Higurashi (Umineko) no Naku Koro ni (Kai) (not PG?)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:07 pm

One of the other things I believe the game mentioned that the anime didn't is that Shion and Mion were actually switched at birth.

Ergo, when Shion's pretending to be Mion in Arc2/5 of Season 1, she has no idea she actually is Mion. :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Qloof234 wrote:One of the other things I believe the game mentioned that the anime didn't is that Shion and Mion were actually switched at birth.

Ergo, when Shion's pretending to be Mion in Arc2/5 of Season 1, she has no idea she actually is Mion. :lol:
Yes. It wouldn't be too bad except the lack of that fact apparently opens up a plothole with the whole demon thing.
And the anime doesn't "not mention"... in this case it DOES give you a clue... but that clue is WAY too small (the "At this moment, even I couldn't say which one of us is Shion" Shion says somewhere in that arc 5) and the conclusion (the switch) seems ridiculously out of left field.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:59 am

Qloof234 wrote:One of the other things I believe the game mentioned that the anime didn't is that Shion and Mion were actually switched at birth.

That's weird. I wish I could find an english version of the games somewhere, I'd like to play them.

Are both of you guys all finished with Higurashi? Cause there's another series by the creators, called Umineko no Naku Koro ni. :D Well, it's more confusing and not quite as awesome, but still pretty cool in other ways.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:43 am

Yeah, I've heard about it. Translates to "When the Seagulls Cry", which... doesn't sound quite as epic as When the Cicadas Cry IMO. :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:55 am

TheoX wrote:

That's weird. I wish I could find an english version of the games somewhere, I'd like to play them.

Are both of you guys all finished with Higurashi? Cause there's another series by the creators, called Umineko no Naku Koro ni. :D Well, it's more confusing and not quite as awesome, but still pretty cool in other ways.
English versions by Mangagamer exist for four question arcs and three answer arcs. Last Kai arc still remains. But the translation of the first four upsets quite a lot of people with obvious spelling/grammar mistakes, and the idiots (EDIT: copyright protectors) in Mangagamer decided to replace the music in the first game (first four arcs) with Kai music, only problem is, there are fewer tracks in Kai so they really stretched/duplicated it. There's a music patch for it and a translation patch to fix up the most blatant mistakes in the translation... but apparently, due to how they work, it's either one or another. :(

There's also the free (requires original Japanese game) translation patch by "Sonozaki Futago-tachi" :lol: and judging by the small previews I've seen, the translation is of MUCH higher quality, with the script far less dry than in Mangagamer's version... however, only the first arc and a bit of the second are translated in this version, the rest haven't been done yet.

EDIT: And no, I'm not yet finished with the anime... after episode 13 I'm taking a break yet again. :lol: I know that arc is supposed to have a happy ending, but damn Takano terrifies me. :lol:
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:57 pm

S2EP14:
GODDAMMITYOUCOULDHAVEWARNEDMEOHMYGODOHGODOHGOD
At least we get to see a moment of awesome for kid!Miyo. Specifically the moment where the attacker tries to punch her in the face and finds out that Miyo is not completely defenseless. For those who haven't seen it yet, I'm not gonna spoil it... just watch, it's awesome.

But daaaaaaaaaamn that backstory is... just... oh god. :shock:

EDIT:

S2EP15:
This episode is just filled with Miyo's "I'm DETERMINED" moments. And that moment where the coin bounces back and the conversation afterwards... it's just awesome, I'm DEFINITELY watching the anime to the end, I don't care if some stuff from VN is missing, what's left is more than enough to make this anime awesome. Plus there are no full VN translations anyway. (last arc hasn't been translated so far)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Just finished S2EP18 now, dammit, this is extremely good.

I think I'll never be able to jokingly tell someone that "I was waiting you for a hundred years" because I have no right to say that... Rika is the only one who can really say that...
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:28 pm

S2EP23:

EPIC. One more episode remaining and so far it's awesome.

