Your favorite and hated styles of puzzles?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Your favorite and hated styles of puzzles?

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:31 pm

My favorite:

--- Cannon/Reflector Puzzles
--- Box Pushing puzzles
--- Button Mazes
--- Boulder Puzzles

My hated:

--- UFO destroying puzzles
--- Box and Water/Lava puzzles (like River Delta, Don't Lava me Behind)
--- Fake wall mazes ( :x )

Your votes? :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:32 pm

:D :D :D I don't really like levels that are 5 miles to big. :D :D :D
Keeks
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 am

I love 5 miles big levels if they are clever and creative and hate them if they are boring and stupid.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Liz Mayhew
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by Liz Mayhew » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:14 am

I love most of the Wonderland puzzles and enjoy all the variety. I especially like kabooms, and puzzles with generators and boulder puzzles.

I hate electro tiles (unless just a couple are used here and there, or for a specific purpose). Like Musozavr I hate invisible wall mazes.

If only there was a "save position" feature, or a "go back one move" feature, then I would like big puzzles. I hate having to restart a big puzzle over and over.
Lizzie

To err is human,
To arr is pirate!
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree with Liz, big levels can be frustrating especially if you make one wrong move and have to start over again, which I can do plenty of (wrong moves). It would be nice if there was a save like in other games so if you mess up you only have to start at the halfway point. I like some of them too, but after 2 or 3 tries I just give up, its to frustrating. I do pretty good with the electric floors if theirs not to many of them. I have problems with freely roaming ghost since their unpredictible, and those free roaming UFO's get my critters every time.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Ghosts are not so bad. Z-Bots are much worse. :o
theZBot
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by theZBot » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:51 am

My absolute favorite is button puzzle. My absolute least favorite is fake wall mazes
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
mossykat
Silver Wonderlander

Post by mossykat » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:16 am

My most hated one is the one I can't get right up till I get it.
My favorite is the one I get first time (very rare!)
I too wish we had an undo option especially for the big ones
as I often get tired of dying and give up. Sometimes I go back
sometimes I don't.
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:31 am

:D :D :D I don't like 3D they make me dizzy.
I don;t like it when half the level is hidden by trees standing in the way, Or the false wall puzzle, :twisted:
I too wish for a undo button for the really big levels. :) :D :)
Keeks
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:40 am

With Loof's maze in Stinker rescue I thought that was a cheat of level creator and I cheatd too. I drew a map on the paper! :twisted:
mossykat
Silver Wonderlander

Post by mossykat » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:08 am

How about a sign that pops up to say KABOOM YOUR DEAD then shifts the level back to where you were last safe!
rmalloy
Silver Wonderlander

Post by rmalloy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:35 am

I hate tricky arcade action toward the end of a level (the one oddity of this game is that you can't save). Tricky arcade action can be nice at the beginning of a level though (like the rainbow star level where you have to trap three consecutive bombers within a few seconds). I've noticed Special Worlds puzzles tend to follow this idea...but when they don't...sometimes I cntrl-F9 it when I have the puzzle figured out but I don't want to keep redoing the whole puzzle just to practice the steps at the end.
chrise
Rainbow Seeker

Practising steps at the end

Post by chrise » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:16 am

On the big puzzles with an arcade-style bit at the end that needs practice, I usually use the level editor to create a level containing just that bit.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 pm

That's a good idea, chrise.
Maybe I should try it :wink:

I like: Trampoline levels
Chomper puzzles
I dislike: Fake wall mazes
Levels that involve pushing objects around through teleporters
Levels where you have to do the same thing over and over again
(Oops, I made one like that a while ago :oops: :oops: )

PS: I like your signature, chrise("What do you mean, a floating platform? Look, it's just the top of a steel bo...")!
It reminds me of a recent level I made (Look-Alike).
Last edited by TheoX on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
paulm12
Rainbow Keeper

Post by paulm12 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:40 am

I LOVE ALL KINDS OF Puzzles!

Especially

Bottons

Box/boulder

Cannons

Water

Transporter

3-d :D
If you're reading this, you've officially finished the actual post and are just reading my pointless sig.
Paul Mayer
Deetster
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Deetster » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:45 am

I find my favorite levels to surprisingly be very aesthetically pleasing ones, as well as ones that make you think. I like these a lot because a warm environment makes the enjoyment of any level better. There are certain designs that just wouldn't work if it were a Creepy Keep environment instead of a Wondertown one. Or a Cave one instead of a Garden.

Furthermore I love levels with Two the best. However Three character, Four, and even one works very well.

Many of my likes are contradictory so I can't really describe too much of what I like about a level, but when I'm playing one I like, I know it! :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:44 am

Now I got RTWP and I must say...
I HATE 3-D VIEW!
It does NOT make me dizzy, but it's hard to recognise what's the whole tile, and what's an unwalkable part of it. I have hard times in 3-D with trees and mushrooms.
But even worse, you have to lose extra time to turn where you want, and so monsters get you often. And it's impossible to plan ahead, you can't scroll the screen, and you don't even see what's behind you@
Mahaloof
Rainbow Master

Post by Mahaloof » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:53 am

I agree with Deetster about the 'aesthetically pleasing' levels. If a level is nice to look at, it draws me in. And when the environment is 'sort of' logical, like a garden or a town, rather than just a square plain with lots of clutter. (Many levels look so busy and intimidating, I give up after 3 tries).
Also, if I can find the first moves early on, it draws me in.
I like Liz' beach levels, like "Exmouth"....

I do like the 3D extra. But it would have been great if you could activate and de-activate it for just a part of the puzzle, with the 3D sign at the beginning of a small section and one at the end, something like that. Because things can look great when you are really 'in the level', but it's the endless turning and twisting which makes it tedious....

Also, I'm more in favour of thinking puzzles instead of the split-second move-or-you're-dead thingies (there's always admirable exceptions).

And, in general, I'm not crazy about levels that give me this claustrofobic feeling. I like some room to move and try out different possibilities. A good example which I enjoyed recently is (again Liz') "Qookie goes beachcombing".
Again, there's always exceptions: Kiki's "Down by the seaside" is awesome...

Ultimately it's about the feeling I get from playing and solving a good puzzle..... . . .
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:29 pm

I'm very picky with the levels I like. :wink:
A GOOD level for me involves a good and smart mix of both puzzles and action (levels that are 100% puzzle based, similar to sokoban - getting boxes in buttons, or just building bridges just make it tedious).
As rmalloy said, I dislike long levels that require quick fingers for a small portion at the end (that's why I hate the last RTWC level). :twisted:

I prefer playing intermediate/hard difficulty levels which have Z-Bots, Kaboom!s and chompers as well as dodging fireballs and controling UFO's. Trampolines and conveyors are fun but only if they're not overused in a level. I also like using objects in unusual ways, such as building bridges with reflectors, guiding Kaboom!s with spikes (hey that gave me an idea 8)), etc...

My least favourite type of levels are: fake wall mazes, exploration levels (only if they're boring - having to walk 5 miles to get a coin then get caught by a ghost), and I particulary dislike levels with crucial elements hidden (like box generators, important boxes to complete the level).
laura n.
Rainbow Star

Post by laura n. » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:54 pm

I hate levels with big trees or tree mazes I won't play them. :evil:
I 'm not very fond of ghosts, or ufo's that I can't destroy (like Knights Move)
False wall mazes drive me a bit over the edge, but I really hate them when there's chompers hidden in them, they get put in the junk can immediately :twisted:
Levels the size of football fields are on my "won't do list" I simply don't have that much time.
Kiki, I totaly agree 3-D puzzles make me way to disoriented, although Emily loves them 8)

I'm not very good with much of the advanced stuff, but I keep playing the kids levels with the advanced features & I'm getting better. I really like the trampolines & transporters. :D
I really like Ice & Box puzzles, my all time favorite was Qookies Ice bit in Stinkers Rescue WSW, I was in complete & total awe when I finally figured that piece out :o :D
I like any level that lets me blow up kabooms or z-bots, I like the pretty stars when the explode :twisted: :twisted:
Mostly I enjoy puzzle over action.

The greatest thing about this game..... there's something for everybody
Utopia has been found. :D :D :D :D :D
Jacks13
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Jacks13 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:52 pm

I like most puzzle features. I enjoy being made to think (keeps the old grey matter working!!)
Sadly......I HATE TRAMPOLINES !!!!!!!!!!!! I dread a level with these. Unfortunately, most levels have them.... :( :( :( .
I can never seem to jump in the right direction, no matter how many tries or hints. I know, I am a sad case.
I do like fake walls, all things hidden. Feel good factor when you find them.... :D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:50 pm

About trampolines: it's a complex object. The trampoline rules are:
1) All objects except your characters will ALWAYS bounce in the direction you pushed them.
2) For the first trampoline, it's right even for your characters.
3) But starting from the second trampoline, if you press the needed button hile STILL IN THE AIR, you can cahnge your direction in the midair.
My opinion is that the hardest thing is a few first jump, since you don't have a lot of time to set a direction.
Mahaloof
Rainbow Master

Post by Mahaloof » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:58 am

if you press the needed button while STILL IN THE AIR, you can change your direction in midair.
Is it possible that more people don't know about this feature concerning the trampolines? It would explain why some folks are put off by them, because they (the trampolines, not the people) seem more difficult than they really are.

I love trampolines!
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 pm

They could be like me, once the critter hits the trampoline I forget which way to send to send them and sometimes to many trampolines just confuses the heck out of me.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:13 pm

For those who are still having trouble with trampolines, I recommend to play with 2... 3... 4... 5... etc trampolines, trying something new each time. You WILL get hang of it eventually.
Believe me, I thought it will take a long time to get hang of it, but I did it after some tries.
loof101
Rainbow Master

Post by loof101 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:28 am

Muzozavr wrote:Now I got RTWP and I must say...
I HATE 3-D VIEW!
It does NOT make me dizzy, but it's hard to recognise what's the whole tile, and what's an unwalkable part of it. I have hard times in 3-D with trees and mushrooms.
But even worse, you have to lose extra time to turn where you want, and so monsters get you often. And it's impossible to plan ahead, you can't scroll the screen, and you don't even see what's behind you@
Here is a suggestion.

If you are running from something, hold down up, then press the button to turn in the required direction.

Loof 101
Sonic In Super Smash Bros. Brawl? NO WAI
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Thank you! But I already found that you don't need to wait for a turn to complete.
zbot444
Gold Wonderlander

Puzzle

Post by zbot444 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:35 pm

I love 3D View-Mazes. :D
I hate Boulder Puzzles.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Re: Puzzle

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:00 pm

zbot444 wrote:I love 3D View-Mazes. :D
Good for you. means that you will have a bit less trouble with Platinum 16.
zbot444 wrote:I hate Boulder Puzzles.
??? Why?
moshposh
Rainbow Seeker

Re: Puzzle

Post by moshposh » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:36 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
zbot444 wrote:I hate Boulder Puzzles.
??? Why?
???Why dont ya? eh why not :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: