POTZ - Rescue mission D

Questions and solutions for Wonderland Adventures, Mysteries of Fire Island, and Planet of the Z-Bots.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

POTZ - Rescue mission D

Post by popo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:03 pm

How do I press the green button and then get back. I've looked at the video but that uses the change direction while sliding trick and it doesn't work for me. I've thought of brring a row of ice from the green button to the room with the coins but I can't brr all the way from where I'm standing so there's one tile missing, and also then I can't see how to get to the pop charger. I've thought of using the wee stinker I just rescued to do some switching for me but can't manipulate him from there. Anyone got a clue please?
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

How do I press the green button and then get back
That's your problem right here. You don't.

I'm aware that it's possible to do so with some "change direction while sliding" and/or "shoot magic while sliding" trickery, but if you're trying to solve the level and still remain sane by the end of it, you don't. You really don't. Think of another way.

Look at the yellow button at the start and try to figure out why it's there and what is it trying to tell you. As one of the beta testers, that's all I'm going to say for now. If you need further help, ask again.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
dsg
Silver Wonderlander

Post by dsg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:10 pm

I was able to press the green button without any trickery and then got out the other side. You'll need to recharge your brr at least once before getting there and the last part requires a little bit of speed to get out before being fried after you open the white gate.

Guess I missed something on this level because I never thought about the yellow gate again after I went through it at the very start :oops: :oops:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 pm

I was able to press the green button without any trickery
Exactly how? :?

During testing, I was the main "now try to get to the green button" guy for this level. I played this level WAY too many times and I still couldn't see a way to do it in the final version. And yes, we went through a lot of revisions.

There are two main ways to press the green button that I know of:
1. Do what MyNameIsKooky did in his video, changing your direction on brr pads fast so you don't drown (which is a bug) OR
2. shooting magic while sliding (which is technically not a bug, but no "official" levels require it, so it's not a bug, but a trick)

Without one of these, I really can't see it ever happening. :? :?
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
dsg
Silver Wonderlander

Post by dsg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:26 pm

I finished this a while ago and just replayed it and totally forgot that I did use the slide and brr trick to get the final icepad in place. :oops: I usually am not very good at that but this one wasn't so hard if you position the arrow the correct number of tiles in front of you before you start your slide.

Now I need to figure out the purpose of the yellow gate when I have a little more time!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:52 am

So far what I've done is this. Got the purple key card by powing the zapbot. Killed the other zapbot behind the pink gate so I could get to the red button. Rescued one stinker, ignored the green button, and got the coin without being shot. Then gone round for the other coins through the teleporter, but then I'm stuck in there. The only other yellow gate is where the second stinker is but there's a button for that where the moobots are. Will have to go back and really study this. If it's more a matter of brain power than tricky movements I will figure it out. I will, I will, I will. :lol:
Pauline
silverkitty23
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by silverkitty23 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:39 am

don't need to do a "while sliding" trick or a "change direction on brr pad" trick... because you never need to hit the green button.

hint: the teleporter to the coin is yellow.

the other hint is that lil' stinkers take time to move, and if you command them to do something far away, you can act while they are moving...
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:24 pm

silverkitty23 wrote:hint: the teleporter to the coin is yellow.
Ah, yes, now you mention it I do recall it being yellow. So a few misdirections then? Very clever. :lol:
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:00 am

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I still can't get back out of the room with the teleporter. This is what I'm doing, or trying to do. I'm trying to get the stinker to go to the yellow button at the start by putting him as far away as I can with a floing bubble in front of him, so he gets to the button after I've been though the teleporter, but he always gets there before. I'm placing him as far to the left as I can so I can still direct him to the button while I'm standing in the middle. I can't get him any further away and still see him and the button at the same time. Yet he still gets there before I've used the teleporter.

I'm presuming I'm doing what I'm supposed to because I can't see any other way to get the coins. But I also need him to change the direction of the suction tubes, and I can't get him to do both because once I'm down where the moobots are I can't see him to move him again. I have to go in the room with the coins because I can't go straight to the other stinker with that zapbot in the way.

Totally confused. Are you sure the green button isn't suppose to be used?
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 am

The button at the start cannot be pressd again, actually. It's only there as a "hint" that yellow is important.

If you use floing in a different way, though, you'll be able to use the LEFT button to turn the teleporters back on. No need for any special tricks with the wee stinker.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 am

edit: double post, please ignore
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am

Mmmm! I think I understand. I had been trying to do a similar thing with floings and brrs to try and get a moobot to press the button. Failed miserably. Will be back shortly with a sitrep. :lol:
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 am

Well, I see what to do now, but I still can't get down there and though the teleporter quick enough, and that's even if I don't place a floing for the stinker to turn the suction tube round. I've tried placing the stinker a long way from the suction tube, and leaving the pop till last, but the bubble still bursts before I can get through the teleporter. I think I'm going to have to admit I'm never going to do this one. :cry:
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 pm

I've tried placing the stinker a long way from the suction tube, and leaving the pop till last
Correct.

