Inward Hellix -- online riddle

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Inward Hellix -- online riddle

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Some time ago, on the old off-topic forums, I've left a link to this wonderful game. Since then, the new off-topic forum has appeared and a lot of stuff changed in the meantime. At one point, the entire Inward Hellix website was completely offline for a long time and nobody was sure whether it would actually appear once more. Thankfully, it did, allowing people to continue playing. There's now a stable domain for it and everything works fine once again.

The game is HERE. Beware: heavy Flash use and very creepy atmosphere. Dark, eerie music (most taken from Silent Hill) and strange sounds will accompany you on the journey... and the journey will be extremely difficult. This is a very challenging game.

Last time I gave you the link, there were 60 levels, but now there are more. However, the Hall of Fame for those who solve the first 60 levels is still available. The official FORUM has a lot of useful hints -- and some not so useful...

I write this after having successfully finished level 60 -- you can see my name on the Hall of Fame.

The only thing I'm requesting is NO SPOILERS -- hints are allowed, spoilers aren't. Spoilers absolutely destroy this particular sub-genre of games, so... let's be fair to the creators and to each other and keep Inward Hellix what it is... a dark and twisted journey with puzzles like no others in the world.

If you've played online riddles before, you know how to play this game. If you haven't, there's an 8-level tutorial (very simple) that explains everything.

As someone, whose name is on the 60-level Hall of Fame, I invite you on this creepy, amazing journey. :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:48 am

this is pretty cool
no
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:41 am

I have only made it to level 5. How pitiful...
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:56 am

StinkerSquad01 wrote:I have only made it to level 5. How pitiful...
It's OK. That happens. It's not a game meant to be solved quickly. There IS a guy who has somehow managed to solve the entire game in about 2.5 weeks, but that's the exception, not the rule. :wink:

Have you looked at the source code in 5? There's an important "hint" there. Take it a bit more literally than you normally would.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm not surprised that I can't beat Tutorial Level 8, even though I know whaty to look for I can't find anything. The picture hint doesn't help either ):
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:54 pm

I presume you're on the first part of tutorial 8, right? There are three separate parts to it...

You don't really have to "look" for anything once you have the mishmash of letters from the picture. There's a hint in the source that tells you exactly what to do. Now just pay a bit more attention to the letters. They seem random, but there's a pattern that can be found. Use the source hint to know what to do.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Oh, I've found that subpage, but I don't know what to do with the hint there.

EDIT: JK. I'm further now.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Good luck on 6, it's fairly difficult. 7 is really easy if you don't overthink and pay attention, while 8 is really smart. I love 8. It's one of my favorite levels in the game. Let me know when you get to 8. :P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:31 pm

I hate 8. I can't figure it out at all, even with a ton of clues. :(
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Is this game supposed to be scary?
You posed dramatically.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:14 pm

loofisawesome wrote:Is this game supposed to be scary?
Sort of, but don't worry, nothing pops out at you for no reason. :lol: The writing is vaguely creepy (not very) and the game uses a ton of various scary music and sounds (many of which are taken from various Silent Hill OSTs) but that's about it. If you find yourself too disturbed by the music and sounds, you can block Flash and Quicktime to avoid hearing the music. Though there's one spooky level where you actually need to listen to the sound, but it's quite far in the game, you probably won't get there any time soon.

EDIT: To put it another way, if you can listen to THIS (actually used in Inward Hellix once) for an extended period of time while staring at a difficult level and still maintain sanity, you should be fine. It's subjective, but I think this is one of the scariest music tracks Inward Hellix ever uses.
Qloof234 wrote:I hate 8. I can't figure it out at all, even with a ton of clues.
You're gonna love it once you realize how it works. :P Think about how to interpret the table in the source code and how to connect it with what you have. When you get to a sub-page, don't forget to check for hidden clues, then you'll be able to use the same method again.
Last edited by Muzozavr on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:27 pm

Mmm... level 11 is really annoying. I get the hints from the source code, but no matter what [edit:steganography] I do, it doesn't help.
Last edited by ~xpr'd~ on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:30 pm

~xpr'd~ wrote:Mmm... level 11 is really annoying. I get the hints from the source code, but no matter what stenography I do, it doesn't help.
It's called steganography, even though Firefox's spellchecker apparently doesn't know such a word... and there's none of that on 11. Look at the picture name, then think about the source hint once more.

