Off-Topic Area: A suggestion/request

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 am

A moderator is not necessary people who are hired or come here to only moderate the forum.
True, but I thought that's what Pauline would like.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:33 am

popo wrote:The amount of trash on here is the main reason I don't come here anymore.
Why does trash in one forum stop you from going in the others?
popo wrote:Why does anyone need to post crap on here, there are tons of other forums you can do that on.
Sadly, (I think a lot of) people will probably abandon this forum but not go onto the other forum. Just like with 3.studIo and forum games. I suppose we could do this for some time and see what the result is. Then change it back or leave it depending on the result of that time.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:22 am

Marinus wrote:
A moderator is not necessary people who are hired or come here to only moderate the forum.
True, but I thought that's what Pauline would like.
It's just like hiring a western cook to cook chinese food. If a moderator does not deeply understand (typo - thanks Marinus!) the forum's state and not know much people in the forum, the moderator could have many conflicts with users.

(But of course I have seen some forums actually hire and pay their mods - that's rare case though.)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:05 pm

marinus wrote:
What I said in my previous post about rules; here's a little example. A while ago, you (XPR) had a very flashing avatar but no signature, so exactly according to the rules. However it was terribly annoying me.

Right now, you have a quiet avatar and also a nice 4 lines poem in your signature, which is actually not quite according to the rules. However, it's perfectly fine for me. :D
AND WHEN I SAID SAME ABOUT SIGNATURE AND AVATAR YOU SAID 'go to school learn to read'. THEN THAT WAS NONSENSE. NOW, EVEN THOUGHT I DON'T CARE ABOUT NONSENSE, I CAN SAY "learn what nonsense is." :lol: :wink: :cry: 8) :shock: :shock:
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Although I have to say it is not quite nice, but I will have to agree on ^_^ here - if most of the members think it is fine, then it should be fine. Democracy (sp), eh?
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:Democracy (sp), eh?
Well, since Patrick actually is the only "boss" here, it is not a democracy. (BTW, what is sp?) Also, in most countries, people must at least be 18 years before they may vote. And there's a good reason for. If the votes of all Yelling Babies (because of the annoying CAPS use, from now on to be shortened to YB) would count as much as votes of reasonable adults, it would be pretty messy, isn't it?

However, just in case on this forum would be a democracy, I won't say that people must be 18. If I'm right, when you register for this forum, there is a button which says "I'm 13 years or older" to register without permission of the parents. Otherwise, in my opinion, the parents are also supposed to check the posting behavior of their child. But considered the spamming activities of YB, I guess it's not even 10 years, and I don't have the idea that its parents are checking its activities.

Besides, for matters of personal opinion can be voted about, but things which can be proved as being true or not true, have nothing to do with a democracy.

Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered about ^, but since you said that, I'll try to explain what's exactly going on.
^_^ wrote:There's also a rule no one but Patrick follows -
Please have only a avatar or only a signature not both
Patrick said something like that. :roll: :oops: :lol: :o
Therefore I wrote:^_^, go to school, learn to read.
because Patrick wrote:Please use either a signature image or an avatar image, not both.
I hope it's clear to you Tyteen, and if you have more questions, I'll be glad to answer them. But when I should have to respond on ^'s nonsense I may say some words which are not in the bible. (and probably not according to the rules)
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:19 pm

@Marinus: Hmm. Democracy is the wrong word here then. Sorry.

Also, (sp) means spelling. If a user is not sure if his spelling on a particular word, he marks it with (sp).
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Stinky
Silver Wonderlander

Post by Stinky » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Interesting discussion so far, let me just pipe in with a few points:

Let me re-iterate that - if an option like #3 or #4 (which I'm not opposed to on principle) is taken, what I'm most looking for is a set of rules and guidelines of what is and isn't appropriate, and how moderators should handle this. Basically, Off-Topic (or Silly) would be a place collectively governed by those interested in it. I would be watching it to see how it develops and if it stays a stable sub-community. As a result:

1. I would definitely want moderators from within the community. As others have said, there is a need for a moderator to understand the current culture of the place. Muz and Qloof's names have been mentioned, I for one would not be opposed to this suggestion, assuming they would be willing.

2. Moderation would ONLY apply to Offtopic (or Offtopic/Silly) and not to any other part of the forum. The General Discussion is the one area that I do read and step in regularly. The Level Exchange areas are working fine as is.

