[Release] BREAKTHROUGH! Wonderland Modding!

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

[Release] BREAKTHROUGH! Wonderland Modding!

Post by HumanGamer » Mon May 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Update:
Updated Mod: viewtopic.php?t=27106&highlight=
New Modding IDE and updated IDA Plugin (including IDA 7.0 version): viewtopic.php?t=27107&highlight=

Hey All,

It's been awhile. I currently don't have internet at home, and while I had college, I had to focus on that. As such I won't be able to help you with modding more than this post.
However, I will be at my college until around 8 PM Eastern Standard Time (North America), and I will be checking back here a few times today.

Now, on to the information ;)

You'll need to download my tools and mod sources if you want to make mods: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q41my ... dTools.zip
If you're just here for talking inanimate objects and the return of bounce in the form of rainbow magic, you can download the patch here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/hryik ... 3E_Mod.zip
It includes 2 sample adventures and the modified files. You will have to replace the files in your WA3E install. Also I was messing with other unused magic types, so uh, now the white magic plays the wakka sound xD
This patch includes modified versions of wg.exe and editor3d.exe from the WA3 Editor. I think that's okay because they are free to begin with. However, if I'm not allowed to post these, I'd like a moderator to send me a PM before 8 PM, so I can find a work around such a using Lunar IPS.

As for creating mods, read the following:

Your going to need IDA Pro 6.8 and my plugin. IDA Pro is a very expensive professional software. Unfortunately I don't know of any alternatives. I've included the source code to my IDA plugin so if you know of an alternative, you can port it over.

You will also need Resource Hacker. It's a free program, and should be the first result if you search it on Google.

You need to extract the Blitz Code out of the executable. It's in the RCDATA section.
Save it to a *.bbc file.
When your done modding you just need to reimport the modified *.bbc file.
And don't forget to make backups!

Also I've noticed if you take a *.bbc from an older game such as WSW and import it into the latest version of Blitz3D, the game loads so fast on my computer that the loading screen literally flashes for a split second and then it's at the main menu. I guess the Blitz team did some optimizations since then!

You can use IDA to find the memory addresses you need as it will disassemble the code for you. If you have the Hex-Rays Decompiler (which is also expensive), you can decompile to C++, making things much easier.

Once you've found the spot you want to inject code into, you want to replace the code there with a jump call to your code. You can add your code to the end of the program using my BlitzPatcher.
Just make sure that whatever code you replaced, you include into your code. (unless of course you want that code removed)

You can add a symbol with BlitzPatcher and then add a jump call to that for when your code is done. (If you don't jump back, the code will just continue from where you are currently and MAV or have other strange unexpected results)

To use my BlitzPatcher (which is required for modding), you will need the Java JDK and Eclipse, as well as knowledge in the Java programming language. Unfortunately I didn't have time to look into making a scripting language for the mods. So you have to deal with this.

All the mods are currently hard-coded into BlitzProject.java. You can add your mods in there too.

Some of the functions use file offsets and some use relative offsets (it's fileoffset - 4 with blitz), however I don't remember which is which.
You can look at my already made mods to figure it out.

Some of the mods, such as rainbow magic, were made prior to making a custom assembler, and were written as .bin files in a hex editor, with all the relocs hard-coded in java.

One of the mods I made, which you will have to compile yourself, is a WSW mod. It loads the worldmap, and story from a file. However, the load story function seems to partially override the load level function for whatever reason causing random MAVs when restarting levels. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet.
Anyway, along with this mod, I made a WorldMap editor and a Story editor in C#, which I've included.

I also made a beachball in RTW, which is basically a boulder that floats and is destroyed by cannon fire. It works well, however I believe I missed something when I made it because when you roll the ball, it will sometimes destroy wooden boxes, and other times will push them, or simply go through them, it's really strange.

Keep in mind that modding Wonderland is EXTREMELY COMPLICATED.

It takes me about 3 days to write a single mod. All nighters included.

I almost forgot, I included a modified version of the Blitz3D runtime that uses the _cdecl calling convention. If you can't get the wonderland alpha from the midnight collection cd to work on modern computers, import the *.bbc into those exe files and it will work. It's still 16 bit unless you do a quick edit of the bbc, so you will probably need to use the windowed exe file unless your computer supports full screen in 16 bit, which is rare now-a-days.

Either way, hopefully someone on these forums will be able to make mods as well as me. But if not, luckily you have rainbow magic and a new logic type ID: 472 (for inanimate objects with dialog) to play with ;)

PS: This can be used with ANY game made in Blitz3D or BlitzPlus, not just wonderland :D

PSS: If anyone makes a video of my sample adventures or their own using this and uploads before 8 PM, I'd really appreciate it ;)

Enjoy!

Thanks!

~ Matt

EDIT: Forgot to mention, apologies for the messy code. I was just experimenting and not really expecting things to work.
Last edited by HumanGamer on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Re: [Release] BREAKTHROUGH! Wonderland Modding!

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 pm

First of all, let me say, this is pretty amazing that you've been able to get this together. I can only imagine the new possibilities with the editor now that we have more direct control over the game assets themselves. Thank you.
cooldudepoke wrote:This patch includes modified versions of wg.exe and editor3d.exe from the WA3 Editor. I think that's okay because they are free to begin with. However, if I'm not allowed to post these, I'd like a moderator to send me a PM before 8 PM, so I can find a work around such a using Lunar IPS.
According to the WA3E Fair Use Statement, no components of the editor may be distributed outside of the board, so as far as I can see, keep this local and you're fine. However, keep in mind that it is still copyrighted, but it shouldn't be a problem.
cooldudepoke wrote:Your going to need IDA Pro 6.8 and my plugin. IDA Pro is a very expensive professional software. Unfortunately I don't know of any alternatives. I've included the source code to my IDA plugin so if you know of an alternative, you can port it over.
The only decent alternative I know of off of the top of my head is the free and open-source radare, and although I haven't used it much myself, I know it does rival IDA in some ways (specifically, heh, the price). Plus, it has a really nice interface. I'll see if I can port over your IDA plugin, but I'm a bit busy today, so I might not get much progress before 8PM, sorry.
cooldudepoke wrote:To use my BlitzPatcher (which is required for modding), you will need the Java JDK and Eclipse, as well as knowledge in the Java programming language. Unfortunately I didn't have time to look into making a scripting language for the mods. So you have to deal with this.

All the mods are currently hard-coded into BlitzProject.java. You can add your mods in there too.
I have experience in Java, so if anyone has some problems, you can get some consulting from me. Keep in mind I'm not an expert and I do have school and a job, so I'm not going to code everything for you, but I certainly am up to helping you out (well, once I figure it out too).

Thank you again, cooldude. This will certainly help breathe some more life into what seems to be a dying community. (Maybe I'm wrong on that. I've been gone for a while. No offense, everyone.)
she/her | Sayori#2285
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm glad to be of help :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Mon May 30, 2016 6:13 pm

This looks amazing. Thank you. :D
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:22 pm

Impressive!
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:04 am

I been thinking, should we reprogram WA and WSW for fun so it will be easier to add our own custom game play elements?
cooldudepoke and me were working on a remake of wonderland for fun but never finish it.
ALEXALEX976
Silver Wonderlander

Post by ALEXALEX976 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:58 pm

I think you forgot to put "bltzbasic_imports.idc" file in the zip. (IDA says its missing)
BTW good job! :)
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 pm

ALEXALEX976 wrote:I think you forgot to put "bltzbasic_imports.idc" file in the zip. (IDA says its missing)
BTW good job! :)
Ooops... My bad. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1641 ... mports.idc
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

ALEXALEX976
Silver Wonderlander

Post by ALEXALEX976 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Thank you! :)
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Wonderland... Modded!?!‽

Post by Jutomi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Oh my goodness... Cooldudepoke, you're a genius! :mrgreen:

I know I've already said this to you, but I just wanted to say it again before I linked my three videos on the sample adventures you made on this. :lol:

Really, thank you very much for helping me download this and incredibly so for making this in the first place!
This really could be one of the largest things to ever come to Wonderland. :o

I've enjoyed incredibly much, Matt. I hope you enjoy these. :mrgreen:

Bounce Returns!,
Timing is Everything! Part 1,
and
Timing is Everything! Part 2!
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am

Except for bug fixing and modding I look forward to enabling new options in the Editor, so we don't have to cope with the PowerWOP and hex editors. I'll take a look at it and try to remove the page limit in the Editor, make Logic 6 actually useful, add custom music and PNG textures, make the Editor recognise the newly discovered parameters and maybe also remove the texture bending at tile corners (I've never liked the feature). Redoing Flash so it doesn't require a floor tile would be nice as well.

I'm ready for collaboration if you wish to help, releasing a community patch for WA3 Editor is possible now and we should do it.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Pawelec wrote:Except for bug fixing and modding I look forward to enabling new options in the Editor, so we don't have to cope with the PowerWOP and hex editors. I'll take a look at it and try to remove the page limit in the Editor, make Logic 6 actually useful, add custom music and PNG textures, make the Editor recognise the newly discovered parameters and maybe also remove the texture bending at tile corners (I've never liked the feature). Redoing Flash so it doesn't require a floor tile would be nice as well.

I'm ready for collaboration if you wish to help, releasing a community patch for WA3 Editor is possible now and we should do it.
I'd be interested in helping, however without a home internet connection, it would be difficult to collaborate :|
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 pm

have you ever thought of getting a home internet connection?
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Caton wrote:have you ever thought of getting a home internet connection?
Unfortunately that's not possible right now. My family doesn't have the money. :|
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:58 pm

oh.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:04 am

Where exactly are you from? I'm surprised by what you're saying because in the last 5 years Internet access prices have dropped significantly (e.g. about four times in Eastern Europe, I'm from Poland and I know the situation is similar in Lithuania and Ukraine, but they are still lacking the infrastructure), while 5 years ago to have the Internet you had to live in a moderately wealthy family in a city which was big enough to have necessary networking infrastructure, it's hard not to have Internet access nowadays. And if we really cannot afford the Internet there still are many ways to get some for free - shopping centres, petrol stations, schools.
by Giuseppe Verdi
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:10 am

D-P, but has anyone figured out how to actually start modding? The .bbc I get from wg.exe doesn't load correctly in Blitz3D.
by Giuseppe Verdi
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:59 pm

I happen to be at the college today, and checked in here.
Pawelec wrote:D-P, but has anyone figured out how to actually start modding? The .bbc I get from wg.exe doesn't load correctly in Blitz3D.
When you save the bbc in ResourceHacker, you must save as a bin file rather than the *.* option.

If you still have any issues PM me.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

VirtLands
Rainbow Master

cooldudepoke programmer

Post by VirtLands » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:10 am

cooldudepoke is very sharp, ( and is awesome with assembly language ).

I shall eventually investigate this RTW mod stuff soon.

I'm not sure what 'blitzasm' is.
It compiled perfectly in my copy of Visual STudio.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:15 am

So, do you think it'd be possible to make an RTW editor that can open hex-edited levels without crashing?
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Muzozavr wrote:So, do you think it'd be possible to make an RTW editor that can open hex-edited levels without crashing?
Definitely, I've actually made a clone of the editor and my friend posted it on this forum as per my request awhile ago, if it has any problems loading those levels, it could be modified.

Link:
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26896
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Re: cooldudepoke programmer

Post by HumanGamer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:27 pm

VirtLands wrote:
cooldudepoke is very sharp, ( and is awesome with assembly language ).

I shall eventually investigate this RTW mod stuff soon.

I'm not sure what 'blitzasm' is.
It compiled perfectly in my copy of Visual STudio.
It's the Blitz assembler, moved out of Blitz3D as it's own program.

You should use my IDE for this. It's precompiled and is very handy: http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

(Link is at top of original post as well)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 pm

I almost forgot, I included a modified version of the Blitz3D runtime that uses the _cdecl calling convention. If you can't get the wonderland alpha from the midnight collection cd to work on modern computers, import the *.bbc into those exe files and it will work. It's still 16 bit unless you do a quick edit of the bbc, so you will probably need to use the windowed exe file unless your computer supports full screen in 16 bit, which is rare now-a-days.
I gave this a try using a resource hacker and had fairly mixed results.

On the plus side, even my most recent PC which uses Windows 10 can still run the resulting game in fullscreen mode as long as I set it to run in 16-bit color mode in the compatibility settings.

However, the game doesn't seem to be capable of loading .md2 models. As long as I set it to use Stinky's non-animated .3ds model, I can get four of the levels to work. However, the fourth level crashes even then.

It's the only level that features hell pigs (the prototype of scouge) and the bug (Loof's placeholder model), which are the only objects other than Stinky that use .md2 models. And unlike with Stinky, there is no option to have them use .3ds models instead.

Have you managed to get it to work? If not, perhaps Blitz3D's developers dropped .md2 support or significantly altered it at some point after the Wonderland alpha's development?
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed May 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Kilicool64 wrote:
I gave this a try using a resource hacker and had fairly mixed results.

On the plus side, even my most recent PC which uses Windows 10 can still run the resulting game in fullscreen mode as long as I set it to run in 16-bit color mode in the compatibility settings.

However, the game doesn't seem to be capable of loading .md2 models. As long as I set it to use Stinky's non-animated .3ds model, I can get four of the levels to work. However, the fourth level crashes even then.

It's the only level that features hell pigs (the prototype of scouge) and the bug (Loof's placeholder model), which are the only objects other than Stinky that use .md2 models. And unlike with Stinky, there is no option to have them use .3ds models instead.

