General Anime/Manga Thread

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:03 am

Hmm, Seems interesting.

I'll consider it I guess...
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Latest Attack on Titan chapter (58) is on Crunchyroll.

Without spoilers... Them cliffhangers :evil: :P

QUICKEDIT: NO PHPBB I DO NOT WANT A SUNGLASSES SMILEY THANK YOU
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Latest Attack on Titan chapter (58) is on Crunchyroll.

QUICKEDIT: NO PHPBB I DO NOT WANT A SUNGLASSES SMILEY THANK YOU
gib link
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:15 pm

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga ... an/volumes

For earlier chapters, Google is your best bet. The problem there is you might get some questionably-translated results.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Qloof234 wrote:http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga ... an/volumes

For earlier chapters, Google is your best bet. The problem there is you might get some questionably-translated results.
i've already read the earlier chapters haahahahahahaha ha a

a

meanwhile thanks for the link dood
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm

A few weeks ago I started watching Nichijou. Still 5 episodes left to watch since I've been busy lately with hardly any time to watch.

Basically it's a really cute and funny slice-of-life anime that doesn't focus on one group of people all the time. There's skits that focus on 3 school girls, side characters such as the other students and school faculty, a professor and her robot, an "Igo Soccer" club, and something called "Helvetica Standard" which is completely unrelated to the other skits.

Click here to watch with English subtitles.
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Latest Attack on Titan chapter (58) is on Crunchyroll.

ISAYAMA WHY

WELL, TIME FOR YET ANOTHER MONTH OF TORTUROUS WAITING
peegman
Rainbow Wizard

Post by peegman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 am

i started watching danganronpa
yee
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 am

I've watched all the seasons of Beyblade Metal Fight, Inazuma eleven and Ben Ten
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Though I can't speak for myself, on account of that I don't really watch anime,
I do have a friend whose favorite shows are Inazuma 11 and Nurarihyon No Mago.
She also mentioned something about a "Ghost07" or something like that, to which was to be, I believe, her second favorite.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Nurarihyon no Mago is awesome. I think even manga readers don't complain about it too much, which is no small feat, especially for a Studio DEEN adaptation. Rikuo (I think that's his name) is a great character and the story was compelling through and through. Unfortunately, I think I haven't watched season 2, but that oversight will, eventually, be fixed. Anyway, it's anime like this that proves DEEN can do really good adaptations and their anti-reputation for that is exaggerated.

07-Ghost, I believe, is reported by fans to be a terrible adaptation of the manga that's not only anti-canon, but commits the sin of ending right before the real adventure begins. I presume your friend is talking about the manga. Or maybe she has never heard of the manga. Or maybe 07-Ghost is actually a decent show and the cries of "but the manga is better!" can be ignored.
Last edited by Muzozavr on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 pm

I don't know, I'll have to ask her. :lol:

TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm a big anime fan so I thought I'd jump into this thread!
Muzozavr wrote:So, has anyone seen Serial Experiments Lain? :? :lol:
Me! Pick me! :lol:
That show was one of the most confusing that I've ever seen. But it was really interesting and I couldn't stop watching. I thought the end of the show was the best part, and I recall an episode that reminded me of "Akira".
Qloof234 wrote:AttackOnStinker
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You guys are hilarious. I love Attack On Titan too. It's one of the most depressing stories ever made, but really engaging. I've read a bunch of the manga, up to the point where some of the key characters' identities have been revealed - but I don't want to spoil anything. Just that it's really good and worth reading if you guys like the anime.

Some of my favorite/recommended anime include:

Attack On Titan - see above. Impossible to look away from.
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - I avoided this show at first because I thought it was just another "mecha" anime. Boy was I wrong about this one. It's about a young man who gains the power to control people - he can give any person a single command and they are forced to obey it. He attempts to overthrow the tyrannical government to make a better world for his little sister to live in. HIGHLY recommended especially since I haven't seen it mentioned yet. The pacing is perfect, the main characters (esp. Suzaku) are multi-dimensional and interesting, the battles are spectacular, and the music is amazing. There's not one boring part in this show.
Baccano - This show is SO COOL. :shock: It's set in the 1920's Prohibition era, and centers around a number of gangs who end up all trying to rob the same train. The setup is interesting right off the bat, but it only gets more intriguing when you discover that some of the gangsters are immortal. This is a show that mixes action, suspense, supernatural powers, history, and crime-fighting all into one exciting package. It may be a bit confusing the first time watching, because the timeline jumps around between three years (before, during, and after the train heist). Watch this if you're not afraid of a complicated story that rewards you greatly upon finishing (and rewatching). Be warned that the first episode is a bit slow - but ONLY the first. The rest is a rollercoaster. -ALSO THE DUB IS UNUSUALLY AMAZING-
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni - Muzo and other forumers might remember me gushing about this show a while back. I love it 'cause it's so disturbing. It's about a boy who moves into a small, idyllic village that is quiet and peaceful... at first. Nothing is as it seems. This show masquerades as a generic romantic comedy for the first episode but quickly throws off that facade and becomes intensely creepy. Definitely NOT for the young or queasy but it's top-notch horror if that's what you're looking for.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Obviously a lot of you already know how terrific this show is. I put off watching it until recently, and quickly realized that was a mistake. It's probably the most well-crafted anime I know, and has more memorable characters than I can count! Also a great anime to introduce to people who haven't seen much anime. It's enjoyable in just about every way.
Death Note - This show, like Higurashi, is really dark, but for different reasons. The main character finds a magical book that kills anyone whose name is written in it. He decides he wants to use it to rid the world of evil... but at what cost? There is no "hero" because the show centers on moral struggle. Should you punish evil? Should you punish someone who is punishing evil illegally? It's worth mentioning that though the concept doesn't sound that exciting, it's actually a very fast-paced and dramatic show. If you want to think when you watch anime, and don't mind a dark and sinister plot, then this is a good show for you. (also the soundtrack is the BEST, 10/10 listen all the time)
Shiki - This is a show about vampires. WAIT don't go! It's completely different from any other show about these creatures. Instead of romanticizing vampires (Twilight, Vampire Knight) or turning them into an action motif (Hellsing, Blade), it approaches the genre from a literary perspective, and respects the real mythology behind vampires - Including facts like they can't come into your house without an invitation. The show centers around a few teenagers who feel out of place in their isolated mountain town, and not without reason. Something is slowly going wrong and no one knows what. This show is a bit slow paced so don't watch it if you have attention span problems. If you like mystery, horror, or supernatural plots then I definitely recommend this. It builds to a crescendo so great that I consider it one of the best endings of all anime that I've watched (and that is a lot).
Excel Saga - Unlike Shiki this show will satisfy you even if you have zero attention span. :lol: It's absolutely hilarious and one of the funniest comedies I have watched. It's also completely ridiculous. The main character is a maniacal girl working for a secret underground organization that tries many times to take over the city they live in... mostly unsuccessfully. She keeps a dog (or is it a cat?) around as "emergency food supply" and threatens to eat it constantly. Each episode ends with the words "EXPERIMENT FAILED" on the screen. Yes the show is crazy. Don't expect a real stunner of a plot, but expect to laugh at all the ways this show lampoons tropes from video games, anime, and movies. It's a riot.

TL;DR you guys should Baccano and Code Geass.
Last edited by TheoX on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:51 pm

TheoX wrote:Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni - Muzo and other forumers might remember me gushing about this show a while back. I love it 'cause it's so disturbing. It's about a boy who moves into a small, idyllic village that is quiet and peaceful... at first. Nothing is as it seems. This show masquerades as a generic romantic comedy for the first episode but quickly throws off that facade and becomes intensely creepy. Definitely NOT for the young or queasy but it's top-notch horror if that's what you're looking for.
I echo this sentiment. It's a great mystery series, and for that matter, it turns into... something I don't quite know how to put into words once you get into the second half of it (Higurashi Kai). I'd recommend reading the manga or the original VN over the anime though, the anime suffers from cut scenes quite a bit.

If you like mystery, for that matter, you should also check out the manga/VN of Umineko, the sequel to Higurashi. There's an anime adaptation of the first half of Umineko, but it suffers from A) cut scenes, much like Higurashi, B) a lack of proper explanation as to just what's going on half the time, and C) budget cuts that open up potential plot holes later on. There's also no adaptation of the second half of the series, so there's no real resolution to anything there.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Yeah, AOT and FMAB are really good. I've thought about watching Death Note but most of what I've heard about it has been offhand comments about how bad it is. I might check out Excel Saga though.
TheoX wrote:Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion [...] There's not one boring part in this show.
I must've been watching it wrong
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Nobody wrote:I've thought about watching Death Note but most of what I've heard about it has been offhand comments about how bad it is.

I don't know why this happens honestly. Maybe people read the manga and thought it was better (it is). The show is certainly SAD but I wouldn't call it BAD. Though I seem to remember some forumer talking about how they didn't like it because the main character was evil.
Nobody wrote:I might check out Excel Saga though.
Just keep in mind it's utterly insane. You should be prepared with this mindset.
Nobody wrote:I must've been watching it wrong
Well.. um... *tries to think of something boring in Code Geass* I guess the political stuff might turn some people off. I'm curious what you thought was boring? (Also how far did you get in it?) Almost every episode ends in a cliffhanger. :lol:

EDIT: post additions.
EDIT2: I just learned that Attack On Titan and Death Note have the same director. What.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm

Come to think of it, there's a new Higurashi VN coming out in August this year, called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (Gift, as is my understanding).

Don't know any specifics regarding what the new arc is about, but yeah.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Come to think of it, there's a new Higurashi VN coming out in August this year, called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (Gift, as is my understanding).

Don't know any specifics regarding what the new arc is about, but yeah.
I've heard about it being a compilation of Higurashi + Higurashi Kai + Rei + a new arc, but I can't be sure.

I'm just waiting for the Steam retranslation and hoping that the music will be patchable. I remember my ADHD kicking in before I got to finish reading arc 3, after that I had no time, now I'm waiting for the retranslation to read everything with better prose quality. :lol: I really need to read the entire VN, though, the parts that I did read were really good and the anime adaptation does have its problems.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm

TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:03 am

Emerald141 wrote:I'm 20 episodes in and so far I don't have any major complaints ... ... ... Then again, I still have half of the series left to go and there's no guarantee that this metaphorical chess match won't be decided by a series of metaphorical blunders, which would be disappointing.
There's a part of the series right in the middle where it gets slow, and slightly confusing. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it, probably. It doesn't involve terrible blunders, but you may question the writers for slowing the pace of the show. If you can deal with that, then you'll surely enjoy the rest of the show.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Alright, after asking her, it seems to be the anime she watches.

She also wants me to watch the first episode of something called "Black Jack". :|
Not sure if that's been heard before or not.

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:07 am

So I finally got back into reading the Umineko VN.

I still haven't made it very far (Just past the Second Twilight in Turn), but

it is amazing

Though I'll readily say right now, discussing the... lovely details of it on here wouldn't be appropriate.

(It's pretty gruesome)
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, about the Black Jack anime...

I do must have to say, I really am liking it; it's very touching. :mrgreen:
'Tis slighly unusual though. :D

TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 am

I thought of some more anime recommendations, if anyone cares. :lol:
The following are what I call the "Terrific Trio" - three famous, moderately old shows that make up for it in quality. My previous recommendations were more radical and some were more unknown. But these three, almost everyone's heard of them. I wanted to share anyway. One caveat of these shows is that they all start in an "episodic" format where some of the episodes don't seem to connect. But then they start to develop ongoing conflicts as the show goes on. Not too many cliffhangers, but really interesting storylines that slowly converge. Anyway, I'd recommend to anyone to try each of these 3 shows at least once in their lifetime. You may be pleasantly surprised by them.

Samurai Champloo - Funny name, awesome show. This is one of the most stylistically cool anime I've ever seen, and it shows right away in the intro. To paraphrase That Dude In The Suede, "Rap in an anime intro? And it's GOOD!?" The show follows an outlaw and a samurai as they reluctantly help a girl solve a mystery from her past, because they both owe her a debt. As the story progresses their chemistry only gets funnier, the fights get better, and the storyline more satisfying. Also a certain episode ranks near the top of my imaginary "most beautiful scenes ever written" list. Definitely watch a little just for the art alone.
Trigun - If you like action, you'll be sucked right into this one in the INTRO. It's air guitar heaven. But seriously, this show rocks for many reasons. Of the "Terrific Trio", it's the one that digs into the ongoing plot the fastest. It stars Vash "The Stampede", a guy who can't stay in one place too long because he accidentally brings destruction wherever he goes. He has an enormous price on his head, for a crime he doesn't remember committing. Behind the cheerful exterior is a dark past, and secrets that dark forces want to exploit... The show starts out very happy, but it starts getting serious pretty fast. It handles some dark themes along the way and doesn't hold back near the end. I'd love to talk about the ending of this one with some of you guys if you've seen it.
Cowboy Bebop - Probably the most famous of the trio. Have you ever seen the TV show "Firefly"? If so, you'll know some of what to expect here. It's about a team of space-cruising bounty hunters that will do any job to get by. They get new members along the way and get into some pretty crazy adventures. The setting and mix of space/sci-fi and western themes here is really cool, and the show is generally a treat for the eye at all times. Also it has a jazzy, stylish opening theme that's really unique. As the show progresses and you get to know the characters more, you will see that there is way more to them than meets the eye. This show isn't the "BEST EVAR" like some people claim, but it's really good. You can show it to people who don't normally like anime and they'd like it.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:12 pm

haha, ive recently started watching cowboy bebop. it seems cool i guess
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Sammy_P wrote:haha, ive recently started watching cowboy bebop. it seems cool i guess
Hey you know how you're always pointlessly bashing Firefly despite you never having seen it?
TheoX wrote:Have you ever seen the TV show "Firefly"? If so, you'll know some of what to expect here.
Yeah. Ha.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:32 pm

Master Wonder Mage wrote:
Sammy_P wrote:haha, ive recently started watching cowboy bebop. it seems cool i guess
Hey you know how you're always pointlessly bashing Firefly despite you never having seen it?
TheoX wrote:Have you ever seen the TV show "Firefly"? If so, you'll know some of what to expect here.
Yeah. Ha.
8)
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfano8FvbB8
I personally don't watch Nichijou but a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) sent me this and I couldn't help but laugh.

Also has anybody here watched Hetalia? I used to be interested in it but I've never watched it.
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:26 am

Not sure if anyone has heard of Aho Girl before, but this is honestly one of the funniest 4-koma I've read so far. Great for a good laugh. :P
llarson wrote:I personally don't watch Nichijou but a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) sent me this and I couldn't help but laugh.
Watch this. I DARE YOU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z30Y572EmCk
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:17 am

Someone help me, I am in deep trouble!

I have never watched anime before (well, I watched like two random episodes of some animes and a few pokemon episodes), and so I would like to start on this. Anyone has suggestions? Because there's just so many ones to choose from. Me personally, any anime that involves combat would be good. :)