You're pretty fast, by the way.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 pm

I've solved 8, but now I hate it even more, sorry Muzo. :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:45 pm

Aaaawwwww, I still love its idea. :lol:

I'm going to make a guess and say you probably won't like 13. Even though the solution is totally different (of course) the design has certain similarities, giving it a similar feel to 8.

The worst level in the game is actually 22, IMO, but you have plenty of levels before that. :lol: The final clue on 56 is pretty shoddy, too (even though the rest of the level is sheer genius) but you have even more levels before THAT. :lol: :lol: :lol:
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Evil One

Post by loofisawesome » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:10 am

I feel very stupid. :lol:
I don't even know what to do on LEVEL ONE.
You posed dramatically.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Re: Evil One

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:14 am

loofisawesome wrote:I feel very stupid. :lol:
I don't even know what to do on LEVEL ONE.
Have you played through the tutorial? If no, it might help you to understand the game in general.

As for level one... remember that the answer lies between. :wink: (as told by the source code)

"Between what?" Look at the URL and think where you want to go. It's simple, I promise.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:32 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH.... there was a tutorial? :shock:
You posed dramatically.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:48 am

Oh gosh. In conjunction with a bunch of friends, I just got to level 13... and I'm already not liking it.
she/her | Sayori#2285
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:05 am

Can't even get past level 1. Sorry, don't like point-and-click games.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:38 am

garirry wrote:Sorry, don't like point-and-click games.
lol
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:21 am

Can't seem to get past tutorial #8. Will try to continue tomorrow though.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:22 am

And now a group of us are stuck on 14... This level's long.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:58 am

Ugh... We've found Terminal Pain and the numbers, but what do we do with them? :?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:57 am

EDIT: Never mind, we did it. Woo!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:24 am

Aside from the fact that the very first bit of 14 is a little underclued, how did you like it? It's another one of my favorite levels. :lol:

And Qloof234, did you enjoy 13's solution? :P

EDIT: Oh, and to garriry, maybe you can't get past level 1 because it's not a point-and-click game. :lol: (except for level 2, which is a "clicky" level and even then there's a slight trick) If you play the tutorial, you'll understand how the game actually works. :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:36 am

13 was... interesting, to say the least. I laughed at it more than once, first because of the trick giving me just "ew" immediately, and then because of the solution itself. :lol:

As for 8, I think I hate it more because the group of us on Skype were going through some of the puzzles together, and everyone else was able to easily figure it out while I was just sitting there, wondering what everyone was on about even with a whole bunch of clues. :P

14 was interesting and funny in hindsight, because at one point I actually tried the exact step that gave us the solution, but I got the placement slightly off and ended up with gibberish. I think we spent another hour or so working on it after that before "taking a break" (during which we found the answer).
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:16 am

DP

Well, we made it to 25... Which I think is actually the dumbest riddle so far. This just doesn't make any sense at all (we're on the first part).

Both the source hints and the forum thread are infuriatingly vague. Do you think you could give us a clearer hint, Muzo? :P :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:27 am

Can you PM me your logic on how you figured out 22? I needed a happy accident to solve that one.

As for the first part of 25... it's hard to give a hint without giving it away, because the operation is so simple, but the clues in the riddle are mostly OK.

"a 1--------><!><!--------2 z" That's your most important clue here. This is, in fact, very close to the "giving it away" I was talking about.

The "wrong angle" clue should make things even clearer.

Even the picture itself is in a way a hint towards what to do. :P There are more than enough clues in this one.

I never really understood the "From one up to two" clues, though, especially because seem to negate each other, but oh well, that wasn't too important.

Anyway, once you make it past the first part, get ready for GIMP torture. Solving the second part is actually quite easy... reading the answer? If you don't do your image editing EXACTLY right, the answer is almost impossible to read. :lol:
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 am

On 28c now. Noooo idea on what the login is. Hints? :o