WA3 Crowd Source: Beta Testing [Closed]

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

WA3 Crowd Source: Beta Testing [Closed]

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 pm

WA3 is getting closer.

For the final (?) Crowd Sourcing project, I am looking for a small and select group of testers.

Please read the following “rules” very carefully. In fact, not following rules will automatically disqualify you as a tester. After all, a basic requirement is the ability to read and follow some simple instructions. :)

First, the most important thing in summary:
There is some compensation, but your primary motivation should be to do this for fun. There is some time commitment (both to playing the game and writing about it). You may be playing a broken version, may need to restart and lose all progress, may only get to play sections of the game, etc., depending on the needs of the testing process. So don’t expect this to be simply a chance to play the game for free - your experience will be an interesting (and hopefully fun) one, but it will likely be quite different than that of someone buying the completed game upon release.

Now the details:

Timeline:
The testing application window is open until July 27th. After that, I will select 6-8 beta testers from the eligible applicants. Actual testing will likely run throughout August and September. Of course, all dates are subject to change, but that should be a rough guideline.

Application:
To apply as a tester, I need an email to midnight@midnightsynergy.com with the following information. (Please be entirely honest - don’t try to guess what I’m looking for - I’m looking for a variety of things, and not telling the truth on any of these questions may well hinder your chances of being selected).
1. Your full name, as well as your forum name.
2. Your age and current country of residence.
3. Your primary computer that will be used for testing: Desktop or laptop, which windows version, what graphics card (if known), the rough age of the computer. Note: your test version will be locked to a single computer.
4. A brief paragraph of why you want to be a tester.
5. A copy and paste of the following rules (read them first!):

“By submitting this application, I understand and agree to follow these rules:
a) I agree to not tell anyone on the forum about the outcome of the application - i.e. whether or not I have been selected as a beta tester. All beta testers will remain secret until Midnight Synergy announces the names (after the main testing period). I understand that this secrecy is important. I will not even hint at being selected or not selected as a beta tester!

b) If selected, I will receive a beta version of WA3 that will be locked specifically to my computer. I will not distribute this beta verison in any form.

c) An approximate testing window is August and September 2013. I understand that during those months I am expected to commit sufficient time (at minimum 4 hours a week) to play the game. (Note: you are of course allowed to go on holiday, play more one week and less one week, but you should have a decent amount of time for this project).

d) I am also required to communicate with other testers and submit regular written reports, including general comments, found bugs, etc. A special forum section will be made available for this purpose. I agree to be respectful to other testers on this forum section.

e) I understand that I may be asked to restart the game with a new version (losing progress), play only specific parts of the game, or follow other instructions to deal with unforseen circumstances. And just to let me know you are still reading this, replace this sentence in your application with one that says yes I am still reading this far. I understand that my experience of playing the game will likely be different than of someone who buys the finished product.

f) I accept the following compensation package upon completion of work:
i) A free copy of the finished game.
ii) A US $40 honorarium. A paypal account is required.
iii) My name (either full name or forum name) in the credits.”

Please do not post your application online on this forum, only via email. You may post any follow-up questions here, though. Any questions?

:)
Last edited by Midnight Synergy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Definitely applying. Glad we're getting really close!
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 pm

IT'S HAPPENING
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:42 pm

EDIT: Forget I even wrote this post. It was a stupid post and it was really stupid and it was a post. The important part was that I'm applying, and by that I mean the not-stupid part was that.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm

And so it begins!
flameterror91
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by flameterror91 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 am

Oh yes....
Heeeeeey
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 am

DELETE
Last edited by epicdude15 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
R u Srs?
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:01 am

Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:11 am

I'd love to but I don't know what to write in that paragraph :(
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:43 am

Blazeknight wrote:I'd love to but I don't know what to write in that paragraph :(
Do you really have a good reason or do you just want to have fun and receive a free game and 40$ for it? In any case, be honest.

So, I sent in mine.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:29 am

I don't want any money or such because I already have money. I can purchase WA3 anytime after its release. So that's not the problem. I wanted to help Patrick with the bugs if there are some, because I, ... we all know how annoying error reports are. I've had lots of horrifying ordeals with errors as you know (GuppyStar, DarkDrago, etc). Atleast this time, I seem calmer than before and more patient. So, I don't really want others to make a little such kind of errors or something because they might feel depressed on reports. That's the reason why I'm interested in testing. I don't want to say this as the reason although its the reason.

Anyways, I'll play the full version sometime later... :D
Happy to Help!

popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:55 am

Good luck to all who want to be beta testers. I can't think of anything worse myself, it would spoil the enjoyment of the finished game for me. I hope though, that someone out there will be testing it on an 8 year old XP desktop, because that's what I'll be playing it on. :wink:
Pauline
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 am

popo wrote:Good luck to all who want to be beta testers. I can't think of anything worse myself, it would spoil the enjoyment of the finished game for me. I hope though, that someone out there will be testing it on an 8 year old XP desktop, because that's what I'll be playing it on. :wink:
WA games work better and faster with Windows XP desktops. I have a 2006-purchased windows xp desktop which I'm still using now and it's really faithful to me even today
Happy to Help!

popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm glad it's not just me who's living in the past. :lol:
Pauline
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 pm

popo wrote:Good luck to all who want to be beta testers. I can't think of anything worse myself, it would spoil the enjoyment of the finished game for me.
My thoughts exactly.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:58 pm

popo wrote:Good luck to all who want to be beta testers. I can't think of anything worse myself, it would spoil the enjoyment of the finished game for me.
I agree, I wouldn't like to be a beta tester of any game I'd be planning to play in full version.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Why didn't I check this forum last night? It would've only taken a second, but NO!!! I was lazy, and now I am late!

Ah, it's a cruel world. :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm

yot yot5 wrote:Why didn't I check this forum last night? It would've only taken a second, but NO!!! I was lazy, and now I am late!

The testing application window is open until July 27th.
You can still apply.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
yot yot5 wrote:Why didn't I check this forum last night? It would've only taken a second, but NO!!! I was lazy, and now I am late!

You can still apply.
I know, but it's always annoying when you miss the original release.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Blazeknight wrote:I don't want any money or such because I already have money. I can purchase WA3 anytime after its release. So that's not the problem. I wanted to help Patrick with the bugs if there are some, because I, ... we all know how annoying error reports are. I've had lots of horrifying ordeals with errors as you know (GuppyStar, DarkDrago, etc). Atleast this time, I seem calmer than before and more patient. So, I don't really want others to make a little such kind of errors or something because they might feel depressed on reports. That's the reason why I'm interested in testing. I don't want to say this as the reason although its the reason.
But... why don't you want to say that? It's a really great reason and could get you hired.
yot yot5 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:

You can still apply.
I know, but it's always annoying when you miss the original release.
Uh... yeah, okay, you're not too late for anything. It's not like MS is going to favor the earliest apllicants or anything, he's going to choose on the 27th.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't know what I'm going to do. I have a good enough computer, but I'm concerned about level difficulty. I have always found this series quite hard.
no
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah, you and me both.

I just have 1 quick question. Do we have to supply our full name, or can we just supply our forum name?
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 pm

md wrote:

Yeah, you and me both.

I just have 1 quick question. Do we have to supply our full name, or can we just supply our forum name?
I think it's both.
epicdude15
Rainbow Master

Post by epicdude15 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 pm

md wrote:

Yeah, you and me both.

It's both, it says it in MS's giant post he made for rules and regulations.
R u Srs?
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 am

Nobody wrote:
Blazeknight wrote:I don't want any money or such because I already have money. I can purchase WA3 anytime after its release. So that's not the problem. I wanted to help Patrick with the bugs if there are some, because I, ... we all know how annoying error reports are. I've had lots of horrifying ordeals with errors as you know (GuppyStar, DarkDrago, etc). Atleast this time, I seem calmer than before and more patient. So, I don't really want others to make a little such kind of errors or something because they might feel depressed on reports. That's the reason why I'm interested in testing. I don't want to say this as the reason although its the reason.
But... why don't you want to say that? It's a really great reason and could get you hired.
Because I want the full experience of playing. Not by parts
Happy to Help!

dsw
Gold Wonderlander

Post by dsw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 am

Deleted.
Last edited by dsw on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 am

I just sent my application. :)

The next few weeks will be really interesting...
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 am

Blazeknight wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Because I want the full experience of playing. Not by parts
I personally want the full experience of playing too, but I am good at beta testing (or just testing games/programs in general).
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm

I've been meaning to do this since this topic was made, but I've just sent in an application
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Just a note to let you know that you won't get any reply with comments back from me on applications - but yes, I am receiving them. You will hear back from me (on that matter) shortly after the 27th.