3. Just FYI: Moderators would be able to see two things that other users cannot - the IP addresses of posts (so they could figure out if someone is posting under multiple names), as well as the e-mail address of the poster. Obviously I would have a chat with any moderator about privacy, but that is the extent of the personal info that a moderator would have access to, if he/she chose to do so.

4. Again: I'm also looking for a set of what you, collectively, decide should be the goal of this section, and, as a result, what sort of posts are ok and what the rules are.

I actually agree with popo, that the majority of posts are "crap" at this point, which is why my current default action is to axe the whole thing - even if that will create some collateral damage. I also have no illusions of returning Off-Topic to "the way it used to be" overnight. The current group of visitors to Off-Topic has very different posting behaviour and interests than the initial group, and the two don't seem to mix all that well. I don't see many of the initial group of posters returning to the Off-Topic section - either for a long time, or possibly never.

But, if the current group of users can come up with a workable set of rules and steer the Off-Topic section into a more fruitful direction, I'm more than happy to give that group this space to do so. If it does revert back to a spam fest or infighting or anything like that, then #2 is still the default fall-back option.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Oops, haha, I logged in as Stinky to test out Moderator settings, and forgot to log out before making this post. :)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 pm

No problem. :D Midnight Synergy looks like a big company like the other MS (MicroSoft) and Stinky is a bit more familiar to us.
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:49 am

Stinky wrote:Interesting discussion so far, let me just pipe in with a few points:

Let me re-iterate that - if an option like #3 or #4 (which I'm not opposed to on principle) is taken, what I'm most looking for is a set of rules and guidelines of what is and isn't appropriate, and how moderators should handle this. Basically, Off-Topic (or Silly) would be a place collectively governed by those interested in it. I would be watching it to see how it develops and if it stays a stable sub-community. As a result:

1. I would definitely want moderators from within the community. As others have said, there is a need for a moderator to understand the current culture of the place. Muz and Qloof's names have been mentioned, I for one would not be opposed to this suggestion, assuming they would be willing.

2. Moderation would ONLY apply to Offtopic (or Offtopic/Silly) and not to any other part of the forum. The General Discussion is the one area that I do read and step in regularly. The Level Exchange areas are working fine as is.

3. Just FYI: Moderators would be able to see two things that other users cannot - the IP addresses of posts (so they could figure out if someone is posting under multiple names), as well as the e-mail address of the poster. Obviously I would have a chat with any moderator about privacy, but that is the extent of the personal info that a moderator would have access to, if he/she chose to do so.

4. Again: I'm also looking for a set of what you, collectively, decide should be the goal of this section, and, as a result, what sort of posts are ok and what the rules are.

I actually agree with popo, that the majority of posts are "crap" at this point, which is why my current default action is to axe the whole thing - even if that will create some collateral damage. I also have no illusions of returning Off-Topic to "the way it used to be" overnight. The current group of visitors to Off-Topic has very different posting behaviour and interests than the initial group, and the two don't seem to mix all that well. I don't see many of the initial group of posters returning to the Off-Topic section - either for a long time, or possibly never.

But, if the current group of users can come up with a workable set of rules and steer the Off-Topic section into a more fruitful direction, I'm more than happy to give that group this space to do so. If it does revert back to a spam fest or infighting or anything like that, then #2 is still the default fall-back option.
Yup, I support the idea of axing the whole thing.

@Marinus: Nice avatar :)
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 am

Another suggestion on mod is Blast!10, he has managed everything on his own forum, 3.studIo forums and others well.

As for mods in off-topic only, I don't see the point of not setting mods on other sections.

A summary of 3.studIo rules with a mix of this forum's current situation as a reference (whole rule mentioned earlier):
-Do not upload any personal materials
-Limit yourself when posting personal materials, and use the guest-cannot-view-attachment setting if you really need to do so.
-All posts must be in PG (can be amended since I have seen a little bit of profanity coming out from users, including Muz (no offense) and totally not PG discussion (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, also no offense))
-You must use English to post in order to let the Mods understand. Exceptions can be made by mods/MS
-No spam (execpt edible ones, throw it into the oven)
-Absolutly NO PROFANITY. (with an exception of some words, like crap, sucks)
-Don't spam via private message.
-No trolling or flaming.
-No backseat moderating. Please use the 'report' button instead (another reason I strongly recommend to use other forum software)
-Do not bump a thread more then once every 24 hours.
-Posts have to be readable, do not use any irritating fonts or colors and keep sizes reasonable.
-Naming the name of someone who had offended you is not allowed.
-Impersonating others is NOT acceptable.
-It is fine to mention your religion but please do not attack or convince somebody's religion.
-1 account per person. We allow 1 account per person and multiple account per household. This does not apply to the members of the Staff team and approved users.
-Please post in the correct forum.

All moderators decisions are final and should not be discussed publicly. If you don’t understand what rule you’ve broken you should contact the moderator or administrator who edited your post privately. If you think a moderator has treated you unfairly you should contact an administrator via PM or E-mail.

(boring stuff ahead)

Midnight Synergy reserves the right to deny, in its sole discretion, any user access to Midnight Synergy without notice for any or no reason (including, without limitation, for violation of these Site rules)

Midnight Synergy is not responsible for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website, or in reliance on the information available on the site. This includes, but is not limited to any personal injury, business interruption, loss of use, lost data, lost profits, or any other pecuniary loss. Midnight Synergy is not responsible for the content of our users’ posts, and states that the views of our users are not necessarily that of Midnight Synergy.

Midnight Synergy reserves the right to add, delete, or modify its rules at any time, and your registration at this site signifies your willingness to these changes without prior notification.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 am

I really think i agree with most of you all - there MUST be a mod. At least 1.
And i think it should be... NOT ME!:lol: .... Qloof?
But Tyteen, NO 3-OR MORE BUMPS OF A TOPIC EVERYDAY?!?
FOR SOME TOPICS IT WOULD BE A :cry: DRAMA :cry:
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:54 pm

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS BY DEEMAN223344. I DO NOT HOLD ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE.
[0:52:54] Deeman223344 says: First, if anyone is axing the offtopic, mod or MS...
[0:53:17] tyteen4a03 The Mongoose-diot says: mod cannot axe down off-topic section, only MS can
[0:54:29] Deeman223344 says: Anyway, I would like a warning first, so me and nobody can make backups of stuff first
[0:54:41] Deeman223344 says: Nobody: Wefight
[0:55:08] Deeman223344 says: Me: AoDD (Adventures of Dancing Duck) etc.
[0:56:00] Deeman223344 says: why should I need to backup AoDD etc? Well....
[0:57:07] Deeman223344 says: Smile Invaders became a victum of the axe after the forum game ban
[0:57:29] Deeman223344 says: MS thought it was a forum game
[0:58:15] Deeman223344 says: and later i lost everything exept an early version on mediafire
THE ABOVE MESSAGE IS BY DEEMAN223344. I DO NOT HOLD ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ABOVE MESSAGE.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I actually find myself agreeing with Deeman.
Stinky wrote:"crap"
STINKY SAID WHAT!?
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Ben, thanks (about the avatar). But actually I would like to ask you, and not only you but all people who would like to remove the whole thing, the same question as BB and I asked Pauline: Why?

I understand Patrick, because if there are problems in the off-topic's, they're his problems in the first place. But to the others:

If you go to this forum only for the levels etc. what difference does it make if there's
- an off-topic's with lot's of trouble, or
- no off topic's at all?

I think I will look at all Tyteen's rules. Also I think Muzo's "rules of the thumb" probably can be used, and I'll say more about later.

Somebody, quoted by Nobody wrote:"crap"
Well that's just why I don't want to be a mod; Nobody's watching us. :lol:
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Marinus wrote:Ben, thanks (about the avatar). But actually I would like to ask you, and not only you but all people who would like to remove the whole thing, the same question as BB and I asked Pauline: Why?

I understand Patrick, because if there are problems in the off-topic's, they're his problems in the first place. But to the others:

If you go to this forum only for the levels etc. what difference does it make if there's
- an off-topic's with lot's of trouble, or
- no off topic's at all?

I think I will look at all Tyteen's rules. Also I think Muzo's "rules of the thumb" probably can be used, and I'll say more about later.

Somebody, quoted by Nobody wrote:"crap"
Well that's just why I don't want to be a mod; Nobody's watching us. :lol:
[rant] Becasue one of the topics is absolute crap (wefight) [/rant]

Becasue it is in a very bad state and it would be cool if we could just start again. :)
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Ben wrote:.... it would be cool if we could just start again.
You mean: remove the whole off-topic's, and then start a new one from scratch, right?
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 pm

ben-09 wrote:Becasue one of the topics is absolute crap (wefight)
You really hate Wefight, don't you? You've made like three topics about deleting it in the past.

...I've been wondering, why do you hate it so much?
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:34 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
ben-09 wrote:Becasue one of the topics is absolute crap (wefight)
You really hate Wefight, don't you? You've made like three topics about deleting it in the past.

...I've been wondering, why do you hate it so much?
Well, you guys keep going on about how good a 'plot' wefight has.
But when I read some of the latest pages I see something like:

(post)

Nobody and MyNameIsKooky board the spaceship and travel to Mars!

(next post by a different person)

Deeman throws a sock at the giant pencil!

In other words, I think most of the posts in wefight have absolutely no relevence to each other, therefore there is no plot.

@Marinus: Yes.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:42 pm

ben-09 wrote:Well, you guys keep going on about how good a 'plot' wefight has.

(post)

In other words, I think most of the posts in wefight have absolutely no relevence to each other, therefore there is no plot.
Spaceship? Mars???

First of all, Deeman's posts barely follow a plot so don't judge the topic by them. Second of all, you have to have read the rest to actually get what's happening.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:56 pm

If we do that, (remove the whole off-topic's, and then start a new one from scratch) I think everything which caused
it is in a very bad state
also starts again from scratch. So, everything will be the same.

Agreed? (If not: Why?)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:35 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
ben-09 wrote:Well, you guys keep going on about how good a 'plot' wefight has.

(post)

Spaceship? Mars???

First of all, Deeman's posts barely follow a plot so don't judge the topic by them. Second of all, you have to have read the rest to actually get what's happening.
WeFight actually does have a plot. It's a pretty interesting one if you have the patience to read it, but when you look through a fragment of it, it really makes no sense.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:13 am

Don't let Wefight make: we fight!

In another topic I said I'm the president of France, but you all know that was just a joke. Actually I'm king of Isreal. [typo: Israel is real] Or, better said, I was, several thousands of years ago. My father David always said: "We fight", but I didn't like that. I've always been more a man of peace. (also a man of gold and lots of very yummy women *sigh*, but that's actually really off-topic) And in my free time they asked me for judge when they had a disagreement. And just now, I realize I made a terrible mistake then. So I would like to say: Don't split the baby in two parts; split it in three parts: The off-topic's, the silly stuff......... and the ......... We (don't) fight!

Because, first I thought this is pretty off-topic, talking about 1 (or 2?) topics of the almost 2000 topics in the off topics. But after taking a better look, I realized that the about 15.000 posts of wefight is more then 1/4 of the about 51.000 posts in the off topics, almost 1/3. So it deserves its own subforum. Moderators: Nobody but Kooky.

BTW, I've no idea what wefight is, and to be honest, I don't want to know.

Shalom!
Last edited by Marinus on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:20 am

Marinus wrote:So it deserves its own subforum. Moderators: Nobody but Kooky.
AWW COME ON! I deserve to be a moderator too because I MADE the darn topic.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:42 am

:lol: That was also a joke Nobody. :lol:

Just in case Patrick decides to do what I suggested, I think you and Kooky can decide which is best.

Since you choose the username "Nobody" I just can't resist making jokes about it. Sorry. :lol:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:45 am

Marinus wrote:BTW, I've no idea what wefight is, and to be honest, I don't want to know.
lol

Wefight was originally intended to be a parody of Blast!10's forum game Ufight.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:42 am

Random suggestion:

If MS really wants to axe wefight, instead of deleting it, archive it.

(or give a database copy of wefight, works the same)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 am

Oooooooooo.
But there's no archivum (or however u say that) on the forum, and patrick has an Invisible-for-us topic named Basket. If he wants to, he can put trashy topics there. :?
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 am

^_^ wrote:Oooooooooo.
But there's no archivum (or however u say that) on the forum, and patrick has an Invisible-for-us topic named Basket. If he wants to, he can put trashy topics there. :?
In fact that forum is called No2.

If all users who have posted in wefight agree (and of course if MS agrees), I can always move the whole wefight topic + users who have participated (without any loss of posts, and only wefight) and merge them into 3.studIo forum database or somewhere else specified by Nobody/Blast!10/whoever. I understand that some users may worry about safety of their data, and I can of course exclude some user's information. All of the user's posts will be posted by a guest with that name if he/she requests an exclusion of transfer.

An alternative is by using a special tool installed on 3.studIo forums to manually move the posts including author, post date and content, but everything will have to be done manually, so moving 14000+ posts inside wefight would take a lot of time and errors may occur.

(In short: Techinically moving the topic and only the topic with participated users' information is possible)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop