Wonderland for Mac

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

annedanner
Rainbow SuperStar

Wonderland for Mac

Post by annedanner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Patrick,

Will you be developing a version for Mac users any time soon?
Anne
My List
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 pm

I may be wrong, but perhaps this could help?
annedanner
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by annedanner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Thank you, WK.
Anne
My List
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:02 am

No problem - hope it helps! :)
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 am

If you have a legally obtained Windows CD, you could set up Boot Camp to install Windows alongside MacOS, and choose which one to start each time you boot the computer. Or, you could download virtual machine software (I recommend VirtualBox, it's free and open-source, other options are available) to run them side-by-side, but you'll need a fairly decent computer if you want to run a recent version.
There's also a free and open-source product called Wine which I use to run Wonderland on my Linux PC. They made a version for Mac too, which you could try.
CrossOver is also a good non-free solution.
annedanner
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by annedanner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks so much, Cloud. I have a MacBook Pro - would you consider that fairly decent?
Anne
My List
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

annedanner wrote:Thanks so much, Cloud. I have a MacBook Pro - would you consider that fairly decent?
If your model is a Retina-display one (or the newest one with the Touch Bar) then yes, it's good for Wonderland.

A native version is probably never going to happen unless Patrick recreated Wonderland with a game engine that's not from the 90s.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 am

Aren't there several models of Macbook Pro?
If we're talking about running Windows in a virtual machine (VM), any of the models should be able to run Windows XP. I'd recommend assigning 128MB RAM to the VM, maybe 256 if you find it running slower than would be nice. I expect you'll be able to run Vista with simiar specs, though you may find that certain graphical window effects don't show up. You'll also probably need to bump the RAM to 512MB (or more, if you have it).
For Windows 7/8/10 you'll probably need a Mac made after 2011 if you want a smooth experience, and they'll need significantly more RAM.
Just make sure that you don't assign more than half of your Mac's RAM to the VM. VirtualBox recommends a RAM size when you create the VM, and warns you if you assign too much. However, I had a lot of trouble making 3D games work, but it might just be that VirtualBox has trouble and other software does it fine, or that Linux sucks. Just a heads-up.
If you plan on using Boot Camp, do your research, make sure you know about how partitions work, and definitely use a real CD, not some pirated download. The advantages are fast performance, full graphics support, and no emulation troubles.
The disadvantages are that it's difficult to transfer files between operating systems (the easiest way is a FAT32 formatted flash drive), and you must reboot to switch between them. (VMs run Windows inside of Mac, both at the same time. You use Windows like it's any other Mac application.)
There's likely numerous articles online about Boot Camp versus Virtual Machines. Do some research and let me know how it goes!

Patrick has said that future games will be designed with cross-platform support in mind, or words to that effect. I don't expect that Wonderland will be ported, ever.

Whoops, I rambled on a bit more than I was expecting to.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:35 pm

All recent MacBook Pros support Boot Camp.

I don't recommend using VirtualBox because of the performance drop, but if you don't mind you can definitely go with this route.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:17 am

I prefer VirtualBox simply because it is free software. VMWare and Parallels are the two leading commercial applications. I believe they both offer free trials.

Although all Macbook Pros support Boot Camp, you will of course still need good enough hardware to run the OS of your choice at a reasonable speed. I don't expect that to be a problem, though.
annedanner
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by annedanner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.
Anne
My List
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:30 am

Yeah pretty much what was said above.

Boot Camp is if your computer is too weak to run Wonderland in a virtual machine. Basically it means you're installing Windows alongside macOS so that the games run at native speed. Even if your computer is really old, it should be powerful enough to run Wonderland games. Of course it's less convenient since you need to restart the computer every time you want to switch systems.

If your computer is not too bad, then virtual machines are the thing to use. VirtualBox is free, but it's not perfect. If you want to get real serious, then purchase Parallel Desktop or VMWare Fusion. But I'd avoid that if you don't actually need it that much.

Avoid Wine. Just please, don't use it, it's awful. Ignore the Crossover product WK posted, I don't think it's a very good option and Parallel Desktop and VMWF are better options anyway.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:52 am

garirry wrote:Avoid Wine. Just please, don't use it, it's awful. Ignore the Crossover product WK posted, I don't think it's a very good option.
As someone interested in possibly switching to Linux at some point in the future, may I ask why? (And for the record, yes, this is a legitimate question - I'm not trying to confront you or anything.)
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:08 am

Wonderland King wrote:As someone interested in possibly switching to Linux at some point in the future, may I ask why? (And for the record, yes, this is a legitimate question - I'm not trying to confront you or anything.)
Simply because I've never heard of this program and I've used software that is very good from my own experience and others will say the same thing. On Mac, as I said earlier, you have Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion which work fantastically and cost about the same as your program. On Linux, you're better off with VMWare Workstation, which, while pretty expensive, is an extremely good choice. I just think it's better to use a software that is accepted as being good (including by myself) than a software that is obscure.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:19 am

Fair enough - I still think Wine and its related products could be useful, but should I ever make the switch, I'll check out some of the others as well.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 am

Wonderland King wrote:As someone interested in possibly switching to Linux at some point in the future, may I ask why? (And for the record, yes, this is a legitimate question - I'm not trying to confront you or anything.)
I currently run Linux. (Switched from Windows.)
Wine is a great piece of software, at least it is on Linux. It can run many Windows applications and programs. I've got it to work with every Wonderland game (except for POTZ and the new editor), MOUL and various other programs. For the ones that don't work straight away, there's PlayOnLinux: a graphical front-end for Wine that solves many problems and makes everything much more convenient. Using POL I can run osu! and SMBX and a few other things.
This really isn't the right topic though. Go ahead and start something Linux-related in the off-topic area, and I'll happily answer any questions you have!
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm

I may take you up on that offer in the future, thanks! :)