POTZ - Crystal Castle

Questions and solutions for Wonderland Adventures, Mysteries of Fire Island, and Planet of the Z-Bots.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

POTZ - Crystal Castle

Post by popo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Mmmm! I've got through the maze - not sure how but I did it - been backwards and forwards through the doors and got the Pow magic. Just wondering now if it is at all possible to Pow the giant freezeflower. I've tried from all angles and just keep getting frozen. Or am I just supposed to unfreeze the wizard and get him to stand on the blue button. I know it raises tiles round the flower but not sure why. Do I have to get up close and personal with it before I can Pow it? :?
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Unfreeze Doondilf first, then POW the fireflower. It's not a requirement to do so, but it's much easier if you get as close to the iceflower as possible.

The iceflower is pretty relentless. Stand next to it and wait until it bends back, then step away before you get frozen. Now you should have enough time to POW that thing... six times in a row, actually! Thankfully, it can't fire if you keep POWing it, so just fire six times in a succession... that should be enough.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for the tip Muzo. I have Pow it over and over but must not have been close enough or done it enough times in a row. Now I think about it, wasn't there something on WA1 or WA2 that had to be Pow'd multiple times to kill it?

I will try again later, worn out now from all the sliding about. :lol:
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

In WA, the first gigantic fireflower required 3 shots to kill. I think there was something similar on one of the "Blast'Em!" levels, too.

Other than that, no, I'm not aware of enemies with more than 1 HP in the WA games.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Yes, Fireflowers and their variants (Iceflowers, etc) are the only enemies in the series that take more than 1 hit to kill. Lurkers are immune to Pow, but that's beside the point. :P
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 am

Killed the flower this morning although it did take me a few tries as I kept running out of Pow. I had a job unfreezing the wizard the second time too, after I'd killed the flower. I had to Pow him several times before he thawed out. Was it supposed to be like that or was it just me not doing it right?

I also found a sort of glitch while popping in and out of the doors. While sliding to one door I got frozen but still went through the doorway and popped out the other door unfrozen and able to carry on. Has that happened to anyone else?
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:15 pm

The wizard got frozen "in-between" tiles. That sometimes happens with brr and then there's no clear visual indication of what tile to pow. This is just an unfortunate aspect of how the game engine works.

The door trick was discovered by our beta team, but it was left unfixed. In addition, if you try to use the same doorway again, you'll find it blocked by your invisible "frozen afterimage".
Puzzle Pat
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Puzzle Pat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 pm

how did you get the pow?
i am in the big room with the flower
and i just can access up the two doors left and right then sides the upper and lower doors and that is it
i really feel stupid because i can't seem to figure it out
its driving me crazy i am days on it already

Have a nice day and good luck on test of you're adventure
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:40 pm

I don't remember exactly how I did it. But I'm sure it involved diagonal moves and that it was simpler than I first thought.
\Mette
Puzzle Pat
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Puzzle Pat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:31 am

Hello Mette

yes I do diagonal moves horizontal etc. but I all ways just miss the pow
I think I figured out if I get out of the second door to the left but that is it well back to the game lets see if I can find another route
But its driving me crazy so close and just not there

Have a good journey and a nice day
silverkitty23
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by silverkitty23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:20 am

so just north of frozen wizard, between you and flower, there's a round button with 2 brick tiles next to it.

stand on the LEFT/WEST brick tile, go SW, this should put you 2 squares left of the wizard

go north, this will cross the arena through the door you want, and come out at that door's paired door

re-enter the paired door, and you're at the door you want. slide SE to cross over the pow (then, if you like, quickly west, south west, to hide behind the frozen wizard)

you may now be frustrated that the rest of the room is red herring central :)
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:05 am

I made myself a map of the doors and which one you would come out of depending on which one you went in. Basically, going in a clockwise direction I numbered the doors 1, 3, 2, 4, 4, 1, 2, 3. So if you go in the leftmost #1 you'll come out top right #1 and so on. Working from that you need to get onto the blue round button the other side of the wizard and then slide diagonally up and right to the side of door #1, then straight down, diagonally up right into door #3, then when you come out of the other door #3 go diagonally down right and straight up to the left door #4. When you come out of the other #4 go srtaight back in again and this time when you come out of the other #4 go diagonally down right picking up the pow on the way and then immediately left and back to where you started.