Make sure to place the flo bubble when there are NO other flo bubbles on the level. But yes, some speed is required.

Oh, and make sure to do the pop part with one pop less or you won't have an extra pop to get out with the wee stinker at the very end of that corridor. :wink:

If all else fails, you can try using MyNameIsKooky's solution (with slide-turn to get to the green button) adjusting it to be easier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9ruvgjyfY

The slide-turn trick can be quite hard and doesn't always work well, but it's one trick (that you can save/load your way through) as opposed to a somewhat long section where you have to constantly maintain speed. The "difficulty in short bursts" approach might actually be more forgiving.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Muzozavr wrote:The slide-turn trick can be quite hard and doesn't always work well, but it's one trick (that you can save/load your way through) as opposed to a somewhat long section where you have to constantly maintain speed. The "difficulty in short bursts" approach might actually be more forgiving.
The slide-turn trick (which I dubbed the "fast recovery trick" a while back) is actually pretty easy to pull off consistently once you know how to do it correctly. ;)

Normally, when the stinker finishes sliding on some sort of ice, said stinker needs time to get back on his/her feet. This time normally causes the stinker to drown on Brr floats due to not being able to move. However, the fast recovery trick bypasses this time to let the stinker move immediately.

What you have to do is make sure you're not holding down the left mouse button or any movement keys as the stinker is sliding. Then, as soon as the stinker hits a wall and stops sliding, move the stinker in the desired direction. You have quite a bit of leeway on Brr floats and with practice you'll be able to pull this trick off with little trouble.

Sorry if this tutorial came off as pompous or something, but I just wanted to make this trick easier to pull off for everyone; I've been hearing people say the trick requires mashing the keyboard keys, which takes a lot more effort than necessary. :lol:

I might come back to this level later and record the intended solution.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:32 am

Muzo, I do make sure I have one pop left for the transporter. What takes my time up is moving the moobots. The fact that I have to keep changing position to pop them. I'm not very good at right click, left click, right click, move, right click, left click, right click, move, and so on. So that takes me more time that it should.

Kooky, I tried several ways while sliding. Holding down the left key while sliding down, holding down the down key then immediately switching to the left key, even the numberpad diagaonal down and left key. Even tried with the mouse, quickly clicking left after hitting the wall. None of them worked and I drowned every time.

I do appreciate all the help you're giving me, but when it comes to just not being physically quick enough there's not a lot you can do. If I ever do finish this level I will be back with a big grin on my face, and a TA DA! :lol:
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:51 am

YES! YES! YES! I did it. Managed to do the moobot bit without any delays, and that meant I didn't have to wait for the zapbot to get out of the way before I could go through the teleporter, and lo and behold, I got through it before the bubble burst. After that it was a doddle.

I must have tried that part over 50 times and that's no exageration. :shock: I have had several cups of coffee this morning though, so maybe that helped. :wink:

Thanks to everyone who helped. 8) :D
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 am

What you have to do is make sure you're not holding down the left mouse button or any movement keys
not holding
not holding
FOR THE LOVE OF... that is why I had to MASH the arrow key. :shock: :oops:
My playing style involves constantly holding an arrow key pressed until I switch to a different arrow key. It's so natural that I never even questioned it. When I tried to execute the "fast recovery" reliably, the timing appeared to be more cruel than it actually was because sometimes I was holding some other arrow key for a touch too long. So mashing the key became my working option because it automatically meant I wasn't holding anything else, I was only mashing one single key and I did it fast enough that it actually worked. :lol: It was still pretty easy for me, but I did make it harder than neccessary.

I will say, though, that if you're playing for speed, this is not just useful for tricky routes and slide-turns. In fact, if you do the fast recovery trick EVERY time you slide on ice, it saves time. I didn't get around to doing this before my computer went kapoof and my new one has an integrated videocard that utterly fails at recording game footage, but "Frostbite Cave" in WA, for example, is normally doable in 0:42, but with constant fast recoveries you can do it in 0:41, so that actually saves a second.

Anyway, that's a bit off-topic...
YES! YES! YES! I did it. Managed to do the moobot bit without any delays, and that meant I didn't have to wait for the zapbot to get out of the way before I could go through the teleporter, and lo and behold, I got through it before the bubble burst. After that it was a doddle.
See, that's the spirit! 8) I'm glad it worked for you.