Double Folder Problem

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Double Folder Problem

Post by TheoX » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:22 am

OK, I have this problem...when I download custom models and/or houses,
I get a folder, with another folder inside it. And they have the same name! This causes my computer's level editor to read the wrong folder. Therefore, every... single... time... that I download a model and/or house, I have to open the first folder, take the second one and move it to the desktop, delete the first one, and put the second one (that actually has the models/houses in it) back into the custom models (or houses) folder. This wastes a lot of my time... :(
And it fills up my recycle bin, causing me to have to empty it a lot...

Does anyone know how to stop my computer from creating an excess folder?
Help would be appreciated :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:30 am

It isn't the download that is causing it. It is your zip program. Mine does the same thing. I don't mind it because I download everything to my desktop and then file levels, models etc. I delete the zips then and the excess folders and empty the recycle bin and then go to the game.

The only way to get around it is to use a different zip program. I know there are people on the forum who get a single folder only. Maybe they will tell you what the name is and you can try that one. Myself, I like my zip program so I accept that limitation.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:24 am

LinkyNStoof posted a way to not get double folders. If you click open instead of save when you download the model zip, you'll get a page where you can extract the files straight into your customs models folder.

I can't remember which post it's in, but it was one where people were asking for help when they couldn't see the custom models. If you PM Linky I'm sure he can tell you where it is. Or someone else might be able to find it for you.
Pauline
sfseaman
Rainbow Master

Post by sfseaman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:03 am

Just to clarify what the problem is --

When you unzip the file, where do you tell the unzip program to place the files? These days, most people creating custom content are creating the zip file so that it will automatically create the needed folder, so if you are already creating the folder yourself and unzipping the files into it you will get what you are describing, a folder, within a folder. You should be unzipping/extracting the files directly into the main CustomModels/CustomHouses folders.

If this is not the problem, I would be interested in finding out more details.

Steve
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:13 pm

hmm...I'm going to go download something random right now, and see what will happen if I do a few things differently...
Thanks for your help, although I might have more problems...
Anyway, I'll see, and I 'll tell you all if I have anymore problems...
THanx again :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:24 pm

Well, opening instead of saving basically worked, except...I can't find the zip file :evil: :lol:
Getting a new zip program might work, but that will probably take more time than it's worth (For me, at least). I think I'll just do it like Ramonda (Which is how I have done it before :lol: ) and go back to the old way...
Thanks for the help Ramonda, popo, and sfseaman! :D

Now I need to find the zip file for that doghouse :roll:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:30 pm

Ooh Goody I just figured it out! I just had to click save and delete the folder on the end of where to extract it to...
I didn't see that before! *slap's forehead* :lol:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:35 pm

Hehehe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pauline