WA EDITOR - A GUIDE TO NEW FEATURES
I. Custom Textures For Existing Objects
(Introduced in v3.03 and replenished in v3.05)
Earlier editor only had official support for JPGtextures. But now we have did some changes, you can now use two methods for texturing your objects
A. Using original MS method: Put your object texture file of JPG, PNG, BMP, TGA or DDS extension in UserData\Custom\Objecttextures folder. Now in the editor custom model category you will get a number of objects that you can texture. They have the same adjusters and functions as usual (for e.g. Tex Chomper is same as the Chomper in Monsters category) just they have an extra "TextureName" below all the adjusters with the default value of "Default". If you will click on it it will ask you for a texture name. Enter the name of JPG, BMP or PNG file you put in UserData\Custom\Objecttextures folder with extension and it will load the texture. If the texture doesn't exist, the game will revert to default. For e.g. if you have file "mychomper.bmp" in that folder, then simply type "mychomper.bmp" without the quotes. If you enter a [NAME] without extension then the game will look for [NAME].jpg in the UserData\Custom\Objecttextures folder and if the file doesn't exist the game will revert to "Default". This is done for compatibility with old adventures.
(Advanced) If you wanna use transparency with the png, tga or dds textures, then you need to follow the following complex steps:
1) Create your original texture with alpha map you want to use and save it as [NAME].ext (ext=PNG, TGA or DDS, e.g mychomper.png)
2) Create a second texture which has alpha channel extracted from the original texture with all except pure white (255,255,255) set to pitch black (0,0,0), and save it as [NAME].mask.ext (ext=PNG , TGA or DDS, e.g mychomper.mask.png)
3) Now in the editor, type [NAME].ext (ext=png, tga or dds, e.g mychomper.png) and you're done.
B. Using forum method: This method is only for advanced users! Firstly you need special type of object wop that would have a TextureName adjuster. It usually defaults to "!None" instead of "Default" as in the case above. Here, if you click on "!None" or anything else written there, you will be allowed to enter a new path for the texture. However, you MUST enter the complete path of the texture file with its extension here (unlike only entering the filename plus extension in method stated above). If the file is found, the editor and game will show the texture, if the file is not found then a warning will be displayed. You should only use this method if you use any other extension for your texture other than jpg, bmp or png. For e.g. if you have "mychomper.png" in "Custom" folder of your WA Editor root directory, then type "Custom\mychomper.png" without the quotes. Remember to use the back slash instead of the regular slash!
NOTE: In this method, if the specified texture is png, then the editor/game will NOT load the alpha map. Only 0,0,0 RGB transparency will be used. This is done for compatibility reasons.
II. Custom Models
Did you know WA Editor also supports Custom Models?
However, since the starting, the custom models were only supported in one extension for models which is 3ds and one texture which is jpg.
So now we have added the feature of using B3D and X models as well as using BMP, PNG, TGA and DDS textures.
How to use? Place the model file [NAME].ext (ext=3DS, X or B3D) and texture file [NAME].ext (ext=JPG, BMP, PNG, TGA or DDS) in UserData\Custom\Models folder. Now in editor, select custom in CustomModel and enter [NAME] in place of default.
1) If you wanna use transparency with the png, tga or dds textures, then you need to follow the following complex steps:
a) Create your original texture with alpha map you want to use and save it as [NAME].ext (ext=PNG, TGA or DDS, e.g mychomper.png)
b) Create a second texture which has alpha channel extracted from the original texture with all except pure white (255,255,255) set to pitch black (0,0,0), and save it as [NAME].mask.ext (ext=PNG, TGA or DDS, e.g mychomper.mask.png)
c) In the editor, you simply have to enter [NAME] to load model and it will be textures with your texture.
2) The editor loads models in following order: X, B3D and 3DS. It loads textures in following order: DDS, PNG, TGA, BMP and JPG.
III. Hub Builder GUI
(Introduced in v3.04)
Now you can create hubs with a special GUI prepared for Hubs. This GUI has following components:
A. Hub selection screen: It is similar to adventure select screen. Here, you can enter a new file name for your hub, edit or delete existing hubs, just like adventures.
B. Hub Main Screen: This is the main place for your hub. Here you can enter title and subtitle of the hub, as well as configure your main hub adventure and other adventures used by your hub.
1. Entering the Title and SubTitle of the Hub: Title of the hub is the text that appears in the hub selection screen in player. You MUST set a title for a hub. SubTitle is the optional text which appears when you select a hub in Hub Selection screen in the player.
2. Managing Adventures: Now comes our main work of managing the adventures! You can select adventure number or "Hub" slot from the Adv# column in the left. Clicking on number# or Hub will take you to the Hub Adventure select screen where you can select an existing adventure or make new adventure. Once done, the number# or "Hub" will be lighted meaning that this slot is already filled with an existing adventure.
Once the slot is filled then you can select it to edit the adventure, replace the adventure with another one or delete the adventure. Adventures are saved in UserData\Custom\Editing\Current\Adventures. Therefore, an adventure can be used in more than one hub.
3. Four ways to exit:
a. CANCEL+EXIT: Cancels the current configuration and gets back to adventure select screen.
b. SAVE+EXIT: saves the current configuration to UserData\Custom\Editing\Current\Hubs\[NAME]\hub.dat
c. BUILD+EXIT: builds your hub with current configuration copying your hub, adventures, logos (if exists) to the required locations so you can play/test your hub. It also saves your current configuration and gets back to adventure select screen.
d. COMPILE+EXIT: compiles the hub with current configuration into a *.WAH file in Downloads Inbox and Downloads Outbox folder in UserData\Custom that can be uploaded in the forums. It also saves your current configuration and gets back to adventure select screen.
C. Hub Adventure Select Screen: It is also smilier to adventure select screen. Here you can select any adventure to add to your hub or create now adventure for your hub.
D. Adding Hub Logo (optional): This has to be done manually. Hubs can have two types of logo: one logo with name "hublogo.jpg" which appears when you select the hub in the hub selection screen in player. Second logo, with name "wonderlandadventures.bmp" is the logo that appears in the adventure title screen. Place any one of these files or both of them in UserData\Custom\Edition\Hubs\[NAME] folder. After that, whenever you will build or compile the hub, these files will automatically be verified and compiled/copied.
IV. WA Editor Settings Screen
(Introduced in v3.05)
Now the editor has brand new Settings screen for setting different options related to the editor!
Currently, following options are supported:
1. Graphics: You can either set editor to be in windowed or fullscreen mode.
2. Editor UI: The main editor 3D UI is available in two user interfaces: the first is brand new user interface developed by HumanGamer (which is shown by default) and the second is the good ol' screen you're equipped with!
3. Use Old Level Format (Advanced): forces the editor to save levels in old format so it can run in older versions of WA Editor (highly not recommended unless you really want to do so!)
4. Custom Content Compiling: If you enable this, all the custom content used by your adventure/hub will be copied into "<FILENAME>_content"
folder in UserData\Custom\Downloads Outbox folder while compiling. You can also initiate this action by just CTRL + click on "COMPILE + EXIT" button in adventure/hub master screen (even if the option is disabled )
This topic is currently in construction.
Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
1 post • Page 1 of 1