman223344: can mods delete accounts?
[9/23/2010 4:01:04 PM] Ðå&#343;&#967; &#359;&#295;&#281; £&#316;êç&#358;&#343;ø: nup
[9/23/2010 4:01:21 PM] sprgl: I would delete intentional spam, and lock plain nonsense
[9/23/2010 4:01:22 PM] Kyuu the Wolf: they can ban people, idk about deleting accounts though
[9/23/2010 4:01:35 PM] sprgl: no, I think mods can't ban either
[9/23/2010 4:01:44 PM] Deeman223344: cuz if they can i clear moar space by deletingthose annoyong 0-posters
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Pauline wrote:For instance, I wouldn't give you my telephone number incase you bombarded me with calls.
Oh yes!! I would call you twice a day. :lol: :lol:
If it's possible to alter my email address in some way that wouldn't stop me getting notifications
I had written a little story yet and then I saw that Patrick already told about the notifications.

I also tested on my family forum, which works the same as this one, and I saw that a moderator of a subforum is only able to see the email- and IP- addresses of people who posted in that subforum. So if Patrick would move this topic to the "general" subforum, a moderator can only see your email- and IP- address, if he/she is going to search (on purpose) for some of your older posts in the off-topics. (Since you don't seem to post much in the off-topic's anyhow.)
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Tyteen - do you know of a link for codechanges in Phpbb2 to disable the e-mail view? I could look into that option.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:Tyteen - do you know of a link for codechanges in Phpbb2 to disable the e-mail view? I could look into that option.
Around line 929 in viewtopic.php, find:

Code: Select all

if &#40; !empty&#40;$postrow&#91;$i&#93;&#91;'user_viewemail'&#93;&#41; || $is_auth&#91;'auth_mod'&#93; &#41;
Change to:

Code: Select all

if &#40; !empty&#40;$postrow&#91;$i&#93;&#91;'user_viewemail'&#93;&#41; || $is_auth&#91;'auth_admin'&#93; &#41;
Works for me.

(note: the profile email button has been admin-only)

Brings out changing forum software, this could be done easily in vB, IPB, MyBB etc without code changing.

@Deeman: Those 0 posters don't really waste space in the database, so I guess they will be fine (but yes, I think they have to be pruned at some point with a prior warning)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop