Program request -- anyone knows if such a thing exists?

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Program request -- anyone knows if such a thing exists?

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:47 am

I want a program that can:

1) take your input in one open program and immediately perform identical input in a different open program.

And:

2) mute the sound in an open program

Does such a thing exist?

(For Qloof234 and TheoX: yes, yes... I want to work around the fact that the music/sound patches for arcs 5-8 are not full and cannot be full due to Mangagamer being weird with their song replacements... I'm at arc 3 right now, but I decided to think about it right now)
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:51 am

1. What do you mean?
2. If you mean video/audio editing then yes, if you mean something else then probably not.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:35 am

Do you mean like "recording" your mouse/keyboard presses in one thing and play them back exactly in another thing?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm

jdl wrote:Do you mean like "recording" your mouse/keyboard presses in one thing and play them back exactly in another thing?
Yes. Making things even more complicated is that it must happen at the exact same time, with as little delay as possible.

Imagine for example that I have two programs open, but one of them minimized. I press "ENTER" and that press is sent to BOTH programs instead of just the one that's active.
2. If you mean video/audio editing then yes, if you mean something else then probably not.
I mean I opened a program. That program plays some music/sounds/whatnot. MUTE that program without muting anything else.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Muzozavr wrote:I press "ENTER" and that press is sent to BOTH programs instead of just the one that's active.
Well I'm not sure there's a program like that that sends it to the one that isn't active.. Unless you can make it active but not make it visible somehow. :?
Muzozavr wrote:I mean I opened a program. That program plays some music/sounds/whatnot. MUTE that program without muting anything else.
There's always the Mixer in your sound. It's one of the options of the sound icon in your system tray. You can mute individual programs, or control how loud they are. :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:14 pm

jdl wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:I press "ENTER" and that press is sent to BOTH programs instead of just the one that's active.
Well I'm not sure there's a program like that that sends it to the one that isn't active.. Unless you can make it active but not make it visible somehow. :?

One is visible, one is not. I need ENTER to be sent to both.
Muzozavr wrote:I mean I opened a program. That program plays some music/sounds/whatnot. MUTE that program without muting anything else.
There's always the Mixer in your sound. It's one of the options of the sound icon in your system tray. You can mute individual programs, or control how loud they are. :wink:

No chance unless YOUR sound options somehow allow you to mute particular .exe files. I have to mute one PROGRAM, not a CLASS of programs. If I mute a class of programs, it would mute both of them.
EDIT: Actually I realized the latter works if you're using Vista. I'm using XP though, so no such luck.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Oh.. Well, I am using Vista so, sorry. :(

At least I tried. :)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:14 pm

1) First thing I thought is that it's not possible in "Windows" to have more then one window active at the same time. If you want to do that, you have to rewrite all those "Bill Gates stuff". But later I got an idea (don't know if it's useful) that a "screenshot-video-recording-program" (You know what people use to record video solutions for RTW levels) actually does that: Every input in RTW is at the same time input in the video-program.

2) Don't have most programs their own mute-function? As far as I know, the program "Winamp" has its own "sound volume thing" independent the "Master sound" and "Wav sound".
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Marinus wrote:1) First thing I thought is that it's not possible in "Windows" to have more then one window active at the same time. If you want to do that, you have to rewrite all those "Bill Gates stuff". But later I got an idea (don't know if it's useful) that a "screenshot-video-recording-program" (You know what people use to record video solutions for RTW levels) actually does that: Every input in RTW is at the same time input in the video-program.
Not useful, but thanks for trying. A program I'm talking about is probably writable but I don't know if it exists.
2) Don't have most programs their own mute-function? As far as I know, the program "Winamp" has its own "sound volume thing" independent the "Master sound" and "Wav sound".
I don't think it has a mute function, but I'll search.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Marinus wrote:1) First thing I thought is that it's not possible in "Windows" to have more then one window active at the same time.
Background key capturing is possible, but how will you pass them to programs?
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Tyteen, I don't know. I was aware that I didn't have the solution / answer, only a few idea's, hoping that someone else would get a better idea then. :)
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Marinus wrote:1) First thing I thought is that it's not possible in "Windows" to have more then one window active at the same time. If you want to do that, you have to rewrite all those "Bill Gates stuff". But later I got an idea (don't know if it's useful) that a "screenshot-video-recording-program" (You know what people use to record video solutions for RTW levels) actually does that: Every input in RTW is at the same time input in the video-program.
I don't really know what you mean, but the exception is media players and screen recorders etc.