Some people complained about the ending being too luck-based and stuff like that -- well it's SUPPOSED to be like that, after all Takano Miyo has managed to bend destiny to her will so that her plan occurs in ALL of the timelines. Once the combined will of everyone is finally stronger than Takano's... they just HAD to receive a huge luck bonus in everything by the "law of compensation", it makes sense!

People who said it's "Hollywood-like" are onto something, though: it totally reminds me of A-Team, but it is well done... and as I've said already, in this one case it makes perfect sense.

But yeah, one more episode remaining and... this is gonna be great. 8)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:41 pm

S2EP24:
So, here I am, finally finishing this.

WHAT was the meaning of that extra after-credits scene? A final riddle to say "screw you" to the audience? A link to Umineko, which I know next to nothing about? An alternate reality in which Takano's parents didn't die? Or did? What WAS the meaning of this?

It's a nice extra, but I think it's kinda unneccesary in the anime. Maybe it's linked to something important in VN, but here... just a weird-but-nice bonus scene.

The epic ending before the bonus scene... for those who KNOW it can be summed up in a word and a number... July 1st.

All in all, this anime was amazingly epic, but horror that was so prevalent in the first season was not the true nature of the story at all... I think the scariness of the first season is simply a way to make the second season that much better. It's like "Think you had it bad, viewer? That was NOTHING compared to Rika's experiences". It just... drives the point home. In terrifying ways.

Amazing anime, one of the best stories I've seen by far. When the Mangagamer translation of Matsuribayashi-hen comes out I'm so reading the original VN games. 8)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 pm

And here's how I can sum this whole thing up:

If you're playing a game that can be screwed up to the point of becoming unwinnable, save early, save often and don't overwrite saves. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Muzozavr wrote:And here's how I can sum this whole thing up:

If you're playing a game that can be screwed up to the point of becoming unwinnable, save early, save often and don't overwrite saves. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And that`s the only thing I think Ace Attorney has over Higurashi, you can`t lose from decisions unless you messed up enough or at certain points. :P :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:02 am

I just found a screencap of the most awesome moment of the Akasaka ownage from episode 22 and used an online demotivator-maker (I'm lazy, couldn't be bothered doing this by hand) and made this:

(If you can't see it, try following this link: HERE)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:28 am

Muzozavr wrote:I just found a screencap of the most awesome moment of the Akasaka ownage from episode 22 and used an online demotivator-maker (I'm lazy, couldn't be bothered doing this by hand) and made this:

(If you can't see it, try following this link: HERE)
Hahaha, I know right? That was one of the only points Higurashi had me laughing as opposed to listening. :lol:

I wouldn't want to own that car, that's for sure :wink:
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Oh, that part is awesome. :D

Where are you guys getting the games? Are they translated? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

EDIT: Off-topic: My job has been keeping me pretty busy, that's why I haven't been posting much. :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:36 pm

I don't HAVE the games. You can either try to find them on a torrent or buy them from http://www.mangagamer.com (they're expensive, though) but big bold BEWARE: the final arc of Kai, the epic Matsuribayashi-hen has NOT BEEN TRANSLATED YET. I'm waiting, then I'll get the VN games. No sense in splitting your joy over time because of an untraslated arc. I've also been told that the translation kinda sucks, and a much better translation by a fan group "Sonozaki Futagotachi" exists... but only Onikakushi-hen and a part of Watanagashi-hen were translated by them, and they're currently waiting for Mangagamer to finish before continuing it themselves.

There are also six released VN "episodes" for Umineko (eight are planned) and five of them are translated, the sixth is in progress by a fan-translation group "Witch Hunt". Once again, you can either try to find and buy the original japanese games (good luck) and apply the patch or you can try to find it on a torrent. The translation patches (require original games) are on http://www.witch-hunt.com but once again: I'm waiting until Umineko VN 8 comes out and gets translated. I'm not even going to watch the Umineko anime because the reviews pretty much say that unlike Higurashi (which did suffer in the anime somewhat, but the atmosphere, the characters and most of the plot was faithfully adapted) the Umineko anime was just plain terrible compared to the source material.

And did you like that demotivator I made? :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:37 am

Hau au... I don't think watching this in the dead of night was a good idea! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC6ED2Rhlqg

"Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni" the opening song to the first season combined with scenes from the Fatal Frame games.

It's pretty damn freaky. :shock:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 am

OH GOD WHY DID I WATCH THAT

Now that that's over with...

I learned something interesting today about the series - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a double meaning. It can translate to both "When the Evening Cicadas Cry", as well as "When Everyday Life is no More".

Both pretty representative of the series, aren't they? :lol:
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:16 am

Qloof234 wrote:Both pretty representative of the series, aren't they? :lol:
Quite XD

Now I'm just creeped out from that video... it killed part of me o.o
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:15 am

I've also heard (not sure if it's true) that Japan has some sort of a folklore legend/myth that people who are about to go insane start hearing those cicadas constantly, even if they aren't there.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Couldn't confirm this from a more official source, but found this on a few random forums, if that's true, this is AWESOME -- apparently the Mangagamer translation of Matsuribayashi-hen should come out this month.

As soon as I know I can get my hands on all the 8 arcs at the same time, I AM SO READING THIS.

Also Witch-Hunt's Umineko VN episode 6 english patch says "translation: 100%, editing: 60%" so it's probably going to come out soon. And Umineko VN 7 and 8 aren't even out in Japanese, anyway. :lol:

Also, this is an awesome MEP AMV: (MEP -- multi editor project)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGFESY0MO8
Uses tons of different anime, uses X-Files theme for the "intro" and Higurashi opening 1 for the AMV itself.

IT. IS. AWESOME. :D :twisted:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:14 am

Muzozavr wrote:Couldn't confirm this from a more official source, but found this on a few random forums, if that's true, this is AWESOME -- apparently the Mangagamer translation of Matsuribayashi-hen should come out this month.
APPLE YOU BETTER PUT THE MANGAGAMER TRANSLATION OF THE VN ON iTUNES AS WELL AS THE JAPANESE ONE :twisted:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 am

O. M. G.

Mangagamer's Matsuribayashi-hen is going to be released on July 15th:

http://mangagamer.wordpress.com/2010/07 ... yashi-hen/

Right now I'm unable to, but I'm so getting Higurashi/Umineko VNs as soon as I can. This is awesome.

Also, two days earlier the Umineko VN 6 english patch came out:

http://witch-hunt.com/news.html

This month is already epic. (And who can forget JULY FIRST from the ending! :lol: )
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:15 pm

It's my birthday, and I just got the first season of Higurashi on DVD!!! Now I can play it on my PS3 and etc. etc.! I already had the videos on my computer, but there's something special about watching your favorite shows on a TV.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:18 am

TheoX wrote:It's my birthday, and I just got the first season of Higurashi on DVD!!! Now I can play it on my PS3 and etc. etc.! I already had the videos on my computer, but there's something special about watching your favorite shows on a TV.
(lolbump) Nice! I've gotten the entire show (not including Higurashi Rei) on my iPod Touch... works quite well for long car trips.

Alright, I'm bored, so this post has two other purposes - First off, I've heard rumors that there's an official English dubbed version available of the anime. The internet where I'm staying is really finicky and I'll be busy most of tomorrow, so does anyone know if this is true?

Second off, I decided to do an English translation of Season 2/Higurashi Kai's intro theme (Naraku no Hana) just like I did with Season 1's. Once again, highlight to read.
Come now, let us forget about that future
Should we end up soaked in blood again
The wind wraps and coils around us on this evening
That's probably
A sign (a sign, a sign, a sign)

Escape and break free, Escape and break free
From a fate for too sad for you to endure
You're not a flower of hell at all
You're not from that place
Don't bloom there, Don't bloom there
Don't let yourself get tangled up in that place
Shattered fragments of time, flying without a sound
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 am

First off, I've heard rumors that there's an official English dubbed version available of the anime.
It's only for the first season... and from the samples I've heard on YouTube... it's not good. A few of the actors were actually really good, but they couldn't save the ones that weren't.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 am

Ah, I see. Meh, I might check it out if I get some time later.

