Z-Bot City Help with Bonus Coins!

Questions and solutions to Wonderland, Return to Wonderland, and Secret Worlds.
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Z-Bot City Help with Bonus Coins!

Post by Dianna » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:15 pm

Has anyone gotten the bonus coins on this level? If so, can I have a hint about how you got them?
Old Lloyd
Bronze Wonderlander

Z-Bot City bonus coins

Post by Old Lloyd » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:39 pm

Yep, I got all the bonus coins. I spent a lot of time on this one.
It wasn't easy.

A guy was banging his head against the wall. An observer asked, "Why are you doing that?" He replied, "Because if feels so good when I stop."

That's the way I am with these puzzles. Why do I beat my head against the wall? Because if feels so good when I finally solve the puzzle.

BTW: It would help if you specify where Z-Bot City is located, Wonderland, RTW? World and Level.

Good luck,

Old Lloyd
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:14 am

Z-Bot City is World 7, level 2 of Wonderland. You got those bonus coins, huh? Any hints, tips? (I've tried banging my head against the computer -- didn't help.)
John&Nathan

Post by John&Nathan » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:48 am

I'm hoping someone has some specific hints for this level. I spent HOURS on it.
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:59 pm

Do you need help solving the level or getting the bonus coins? I can help with getting thru the level, but the bonus coins still elude me.
John&Nathan

Post by John&Nathan » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:35 am

Yeah, i'm talking about the bonus coins.
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Zbot City Bonus Coins

Post by ol'gramma » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:45 pm

Ol' granny here to help you! :D

Walk left into the 2 coins and wait: as the Zbots march by, fall in step behind one. You will have enough time to get to the lower L corner where the green button and coin are. Wait and fall in step again and get to the lower center opening..
walk thru straight North above the lower box and push it south to the top edge of the opening below, where you came in. Next walk above the top box, push it down against the bonus coins walls, and take the 1 inside coin just right of you..(this is the right side opening) You need this opening to let the fliers out into the inside isle.
Now quickly push the box all the way across left into the isle. There is 1 zbot that will want to come in there, so get the box into place before it arrives...it will kill you.
The next part requires the right timing, and will take several times of play before you can see your opportunity coming.
You want to trap 5, (the more the better, you are removing them from circulation) zbots in the SW corner where the green button is. You will use the box you have sitting at the lower center opening. By now the zbots are in an erratic pattern and you will have to wait until you can safely shove the box thru to the isle to trap 5 or more zbots. Sometimes the pattern is so erratic you can't get more than 3, so you are better off starting over. If you can get the trapped zbots to form a pattern that will have 1 of them sitting on the green button long enough for you to enter and get the coins, that is what you need. If not, you can try and see if the pattern of the outside zbots will allow you to run out the top, left, grab the corner coin and down south to push the box 1 or 2 spaces and get back in the opening safely. Always be aware that the safe places to stand are the inside squares as the zbots follow the outside against the walls and will go up and down and across the playing area once those coins are removed. I was lucky the time I was successful and trapped 6 Zbots, which kept the bonus coins gates opened and allowed me to run thru all the outside areas to get all the coins.

Ol'granny :wink:
John&Nathan

Post by John&Nathan » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:17 am

After over 10 months of owning this game it FINALLY happened for me.

Every bonus coin in z-bot city!!!! On my birthday!!!! I can die in peace!!!

Thanks old Grammy. You helped point me in the right direction, but ultimately I feel like I did it myself.

Merry Christmas everyone.
vinheim
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by vinheim » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:57 am

it's been 2 weeks trying this level, is there a clearer solution or a video that can help me with the bonus coins?
stinky2
Rainbow Keeper

Post by stinky2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 am

Do not wake old topics up.
Too busy with EHM2007
My record:
Atlanta Thrashers: 1 Stanley cup (4 seasons)
Detroit Red Wings: 4 Stanley cups (8 seasons)
Dallas Stars: 1 Stanley cup (2nd season in progress)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:51 am

Stinky 2, are you making the rules here??!! :roll:

