WA: A New Era (Hub) (Canceled)

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

WA: A New Era (Hub) (Canceled)

Post by Timecrokba » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 pm

This project has been canceled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Timecrokba on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
My Level List

"Its almost scary how go to bed" -Morgana Probably. Persona 5 if you don't know what thats from.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Nice hub! I liked everything about the demo of the hub.

You'll probably always be better than me at decoration, because I saw really good decoration in your hub. :D
Timecrokba wrote: Anyways, go on ahead and enjoy the demo.
The Demo Has Been Enjoyed!

Edit 5/17/17: Oh, apparently I lied. :P I'm better than ye at decorating now.
Last edited by FinnThor on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Hint: If you press Enter over adjustments like Height and Floor-type in the wall/floor editor, you can edit other features in across a level like Random, Smooth/Jagged, and Square/Round without affecting the crossed-out things. This might help you make the outdoor areas look more bumpy and natural.

Otherwise, this is a pretty good hub. Interesting story, I like the disconnect between the events in the first puzzle area and everything outside. Maybe work a bit on the maze in "Into the Temple" and the labyrinth in "Back of the Temple" as they're a bit boring.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Enjoyed it very much, thanks! My main piece of feedback would be that, at least in my opinion, what you have so far should be... stretched out a little bit so that dialog, tutorials, etc. can be fleshed out more, but that's just my two cents. Look forward to seeing what happens next. :)
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Bump

So, now that the initial "Oh no school is starting!" panic is out of the way for me, I decided I should get back to working on Wonderland things, mainly this. So I want to ask a few questions for things in the hub, mainly:

Should I include tutorials?
Should I reference other adventures/hubs?
Should I reference things outside of Wonderland?
Should I include custom content?
What type of areas should I include?

I guess I'll find answers next time on Dragon-ball Z... but oh well. Also, I added Progress Bars, so have fun with that.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 pm

Timecrokba wrote:Bump

So, now that the initial "Oh no school is starting!" panic is out of the way for me, I decided I should get back to working on Wonderland things, mainly this. So I want to ask a few questions for things in the hub, mainly:

Should I include tutorials?

I guess I'll find answers next time on Dragon-ball Z... but oh well. Also, I added Progress Bars, so have fun with that.
1. Yes, but make most of them optional. Anyone who's going to play a custom hub on this forum probably knows enough Wonderland to figure it out.

2. You gotta ask the author if it's a big reference.

3. Why not?

4. So long as it's not excessive.

5. Fun areas! :P
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:12 am

Timecrokba wrote: Should I include tutorials?
Tutorials are up to you. If you want to make it feel like a complete game, sure. But, since the players will all be acquainted with the game, you can freely skip it if you feel like it would detract from the gameplay or story.

References to anything are fair game; obviously, don't conflate plagiarism with referencing, and lift entire segments from some other adventure, but throwing in references shouldn't cause problems. Ask for permission if you desire to maximize your politeness, but it shouldn't really matter. Outside of Wonderland, people will inevitably miss the reference (so you probably shouldn't make the reference itself central to the plot), but the fact that people won't get my references has never stopped me in the past and never will stop me.

I can't really say you should or shouldn't use custom content, but custom content is a staple of a lot of adventures. There's no problem using it, provided you don't use it simply for the sake of using it. Also, while I personally love using music packs, I recommend you limit yourself to 1 or 2. It's inconvenient for someone to have to download every music pack just to play one hub.

As for what areas should be included, I'm not really in a position to say. Any type of area can be designed well or poorly. Like everything I mentioned above, you primarily just need to think of how it would fit into your hub.

