WA Editor Updates, Ideas & Suggestion Thread

The Wonderland Open Source Project

Moderator: Aryan

Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Re: WA Editor Updates, Ideas & Suggestion Thread

Post by Pawelec » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:38 pm

GPU switch doesn't really seem useful because of D3D8 age, modern GPUs don't support it anyway (I have to use DLLs from dgVoodoo to wrap it to DX11).

Given the problem with JPG artefacts I'd consider loading them in mode 1. I've already done enough experiments with file extensions to understand the system so if you'd like me to take care of the code I'm ready to do that (I'd add support for all available file formats: X, B3D and 3DS for meshes, DDS, PNG, TGA, BMP and JPG, order based on file format functionality with vanilla defaults searched for at the very end to maintain backward compatibility).

Now, the major problem is there isn't a general code for processing textures, especially the editor is problematic because there is separate code for loading the level from wlv and separate for newly added entities. The main problem is every vanilla case (simple textures and more elaborate ones like buttons etc.) is done separately, custom models have their own code and custom textures have their own while except for these elaborate vanilla cases all objects using single texture could share code which requires only texture file path with extension as input and takes different action if DDS/PNG/TGA (mode 2), BMP (mode 4) or JPG (mode 1) texture is given.

I'd need some time to understand your new file structure. I think separating code into pieces is a good way to go, I'd try to merge vanilla mesh/texture name handling between the editor and player for convenience.

And for ideas: I have no idea what you planned for Magic Turrets but I've had a similar idea some time ago and now it could be extended to retro cannons. Magic turret could be a button-controlled magic shooter which is subject to rotator control and shoots magic. They could be divided into two types: shooting like a canon (no target tile, can rotate 45 degrees) and shooting a bit like Grow wraith (target given as Forward and Deviation: target tile is F tiles in the facing direction + D (can be negative) in perpendicular direction, this however is limited to 90 degree turns and requires maintaining the direction of the turret mesh to face the target tile).

EDIT2:
OK, finally solved it, tested and I'm sure it works. Sadly I don't think it's possible to extract alpha channel in Blitz3D so I made a version using two textures per object: one is the regular one with alpha you'd like to use, second is extracted alpha channel with all except pure white (255,255,255) set to pitch black (0,0,0) which is loaded in masked mode. The hack concept is we render texture with alpha on a child which is placed on top of the target entity with the texture being nothing different than the mask. This has many downsides but I'm afraid it's the best Blitz3D can offer. The only thing which needs to be chosen is file naming convention, in my prototype I went for tname.ext (.ext = .dds, .png or .tga) and tname.mask.ext, the code with CopyEntity is ran only if tname.mask.ext file is found, otherwise the texture is loaded in mode 1+4.
alphaTexSupport.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
RoberTime
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by RoberTime » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Hope this is the correct topic to put this since it says "Ideas" in the title...

So I have zero experience in Open Source, as well as that of Blitz3D/coding/whatever-it-was for modding WA, but I just had this idea for WA or potentially RTW: Stinker is You

Honestly, I don't know how this would work given I don't know the boundaries of modding, etc. but basically, the title is self-explanatory if you know which other game I am referring to. If the player stinker can be manipulated to easily modify properties of all kinds of objects (Probably not including tiles), I could see the player as a chomper, item, or other, stretching my obvious idea even further.

What do you all think about this one?
In-progress mega-adventure: Neoland Quest
In-progress hub: ???
ADVENTURE LIST
Peni Parker is waifu.

rainbowmon
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by rainbowmon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Baba is You: Wonderland Edition huh? That's a pretty cool concept, but (whilst I don't have any experience with this kind of thing either), I'd say it would likely be EXTREMELY ambitious, since there's so many crazy things you'd have to do to replicate Baba's mechanics.
nasko222
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by nasko222 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 am

monster magic mod. Add magics (maybe bit different than the nornal ones) that can spawn scritters. chompers. dragonturtles. ghosts. all type of mobs
rainbowmon
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by rainbowmon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Ooooo, that's not a bad idea Nasko.

And now that you mention it, that reminds me: I've always had a headcanon, that, in addition to the typical red and gold Chompers that are kinda mean, there were green and blue Chompers as well, which were vegetarian and friendly. Maybe mods could make such a thing a reality?

Edit: Since I mentioned Gold Chompers, I may as well mention: It's probably unrealistic to implement, but having an Original Trilogy-style ability to switch characters could be cool as well.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by rainbowmon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:59 am

Had a thought recently and figure I may as well mention it: I think controller support could be nice. It wouldn't be as precise as a mouse, sure, but being able to play Wonderland with a controller would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? I mean, technically you could just use Steam or Antimicro or something like that, but that would have to... "Emulate" (" because I'm not 100% sure that's the best word for it) mouse movement. Controller support could get rid of the mouse entirely - you'd still have a pointer for casting magic, but pushing a direction on the D-Pad / Left Analog Stick would move the pointer to the next tile in that direction, rather than dragging the pointer around. The right analog stick could be used for camera controls (the ones using the numpad + alt + x)... Other things could be done too. My point being, it'd be nice as an option in the open source version of the Wonderland Adventures Editor (and the eventual open source version of RTW, though WA would benefit more, since it uses the mouse which doesn't directly port over to a controller well and thus any mouse controls would need to be reworked for a controller).
Aryan
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Aryan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 am

rainbowmon wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:59 am
Had a thought recently and figure I may as well mention it: I think controller support could be nice. It wouldn't be as precise as a mouse, sure, but being able to play Wonderland with a controller would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? I mean, technically you could just use Steam or Antimicro or something like that, but that would have to... "Emulate" (" because I'm not 100% sure that's the best word for it) mouse movement. Controller support could get rid of the mouse entirely - you'd still have a pointer for casting magic, but pushing a direction on the D-Pad / Left Analog Stick would move the pointer to the next tile in that direction, rather than dragging the pointer around. The right analog stick could be used for camera controls (the ones using the numpad + alt + x)... Other things could be done too. My point being, it'd be nice as an option in the open source version of the Wonderland Adventures Editor (and the eventual open source version of RTW, though WA would benefit more, since it uses the mouse which doesn't directly port over to a controller well and thus any mouse controls would need to be reworked for a controller).
Having a controller option is really nice... I'd love that!

Though currently open source WA Editor can't support that due to technical issues (which is of course due to such an ancient programming language). But don't worry, there is a C# remake on the way and we might have something like that atleast in future.
Aryan
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Aryan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am

Oh well, I forgot I also have to post current WA Editor updates in this thread!

Ok, here's a small video by ALEXALEX976 on the new cutscene-making UI in the 10.2.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqT1Zt ... e=youtu.be

Finally, you can also add custom textures to gates, flipbridges and transporters just their "colour part" will remain unchanged.

This shows different colours of bridges:

This shows different colours of springs and teleporters (same is for cuboids too)
Aryan
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Aryan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:40 am

Triple post, but I wanna ask one question from you all: I have version 10.2.0 almost ready! However I am still not sure if this version is ready for public or not since there are lots of internal changes in the engine (credits to Pawelec) and there may be any underlying bugs although I have fixed a couple of them. So, are some of you ready to test this release and hence I can know some more bugs which were left out?