Vinheim, I played this level a few years ago, and I think I got the bonuscoins, but I'm not sure of that. Today I tried for several times, but I didn't get the concentration yet to get those bonuscoins. Since this is for a big part a sort of an action level I think it's also very hard to write a perfect walkthrough for it. I'm sorry I can't help you yet, but if I find some useful hints I'll let you know.
vinheim
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by vinheim » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Ok it'd be cool if i had hints
Anyways this is the only level I had to cheat in to see the ending
I just wanna complete it so that I've completed all the levels myself, so if noone has hints, I'll just move on to re-completing WSW.
Thanks guys.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:09 am

:D I finally managed to get the bonuscoins. Actually I really wonder if I got them the first time I played this level. Probably not.

As you can see on the screenshot, I killed some z-bots (the 4 from the inner roundway) to make it easier, for I simply can't play that stressful action way with z-bots all around my head. So maybe it's not the levelmaker's intended way but I hope you don't mind.

I can give you a pretty clear description of how I killed those 4 z-bots, but first I want to try a few times more to see if it always works, also the part after killing the z-bots. I'll try to make a pretty clear walkthrough which always works, or at least more then 50% of the times. Be back later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vinheim
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by vinheim » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:21 am

wow, u can kill z-bots here?
the only way i see that possible is using the green gate, but that would require some setup and timing
thanks for the tips dude
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Yes, that's right but at least it's predictable. It happens everytime exactly the same, and after a few practicing I can do that everytime again. The rest of the level is much more sort of random.

I use these abbreviations for the three main areas:
C = Centre square, including exit, and bonuscoins area.
I = Inner roundway, where the 4 z-bots are
O = Outside roundway.

1. Lower box 1 right.
2. Get coin right of C.
3. Upper box 1 down and 4 right, on the right intersection of I.
(The z-bots should go to the lower-left corner of I now)
4. Get coin above C and walk right and down through I to push the box 1 down. ( The z-bots should go into C, to the lower left green gate, and then back to I)
5. Go again up to the upper intersection, left and down through I, take coin left between I and O, and with the right timing, go down through O, to the green button.

(It's important you do these things right from the start of the level without delay, so the z-bots are about for the second time in the lower left corner of I, at the moment you reach the green button. For some reason, if you wait too long, one of the z-bots goes from I to O, disturbing the pattern of the z-bots in O. Also, if that happens, you'll not be able to kill all 4 z-bots in I)

6. After you reach the button, the first time the z-bots are near the gate, keep walking down and up, off/on the green button, to kill the first z-bot.
7. Also, the second and third time, the z-bots are back near the gate, you can kill the second and third z-bot, the same way.
8. The fourth time, kill the last z-bot by stepping left and right, off/on the button.

Of course I can't guarantee it always works, but everytime I tried this, it worked for me. If it's right the 4 z-bots from I are gone now, and the 8 z-bots from O are still circling in te same pattern. After killing the z-bots, bring the box back to C, and use both boxes to lock the z-bots in the lower left corner of O, to press the green button. You also can get the other coins first, then you have a pretty save spot to stand in the exit area. I'm not sure what's best. Try for yourself.

The final part is pretty random in my opinion. I could finish the level a few times more, after lots and lots of trying, but never at exactly the same way. No matter if I have 3 or 7 z-bots locked between the boxes, there is always one or more which is not still. The ones at the ends are still so you can't push the boxes further, and between them they are still moving.

So I can't make a walkthrough for that part, but if you want, I can tell you a way to keep one z-bot circling in the 2x2 square at the lower left corner of I, and the other 7 circling quietly counter clockwise in the upper half of the level.

I hope it's useful. Please let me know if it's clear and if it works, or not. I don't have software for video's but if you want I can make a few more screenshots. Good luck!
vinheim
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by vinheim » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Still no luck, i've managed to kill the 4 inner z-bots dozens of times, but each time, i screw up the button area. It gets to a point where I can't push the boxes and a z-bot is constantly on and off the green button. More hints would be appreciated. Thanks :)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Yes, that problem happens many times. If you use more then 2 z-bots in the corner for the green button, you just need lots of luck.

