Which do you prefer?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm

@boh123321: Huh, that's funny. I feel the exact same way, but with WA being the fun-frustrating one and MOFI just being frustrating. I guess everyone has different tastes.

@yot yot5: Well, to me, every Wonderland game was always a fun, lighthearted game to play. Sure, there might be an occasional spooky or dark level, but it was mostly lighthearted. MOFI seemed to take things in a new direction. Rather than being light and funny, it was kind of dark. Nearly all of the game took place in lonely, kind of creepy sort of places in which I felt anything could pop up any minute. It gave me a different sort of feeling than any of the other Wonderland games gave me. It's not a bad game, it just feels different. I'm not surprised my favorite place in it is the cheerful Kaboom! village.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm

That's the whole point. It's meant to be a creepy, mysterious game. That's why it is called "Mysteries of Fire Island".
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm

md wrote:That's the whole point. It's meant to be a creepy, mysterious game. That's why it is called "Mysteries of Fire Island".
Yup

One of the reasons I love MOFI so much is because of its creepy, mysterious nature.

That's just how I like my games. I prefer creepy to bouncy and happy
no
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 pm

Exactly. It's not really my sort of taste, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I love it, but because of it's nature it doesn't feel like a Wonderland game.

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:01 am

yot yot5 wrote:WA definitely had a certain "magic" to it that MOFI didn't.
It's nostalgia. When you play a series, the first game of the series you play tends to stick with you more than the others. Nostalgia seems to be the main reason that people like the first game in a series better than said series' sequels.

Anyways, I prefer MOFI. WA1's plot was somewhat repetitive in the sense of "collect a shard... collect another shard... collect another shard..." MOFI's plot, in contrast, was more diverse. I also liked how it was slightly darker than the rest of the series. The fact that many of your companions get frozen and stuff actually makes it seem like you're not the only one in danger all the time. And I'm sure no one can forget the MOFI jungle. Dat atmosphere.

I hope POTZ continues the trend of increasing darkness. Turn out those lights, MS!
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 am

Personally, I don't like dark games very much. It's nice to play one once in a while, but I tend to like games with a happy sort of nature. Sure, WA's plot was kind of repetitive, but Patrick wasn't trying to make a super-awesome plot like he was with MOFI. He was trying to reinvent the series while still maintaining the Wonderland style, and he succeeded.

Also, while nostalgia is certainly part of it, the original's "magic" isn't all nostalgia. What it is, I'm not sure, but I'm beyond positive that if I had played MOFI first I would still prefer WA.

Like I said, I tend to like games with a sort of happy nature. WA had that, and if I had to choose one reason I like it over MOFI besides how memorable it is, that would be it. The happiness and level of fun is apparent everywhere in WA - except for the Void. And I think that that's what really makes me like it, besides it being so incredibly memorable. In the end, I just had a lot more fun playing WA than MOFI. MOFI was, to me, more frustrating than fun. Sure, it had a better plot and better puzzles, but what good is plot if a game's not fun?

EDIT: I'm not saying that MOFI isn't fun. It is - most of the time. There was the rare adventure that wasn't very fun, but it's very fun for the most part. But to me, WA exceeds it in the "fun" category.

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 am

LittleZbot wrote:Personally, I don't like dark games very much. It's nice to play one once in a while, but I tend to like games with a happy sort of nature.
I often get sick of all the sunshine and rainbows and want something darker as a change of pace. Also, when a series starts out all bright and cheerful and starts getting darker, I find that really cool. It all comes down to personal preference, I suppose.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:34 am

I'm something like that too, but toned down, I guess. Like I said, I enjoy the occasional dark game, and I think that it's fine if one or two games in a series go that way, like Majora's Mask for Legend of Zelda, and Super Paper Mario for Mario. However, I kind of consider them something apart from the main series, or something to play when I've had enough of the other stuff. Wonderland's "dark" game was MOFI, and I think that that's fine - I just don't enjoy them as much, and that's really all I'm trying to say. In any case, I hope that Patrick doesn't only go dark from here on. A once-in-a-while dark game is good, but I prefer Wonderland's cheerful nature. Like you said, It all comes down to personal preference.

md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:38 am

If MOFI was bright and cheerful... it wouldn't be MOFI.
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 am

Quite true. I don't want MOFI to be bright and cheerful, because that would kind of ruin it. I just like cheerfulness more than darkness.

StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 am

Yeah, then it wouldn't be very mysterious.
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 am

WA was still mysterious, but not as mysterious as MOFI. In WA, it was kind of obvious what was going to happen (excluding the ending) and where you needed to go next, especially if you had already played Wonderland Secret Worlds.