I just played through the demo, by the way, and my critiques are roughly similar to Wonderman's: avoid mazes with no threats/puzzles inside the maze, since then it is just walking (Mazes with chompers are also a bit of a cliche, so you should probably avoid having mazes with the only gimmick being that there's a chomper added as well), and the spiral thwart thing was a bit too repetitive/long. Also, it seemed a little bit odd that the whole void thing happened in the temple, and seemed to have absolutely no effect (although, I understand that that was kinda the endpoint of the demo, so it makes sense). Nonetheless, it did seem really weird that the player's reaction was to leave the temple and go back to what he was doing beforehand, without commenting on it or changing what he says to other-guy if he goes into other-guy's house.
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. So I'd like to respond to a few critiques/helpful hints.
Wonderman wrote:If you press Enter over (ect...)
Thanks for the extremely helpful tip. The world will now look more (or less) natural!
Wonderland King wrote:What you have so far should be... stretched out a bit (Ect...)
Initially, Dr. Peter Lankton (That's now his name.:lol:) was going to be a throwaway character, so that's why he wasn't really fleshed out too much. As for everything else... yeah, I need to extend that a bit and add a bit of flavor.
Master Wonder Mage wrote: ... Outside of Wonderland, people inevitably miss the reference (So you probably shouldn't make the reference itself a plot point) ... Avoid having mazes ... seemed a bit odd the whole void thing happened in the temple ... it seemed weird the player's reaction was to go back to what he was doing beforehand without commenting on it or changing (Dr.Peter Lankton's) dialogue if he talks to him again.
Wow, that is a long post. Not to say that's bad... just kinda didn't expect it. Anyhow, responses. I understand not everyone will get the references, that is kind of the nature of them, and no references would (really) be part of the story, the characters, on the other hand.
Ok, I'll remove the maze and labyrinth, I see where the problem is now with that.
Not alot you can do with 3 commands, you know? While I should have made the PC mention what is happening, why its only barely outside the temple will be explained later on. (Little Hint, though, keep an eye on the lower-right crystal in the temple. It might explain the tiniest bit.)

Edit: All the ones I responded to have Wonder in their name... Wow.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Removed
Last edited by FinnThor on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:07 am

Bump, kinda?

For anybody remotely interesting in this hub anymore, I'm putting it on hold until March, at which point I will restart the hub, to help with problems the current demo has.

There is no real reason why its March, I just need time to think about where I'm going to take it, so I feel 3 months should give me enough time to think.
Yoda
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Yoda » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Timecrokba wrote:Bump, kinda?

For anybody remotely interesting in this hub anymore, I'm putting it on hold until March, at which point I will restart the hub, to help with problems the current demo has.

There is no real reason why its March, I just need time to think about where I'm going to take it, so I feel 3 months should give me enough time to think.
I totally understand, before I started working on my hub I was thinking about it. When I got a good idea I was started working and because that I made a big progress. Here's advice:
work on hub only when you have a good idea, only in that way will turn out well.
Good luck!
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Well, it's June... any decisions made or is this a lost cause?

Also, if there was a new topic posted for the remake of this hub and I missed it, mind linking it to me so I can switch the current link I have in the hub list with that one? :)
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 am

Jutomi wrote:Well, it's June... any decisions made or is this a lost cause?

Also, if there was a new topic posted for the remake of this hub and I missed it, mind linking it to me so I can switch the current link I have in the hub list with that one? :)
Timecrokba is non-existant; it's a lost cause, although after CvP 5 we exchanged a few PMs.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Jutomi wrote:Well, it's June... any decisions made or is this a lost cause?

Well... it kind of depends on if I decide to continue making Wonderland stuff period. If I decide to start making adventures again, this would be one of my highest priorities.

So, basically, its a maybe, it depends on if I continue to gain passion for wonderland, which is starting to come back.

Now to not post again for a while because I'm suppose to be gone :P
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:52 pm

BUMP

Did anyone remember this exists? Nor did I.

I'm officially canceling this hub (big surprise, I know), the main reason being I can't make difficult puzzles for later in the hub.
I will be starting to make adventures again though.
Yoda
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Yoda » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Timecrokba wrote:BUMP

Did anyone remember this exists? Nor did I.

I'm officially canceling this hub (big surprise, I know), the main reason being I can't make difficult puzzles for later in the hub.
I will be starting to make adventures again though.
Oh :(

Of course I remember this! I am sad because you canceled it but I understand...

I'm glad you will come back and start making adventures again, that's awesome!