I can't do it.

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

I can't do it.

Post by Danell1975 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:05 pm

I absaolutely can't figure out how to save and use any of the custom models. I have also found that playing the custom delux levels is hard if you don't have some of the stuff in there that is supposed to be there. I am one of those stupid people that needs step by step directions to get these things figured out. If anyone can help me I would so appreciate it. I saw Popo's reply to ThePreciousOne, and I tried that and it didn't work, I must still be doing something wrong. Any help would be great, thanks.
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:46 pm

Me too :oops: just been too busy to ask.
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
Jersey
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Jersey » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:38 am

Are you saying that when you go to download something from the forum you can't save it? Or do you mean creating and saving a level?

I was having a problem with downloading in RTW until I created a shortcut to the Custom Folder on my Desktop.

1. If you aren't sure where you saved the game (I created a folder in My Documents just for saving games I download and named it simply GAMES, so I can find them easily) then you'll need to do a file search for Return to Wonderland.

2. Once the computer has located your game, check to see where the game is located (ie. C:My Documents/Games/Return To Wonderland) Remember where it is then open Windows Explorer and find the file.

3. Left click on the "plus sign" in the white box connected to Return to Wonderland in the left-hand window. It should reveal another folder under the RTW or DRTW folder.

4. Right click on the CustomLevel Folder and select "Send to" then select "Desktop (create shortcut)" This should drop an new icon on your desktop that says "Shortcut to CustomLevels" You can change the name later.

5. When you download a custom level from the Forum, you can select Desktop from the dropdown arrow at the top of the dialog box and bring up all your icons/files. Just click on the RTW/DTRW CustomLevel icon, make sure the file name for the level you are downloading hasn't changed, and click Save.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it makes it so much easier to find the Custom folder if you save a lot of things on your computer. The default is usually the last place you saved something, so if you can't find custom levels that you know you saved, that's probably what happened to them. You didn't save them in the right file. You do it a few times, and then it just becomes second nature.

Download level, find Desktop in dialog box, select DRTW or RTW Custom Levels folder and click Save. Just make sure you've created a shortcut from the original game folder, otherwise you'll just have a useless folder.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am...*Hic*

...I'm just a Blonde! :lol:
Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Danell1975 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:15 am

I guess what I am saying is that when I download a level, (that has the custom cars and houses and what not), I can't see them. I can download the levels and play them. I just can't figure out how to work the houses and cars and stuff. I downloaded the test house and test cars, and I see that they are in zip files. The ONLY zip file I was able to open and see was the visual that BIGZIP had. Otherwise, I can't figure out how to get any of the other ones, The houses and cars, to work. I click on the paper clip, then save the file, and it goes to wherever, and when I open up the game, it is in the list, but when I try to go into the subfolder, it is blank. Do you get what I am saying? Kind of hard to explain. I will try what you suggested though and see if that works. Thanks for responding.

Danll
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:00 am

My problem------
EXAMPLE----sfseaman's level Lichinuts.....I downloaded that into his folder ....no problem.........then the other file, I added a new folder to custom models called sfsbeach1.....downloaded zip file into it......extracted (or unzipped) all files into that folder, fired up game.......looked at level.....no custom stuff showing :oops: :?
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
malcdelsol
Rainbow Master

Post by malcdelsol » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:27 am

Hi eeyore31,

Using the example you gave:-

Am I correct in thinking you have within RTWD folder you have CustomModels folder.
Within that you have sfsbeach1 folder.

What do you have in the sfsbeach1 folder - I am suspecting you may have another folder also called sfsbeach1, and the .zip file you downloaded :?:

Malcdelsol 8)
(Lord & husband of Lady IDJIT)
sfseaman
Rainbow Master

Post by sfseaman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:01 am

I suspect that Malcdelsol is correct. I set up the zip file to create the sfsbeach1 directory itself -- most zip programs can do that, so there is no need to create the directory yourself, unless your zip program does not do this. Please let me/us know if that is the problem. Maybe setting up the zip file to do this automatically (if that is the problem) will be confusing. Sorry for the hassle.

Steve
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:49 pm

Hi Seaman and Malc,
I made the same mistake, but I caught it because I always check my folders. I might also add that I directly download the .zip file to the folder I'm going to put it in. Then I go to that file and tell it to unzip here. I'm using freezip and this works well. :D
SharonM
malcdelsol
Rainbow Master

Post by malcdelsol » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:00 pm

Hi SharonM,

eeyore31 hasn't replied as yet but I'm pretty sure that is what her problem is because the way that you download and unzip is exactly the same for me - although I just use WinZip.

Subsequently I also had folders within folders and had to do the required copying up and deleting :lol: :lol:

Danell1975 - if you are still having problems seeing the custom stuff then let me know via a PM - I'm sure if we take it 'step-by-step' it can be sorted out :roll:

Malcdelsol 8)
(Lord & husband of Lady IDJIT)
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:25 pm

SharonM wrote:I directly download the .zip file to the folder I'm going to put it in. Then I go to that file and tell it to unzip here. :D
This is how I do it also. Works for me. 8)

jg
sfseaman
Rainbow Master

Post by sfseaman » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:51 pm

I'm interested in some discussion about what people think is the best way to set up the zip files -- see

http://www.pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1257

and let's discuss

Steve
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:11 am

malcdelsol wrote:Hi eeyore31,

Using the example you gave:-

Am I correct in thinking you have within RTWD folder you have CustomModels folder.
Within that you have sfsbeach1 folder.

What do you have in the sfsbeach1 folder - I am suspecting you may have another folder also called sfsbeach1, and the .zip file you downloaded :?:

Malcdelsol 8)
Yes, that is what I did....I created folder in a folder (I think) I'll have to do some sorting out-----thank you all for your help!!! :oops: :D
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....