How to use the lamp in WA1?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

How to use the lamp in WA1?

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:34 am

How do I use the lamp to light up dark places in Wonderland Adventures?
The game says to just have it in your inventory and it will activate automatically.
When I go to a dark place the lamp appears in the top-left corner and begins counting down charges but it is not any lighter than without the lamp.
I'm confused. Is this a glitch? What is supposed to happen? Or am I just using it wrong? :?
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Here is what it's supposed to look like with the Lamp (or in this case, the Glowgem) on in the dark. Sometimes if the room isn't as dark as the one in the picture, it can be hard to tell that the lamp is even on.
Attachments
darkroom.png
darkroom.png (135.36 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:12 am

So it looks like my game is glitched or something becuase that is not what happens. You can see that the lamp is active but no light shines. Take a look:
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:33 am

Random suggestion but try playing the game on Windows (VM or partition), rather than using Wine on Linux (as is seen by the menu thingy of the game).
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 am

Ok sure, I'll try it in my Windows 10 thingy. I don't use Windows because my computer can't handle it very well, and virtualisation within Ubuntu Linux didn't go to well either. Perhaps Wine is the issue.
I'm posting this late at night. I'll try it out tomorrow.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:07 pm

WA requires DX9 to run. You may want to tinker with Wine settings (or don't use it at all)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:44 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:WA requires DX9 to run.
WA was made in blitz3d witch uses DX7 it's not even complete of all DX7 features. there was a lib that had the other DX7 functions that blitz3d didn't have.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:40 pm

Caton wrote:
tyteen4a03 wrote:WA requires DX9 to run.
WA was made in blitz3d witch uses DX7 it's not even complete of all DX7 features. there was a lib that had the other DX7 functions that blitz3d didn't have.
My bad; it is DX7 indeed.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:14 pm

just saying:if it were DX9 it would use different lighting\gfx hd and sharders and more.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:09 am

I bought the glowgem in game, by the way.
Both the glowgem and the lamp work fine in Windows, but neither work in Wine. I'm trying to install some DirectX thingamabobs so it'll work, no luck so far.
I'ts fine with Windows, except Windows takes 5 SECONDS to load a game and FIFTEEN WHOLE SECONDS to save a game!! (I'm not fine with Windows.) Also Windows takes 5 mins to boot and login. In Ubuntu Linux it's less than a minute. Grr...[/b]
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 am

Don't play using Wine. If you really want to play on Linux, download VMWare Player or something and install Windows on it and then play the game. Wine is buggy. If it takes 15 seconds to create a <10MB file, then something is clearly wrong with your computer. Could be something with the hard drive.

[snipped reference to profanity - tyteen]
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:11 pm

If you have Mcafee installed on Windows then this may be why saving/loading takes so long. Go into the real-time scanning settings and exclude wg.exe (also editor3d.exe too if you're using the editor) and see if it's faster.
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

I have no extra antivirus, just Windows Defender. I'm looking at installing an Windows XP VM in VirtualBox. Does Wonderland work in XP?
Perhaps the reason Windows is slow is I don't have a very good PC. It's only got 1.6GB of RAM, which I think is the minimum to run Windows 10.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:12 pm

cloudrac3r wrote:I have no extra antivirus, just Windows Defender. I'm looking at installing an Windows XP VM in VirtualBox. Does Wonderland work in XP?
Perhaps the reason Windows is slow is I don't have a very good PC. It's only got 1.6GB of RAM, which I think is the minimum to run Windows 10.
Yes, all Wonderland games work with Windows XP, and I believe some earlier systems as well. 1.6GB is very little RAM honestly. Anything lower than 4GB is really low for any computing task.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 am

Ah man. Today is not my day. In this post I rant about tech not working. Feel free to ignore it.
Anyway, what happened is, I installed an XP VM in VirtualBox (legally, by the way!) and put Wonderland Adventures on it. The video settings launcher thingy didn't show up and I got a message telling me that I need new 3D graphics whatsits.
I rebooted with 2D and 3D hardware acceleration. No change. Installed DirectX 9 and restarted. No change. Installed DirectX 7 and restarted. The VM hard disk got corrupted and it can't start because Windows\System32\Config\System is missing.
Interestingly, if I run WA in Wine from my Windows 10 partition instead of the Wine drive, thr lamp still doesn't work, but the save/load lag is back. Huh.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:56 am

You're not doing this correctly. You need to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions, which is in one of the menus somewhere. This will install all necessary drivers in order for it to function perfectly. Do this on a clean install of XP.

Also, I would recommend VMWare Player over VirtualBox, but hey, your choice.
Interestingly, if I run WA in Wine from my Windows 10 partition instead of the Wine drive, thr lamp still doesn't work, but the save/load lag is back. Huh.
Then this most likely settles it. There is most likely a problem with the hard drive. There could be something wrong with the Windows install, but IIRC, Wine doesn't use an actual Windows install to run applications, so I doubt that. Use something like CrystalDiskMark to determine the speed of your W10 hard drive, to see if there's something wrong regarding that.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks for the CrystalDiskMark suggestion. I'll give it a try.
I had already installed the Guest Additions software and restarted before testing WA, in fact it was the very first thing I did after installing.
I checked the VMWare website, and VMWare player isn't free, but it does have a trial. But, I couldn't find a feature comparison, so I have to ask you. Is it a limited time trial, or can I use it forever but with some useful features missing? I'm 15; I can't cough up $200 or so for the full version just to play Wonderland.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:09 pm

It seems that they've merged VMWare Player (free) and VMWare Player Pro (paid) and now it's called VMWare Workstation Player. Go to the Downloads section of their website and select Workstation Player (in the free downloads category). Download the Linux versions (the appropriate version). I think that will get you the free non-trial version.

If you have already installed the trial version of Player, then I think after 30 days or so it should just revert itself to the free version.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:47 am

Alright. Installed Wonderland Adventures in my VMWare machine, installed the VMWare Tools thing and DirectX 9, and same result. The message said something like this:
Wonderland Adventures cannot run because you have outdated 3D graphics drivers.
If this is the first time you have run Wonderland Adventures, update your drivers.
If Wonderland Adventures was working previously, run a virus scan, and try again.
Press any key to close.
I open Windows Update, and it opens an IE page which IE can't open. I open it in Firefox to find that support for Windows XP ended in 2014. *big sigh*
Of course I can run some 3rd party driver software, except it's probably malware.
Am I cursed? Should I just stick to Wine until I have to play a dark level, which I can play in Windows 10 without too much pain?
Oh yeah, don't tell me to install DirectX 7. It's not compatible with XP.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Do NOT install DirectX individually. Get a clean copy/install of XP (make sure it isn't a screwed up version like most pirated copies are) and install it on a fresh virtual hard drive. Then if your version of XP isn't SP3, update manually (search for the thing). After that, there will be automatic updates (I think), it's just that there won't be any new updates. Finally, make sure that your Linux system has graphic drivers for your GPU. If it doesn't have that and it relies on un-accelerated graphics, then it's no wonder it doesn't translate at all in Windows XP.

On that note, what is your PC's specs?
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 am

I'm getting this message now:
I think it's due to graphics drivers. I really can't be bothered persuing this problem and so I've decided it would be better and less rage-inducing to just run Wonderland in Windows 10 and face the save/load lag.
garirry wrote:On that note, what is your PC's specs?
I ran a tool called HardInfo in Ubuntu Linux while I was installing my not pirated XP VM and here's the results: http://cloudrac3r.ddns.net/hardinfo_report.html

Thanks anyway for trying to help me :)