Or I could just find the original version in Japanese with subtitles on disc... assuming such a thing exists. :lol:

EDIT2: Okay, done my transcription of the full intro. Added a few notes about the lyrics this time.
When I turned to look behind me (Who was that?)
These claws, embedded in darkness (and shredding the night)

The raindrops are turning to droplets of blood as they trickle down your cheeks
If you don't have anywhere to return to anymore...

Put your hand on top of mine, on my hand on this night
I'll take you alongside me, along with your hand
To the secret forest where the Higurashi* cry
There's no turning back for us anymore

People disappear on this night (one by one)**
To the other side of the darkness (where morning does not come)

Countless hands reaching out, from the other side of that mirror on this night
Come on, do this for me, lure someone over to that mirror

Oni-san, come here, to where my hands clap**
No matter where you go, I'll find you soon
When the Higurashi cry on that abandoned trail
The voice calling you will cease to exist

Put your hand on top of mine, on my hand on this night
I'll take you alongside me, along with that hand
To the secret forest where the Higurashi cry
There's no turning back for us anymore

Oni-san, come here, to where my hands clap
No matter where you go, I'll find you soon
When the Higurashi cry on that abandoned trail
The voice calling you will cease to exist

* - at any point in the song, the word "Higurashi" can be substituted for "cicadas". Higurashi is a Japanese type of cicada that cries late in the evening, hence the title of the anime and the song. (Guess what sound you hear most in the background...)

** - Possible reference to Hinazimawa's bizzare chain of deaths and disappearences? People disappear, one by one, every year on the Watanagashi, while another person is found dead.

*** - This is a reference to a Japanese children's game. The "Oni" (Japanese for "Demon") ties a blindfold over their eyes and attempts to find the other players by the sound of their clapping. "Oni-san, come here, to where my hands clap" is a line often used to encourage the Oni to find them.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:32 am

DP as I seem to be the only one still here

I started watching the Umineko anime, and so far at episode 8. It stands pretty well on its own, and the premise is awesome. Only complaint? The ending song is just so bad it's terrible.

Also I just had to do this

For anyone else who's planning on watching it, once you finish Arc 1, I'd like to know your opinions of the true events in the series. I'm not going to say anything about it yet, just going to throw that out there in advance, though. :wink:
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 am

The only thing I have to say about Umineko no Naku Koro ni (the anime) is that it's horribly confusing. I still greatly enjoyed it though, especially near the end of the series.

EDIT: I never understood the speaking in blue, maybe someone can explain this to me once it's showed up and you know what the heck I'm talking about. :lol:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 am

From what I know, there are two things here.

One, the reviews are pretty much identical: unlike the Higurashi anime adaptation, which kept the main plot, the characterization, and the main themes mostly intact (yes, it has a few logical holes since stuff was cut out, but it's still awesome) the Umineko anime SUCKED as an adaptation, completely derailing the original characters and leaving out information. So, I plan to just check out the original VN games, especially since 6 out of 7 are already fan-translated by Witch Hunt. I can't confirm anything, though, because I haven't seen the anime version of Umineko, but I'll assure you it's gotten to the point where people, including those who liked the Higurashi anime are saying "there is no Umineko anime".

Two, the Umineko anime only adapts VNs 1-4. 5-8 are/were planned to be included in the second season, Umineko Chiru, but I don't know if that'll ever come out, since Umineko VNs are not finished yet, the time gap is just huge. And since VN 5 and VN 6 are already translated...

From spoilers I've read this:
This is the color Beatrice uses to establish something as absolute truth. Double-check everything, though, because even though you cannot lie in this color, you CAN omit important information to misrepresent the situation.
This is Battler's hypothetical truth. The reader can believe this text until it's explicitly disproven by other events or by red text.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 2.

It scared me so much more than the whole Arc 5 of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.