I also did it a few times using only 2 z-bots. Push the lower box right-below the button as on the screenshot (image 1). Then the left box a few tiles down. At the moment the z-bots bounce back up, it's sort of safe for a little while to push that box further down to directly left of the button. However, after I made this screenshot, when I thought it was safe, one z-bot came sneeky from right to left through the center square and hit me in my back.

It also will help if you can get 2 z-bots in the lower-left corner of the inner roundway, instead of just one on the screenshot.

Edit: This time I had more luck. (Image 2) The left and middle z-bots are moving but the one on the button is still.

I think that's the best way: Not too many z-bots between the boxes, about 3 or 4. 1 or 2 in the little square right-above the green button, so there are only 3 or 4 running free through the level to deal with. Then push the left box first quickly left above the green button. If needed you're always able to push it one more tile down. It also requires some timing sometimes. For example, when one z-bot which is blocking a box moves a short distance and then a bit longer distance, push the box at once at the right moment.

Edit 2: Another hint. As soon as you've killed the 4 z-bots, and got all coins, use the Alt-X keys to zoom out, so you can see the entire level. Then you can see it earlier when a z-bot is going to trap you, so you can run away. Then you can use only 2 z-bots between the boxes, so you're sure the green button is covered. (image 3)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vinheim
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by vinheim » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 am

hey thanks for the help, i actually realized doing 1 or 2 z-bots (not more) this morning when i had no internet, but your help was good too thanks :)
sonicoll
Gold Wonderlander

Post by sonicoll » Sun May 15, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks a lot! :D
(It took me a long time to solve it!)
raindear

Post by raindear » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:42 pm

I struggled off and on for three weeks with this level before I finally gave up on the bonus coins. I had getting the rainbow coins down pat, but nothing I tried made it possible to get the bonus coins. I wish I could see the screenshots for this, but I have new hope I might solve this puzzle at last.

That trick with Alt-x sounds like it would be so helpful, but it doesn't work on my computer.
myuacc1studios
Rainbow Wizard

Post by myuacc1studios » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 pm

raindear wrote:I struggled off and on for three weeks with this level before I finally gave up on the bonus coins. I had getting the rainbow coins down pat, but nothing I tried made it possible to get the bonus coins. I wish I could see the screenshots for this, but I have new hope I might solve this puzzle at last.

That trick with Alt-x sounds like it would be so helpful, but it doesn't work on my computer.
YOU BUMPED AN OLD TOPIC :roll:
raindear

Post by raindear » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 am

So, was I not supposed to? With people like me replaying the games, someone is likely to come along that this topic helps like it did me. But, don't worry. From now on I'll just read the topics and keep my opinion to myself.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:19 am

raindear wrote:So, was I not supposed to? With people like me replaying the games, someone is likely to come along that this topic helps like it did me. But, don't worry. From now on I'll just read the topics and keep my opinion to myself.
Don't mind myuacc. This is a legitimate and perfectly acceptable bump, and I'm sure we'd all love to see more posts from you. :)
raindear

Finally

Post by raindear » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:03 pm

I finally succeeded in finishing this level with all bonus coins thanks to ol'gramma's and Marinus's advice. I am grateful to both of you and everyone else that posted in this thread.

Now, all I have to do is "Take a walk" and "One for the road" and I will have finished Wonderland again.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:33 pm

I made a video of my own solution in case mere text and screenshots aren't enough for some people. These bonus coins are seriously hard to get after all. I was planning on uploading it here, but for some reason, I get a "No post mode specified" error whenever I try, so I put in on Mediafire.

My solution doesn't involve much luck at all aside from the last part. What makes this level so unpredictable is that even a slight change in timing can cause the Z-Bots to take different paths on every playthrough. So in order to avoid that, I performed a speedrun. As long as you always head along the same route as quickly as the game allows, the Z-Bots will always move in the same patterns at the same time, allowing you to accurately predict their movements and react accordingly. The only tricky part of my solution is the final part since the timing there is very strict. Everything else only requires some practice.

BTW, can anyone beat my highscore?