MOFI was like a whole new game that was unpredictable in what was going to happen. I never imagined that it would end the way it did.
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 am

I prefer MOFI, yes, it didn't have the same peacful atmosphere as WA, but that was just emphasizing that your in a different place, your no longer in your comfortable wondertown or whatever.

And plus, I play the kaboom village music at full blast at least once a week. :lol:
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

I do love that music.

yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:When a series starts out all bright and cheerful and starts getting darker, I find that really cool.
Sounds like my storyline. :lol:
LittleZbot wrote:MOFI was, to me, more frustrating than fun.
I personally found levels like "Stinkers in the Dark" and "The Pyramid" from WA just as annoying as levels like "Fire and Ice" and "Ice Flower Cave". I agree that the MOFI ones were more difficult, but that just means more game time to me. What's the problem with being difficult? :D
Last edited by yot yot5 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eee226
Rainbow Star

Post by eee226 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 pm

MOFI's story was excellent but, the levels were difficult
Morklin wrote:It looked like a piece of burning sky fell down to Wonderland.
forgive me for laughing at that.
sometimes, kiwis have to die
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:49 am

Personally, I prefer games having an interesting plot. While minimal-plot games can also be fun if they have good gameplay, I prefer a plot that keeps me interested. MOFI had this. WA had...

Stinkers are trapped, oh no! Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. And now the power of rainbows made the big mean Thwarts cuddly again!

It was fun, but MOFI was it plus a more serious plot.

and I know I said wsw here before, but actually I vote mofi
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:09 am

Stinkers are trapped, oh no! Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. Shard. And now the power of rainbows made the big mean Thwarts cuddly again!
Your spin on WA is hilarious.

And agreed, MOFI has a more serious plot, especially towards the end of the last level with the whole star key plot twist.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
LittleZbot wrote:MOFI was, to me, more frustrating than fun.
I personally found levels like "Stinkers in the Dark" and "The Pyramid" from WA just as annoying as levels like "Fire and Ice" and "Ice Flower Cave". I agree that the MOFI ones were more difficult, but that just means more game time to me. What's the problem with being difficult? :D
Absolutely nothing. Truth be told, I found those levels ("The Pyramid" and "Stinkers in the Dark") worse than the MOFI levels you mentioned (Fire and Ice is a personal favorite), but in general, for me, MOFI levels were more frustrating, like the Pirate Camp levels.

yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:45 pm

LittleZbot wrote:Absolutely nothing. Truth be told, I found those levels ("The Pyramid" and "Stinkers in the Dark") worse than the MOFI levels you mentioned (Fire and Ice is a personal favorite), but in general, for me, MOFI levels were more frustrating, like the Pirate Camp levels.
I personally found "Clear the Way" and "The Acid Swamp" perfectly puzzling and not the slightest bit annoying. "Don't Leave me Behind" is actually quite easy, if you save regularly.

BUT "INTO THE DEEP DARK CAVE" IS THE MOST ANNOYING LEVEL IN ALL OF WONDERLAND. NOBODY CAN DENY THAT.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Compare and contrast WA to MOFI

WA: The first game of the series
Introducing new concepts of wonderland for the first time
Easier than MOFI

Worse Storyline than MOFI
Not a challenge to some players
More buggy than MOFI
Less Gameplay Elements

MOFI: Better Storyline
Challenge to most players
Better Graphics & Atmosphere

More creepiness and feel of danger
More surprises

Very hard indeed

Green is Good
Blue is opinion-based
Red is bad

My personal Favorite: MOFI
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 pm

I think MOFI's adventures were masterfully put together. All of the people who are complaining about how it's "too hard" don't sound willing to put the time into solving the puzzles. MOFI is really challenging, but in a good way.

Except for "Into The Deep Dark Cave." Raeg.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:51 pm

I will just say this: I liked MoFI more than WA, but I voted for WA because it felt more Wonderlandish. MoFI may have as well been a new game series altogether.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:I will just say this: I liked MoFI more than WA, but I voted for WA because it felt more Wonderlandish.
That's... perplexing.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm

No, it's just atmosphere. MoFI feels different from WA or WSW.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Trend-breaking is good. But that's just my opinion.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:Trend-breaking is good. But that's just my opinion.
Nobody or yotyot5 or The-Thaumaturge wrote: They were just stating their opinions...
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:13 pm

PROBLEM, OFFICER?
MyNameIsKooky wrote:Trend-breaking is good. But that's just my opinion.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Yzfm wrote:Compare and contrast WA to MOFI

WA:
Easier than MOFI[/color]
SDFJSL:DGH:PSDGae qaTUIP :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

THE WHOLE POINT OF MY LAST 3 POSTS WAS THAT HARD IS OPINION BASED, NOT BAD
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm

To me, MOFI does feel like a brand new game altogether, but I don't mind, because it still retains the Wonderland feel to it.