Have you managed to get it to work? If not, perhaps Blitz3D's developers dropped .md2 support or significantly altered it at some point after the Wonderland alpha's development?
I have figured it out, but I must have forgot to post the fixed version. I've uploaded it for you.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n6tzelndr ... kytest.zip

Keep in mind I included the music because it must be converted to ogg but still be a .xm file, i figure that might confuse people so i included the fixed music file. (You still need to patch the exe with the stinkytest bbc file however)
I hope it's okay that I'm including the music, if not can the link be removed until Patrick can be asked. I don't currently have time right now to do so however.

(NOTE: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE ACTUAL EXECUTABLE FOR WONDERLAND ALPHA, YOU MUST HAVE ALREADY HAVE IT TO USE THIS)

I hope this helps! :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

Much appreciated. Now I can finally play the game again. Could I request a fixed version of the windowed executable as well though? I prefer my games unstretched, and the demo's resolution can't be adjusted.

I don't think there'll be any legal issues with the music, BTW. Don't know if you ever noticed, but it's actually from an old and unrelated game called The Great Giana Sisters. It was probably used as a placeholder until the game's actual music got composed. I don't know its legal status, but if it was okay for Patrick to include it on the CD, then it's probably (?) okay to upload it here as well.

Edit: Just discovered that the game can play the unconverted .XM file just fine on my PC. Did it not work on yours?
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed May 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Kilicool64 wrote:Much appreciated. Now I can finally play the game again. Could I request a fixed version of the windowed executable as well though? I prefer my games unstretched, and the demo's resolution can't be adjusted.

I don't think there'll be any legal issues with the music, BTW. Don't know if you ever noticed, but it's actually from an old and unrelated game called The Great Giana Sisters. It was probably used as a placeholder until the game's actual music got composed. I don't know its legal status, but if it was okay for Patrick to include it on the CD, then it's probably (?) okay to upload it here as well.

Edit: Just discovered that the game can play the unconverted .XM file just fine on my PC. Did it not work on yours?
I don't have time to fix windowed mode right now. As for the xm, The open source blitz3d's fmod has problems with it and xm files. If you play or change the song after about 5 min the game will crash at least most people have that issue, i'm surprised you didn't. Although it's possible that I sent my experimental OpenAL version by mistake which causes a short freeze when loading a new song on my computer.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 pm

Alright, I haven't tested this but it should work as long as I didn't make a mistake.

Find the following in the bbc file with a hex editor:

Code: Select all

C7 44 24 08 10 00 00 00
C7 44 24 0C 00 00 00 00
C7 44 24 04 58 02 00 00
C7 04 24 20 03 00 00
And change it to the following:

C7 44 24 08 20 00 00 00
C7 44 24 0C 02 00 00 00
C7 44 24 04 58 02 00 00
C7 04 24 20 03 00 00 
What this actually does is changes the call to graphics3d from:

Graphics3D(800, 600, 16, 0)
to:

Graphics3D(800, 600, 32, 2)
or in asm:

sub     esp, 16
mov     dword ptr [esp+8], 16 ; = 0x10
mov     dword ptr [esp+12], 0 ; = 0x00
mov     dword ptr [esp+4], 600 ; = 0x258
mov     dword ptr [esp], 800 ; = 0x320
call    near ptr _fgraphics3d
to:

sub     esp, 16
mov     dword ptr [esp+8], 32 ; = 0x20
mov     dword ptr [esp+12], 2 ; = 0x02
mov     dword ptr [esp+4], 600 ; = 0x258
mov     dword ptr [esp], 800 ; = 0x320
call    near ptr _fgraphics3d
This will cause the game to open in 32 bit mode and in windowed mode. If you want to force full screen you can use 1 instead of 2 for the change.

You won't need 16bit compatibility modes for this as you are changing it to use 32 bit.

I figured I'd explain what it does in case anyone is interested.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am

I neglected to mention this, but the executables you uploaded complained about requiring fmod.dll. So I downloaded it from the Internet. Perhaps the version I found doesn't have this issue?

Anyway, thanks for the instructions on how to enable windowed mode. I'll give it a try later.
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Kilicool64 wrote:I neglected to mention this, but the executables you uploaded complained about requiring fmod.dll. So I downloaded it from the Internet. Perhaps the version I found doesn't have this issue?

Anyway, thanks for the instructions on how to enable windowed mode. I'll give it a try later.
I've been trying to find a working fmod dll for that for over a year. Would you mind uploading it for me? :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:05 am

Sure. Just had a look at my browser history and found the link.