I found it difficult to go straight to the blue button without getting frozen so I took the long way round and first started from the tile left of the button, went left through door #1, out and back in the other #1 and then right onto the blue button before starting the path described above. This way it confused the flower so I didn't get frozen.

It all sounds very complicated but I don't think there's a quicker way to get the pow and avoid all the water holes. Good luck. :D
Pauline
silverkitty23
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by silverkitty23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 am

that's a lot of good work and very similar to my first solution, but if you look at the post above yours, you'll see I later realized that we can skip right to your last step:
popo wrote:straight up to the left door #4. When you come out of the other #4 go srtaight back in again and this time when you come out of the other #4 go diagonally down right picking up the pow on the way and then immediately left and back to where you started.
by down "down-left" from the tile left of the button. then straight up and on as you say. made me a little sad that I had taken the long way
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:41 am

:oops: Oh yes, that would be much quicker wouldn't it? :lol: Nevermind, at least I had a good slide around and found out where each door led to. I do need a new pair of shoes now though, the soles of my old ones are just about worn out. :roll: I'll have to go and see Janet in the Academy. :wink: :lol:
Pauline
silverkitty23
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by silverkitty23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 am

from the slide animation, I conclude that it is pants(*) I need to replace more than shoes :)

(*) trousers to the British. I'm not being dirty, just American
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:59 am

Well I'm wearing cycling shorts with a padded rear, just the job for tobogganing! :wink: :lol:
Pauline
Puzzle Pat
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Puzzle Pat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:35 am

wow just that
simple solution is always overlooked by me
thanks
pinewoodave
Silver Wonderlander

Post by pinewoodave » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Any video on how to solve it
Puzzle Pat
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Puzzle Pat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Hello pinewoodave

I wouldn't now how to post a video
So tell me were are you and I will try to help
Have a nice day
pinewoodave
Silver Wonderlander

Post by pinewoodave » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 am

Thanks can you give me step by step how to solve it. Don
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:38 am

The first part, in the maze, I'm not sure there is a definite way to do it. I just kept going left or right and forward and eventually came out the other side. I think it might be a case of just keeping going for so long and you get through.
Pauline
Puzzle Pat
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Puzzle Pat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:39 am

Popo Is right there is no definite way to get to the maze
you will get trough it eventually
with the sliding is written above You just step on the second tile of the left
go diagonally down
Go up in the door
Go into that same door and you will get out at the first door go diagonally
to get the fireflower
Go back trough the same door and down
then right behind the stinker unfreeze him
go close to fireflower before he shoots you shoot him 6 times
if there is more to the level tell me because I will do it again I am anyway in star town with the one whom sends you back in time
Have a nice day
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Actually, no, there's a definite path to get through the maze.
Just go up, then right, then up again.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:12 am

I did that because that's where the wizard looked like he went, but I was still in the maze. It took me about 7 or 8 moves to get through. Going right, up, left, up, right, up, and so on in a zig zag sort of pattern. I think as long as you don't go backwards at any point you will hit on the combination that's takes you through.
Pauline
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:32 am

I should clarify: I mean starting from the first room of the maze, not the starting room with Doondilf.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:44 am

Ah! I went left or right first. I had tried just going forward all the time but that got me nowhere. So depending on how long it takes you to hit on that combination of
forward, right, forward
you could be in there for a while. :wink:
Pauline
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:13 pm

popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 am

Well that looked a lot easier than the way I did it. Almost the same but I did a lot more sliding to get where I needed to be and couldn't kill the flower from that point, so I had to get up close which took a lot longer. Oh to be young and agile again. :wink:
Pauline