General Hint - Use Multiple Save Games!

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

General Hint - Use Multiple Save Games!

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43 am

I've noticed that some users like to play using only the same save slot over and over again. It's usually a good idea to switch save slots from time to time - if ever anything happens to a saved game (even somethings as silly as a power failure while saving or other ways that windows might corrupt the file) you would need to start all the way from the beginning.

That goes with pretty much any adventure game - but I thought I'd mention that idea.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:04 am

I've got two slots I save the main game in, and two slots I save in during an adventure. I alternate between them so I always have a 'one before last' save game to go to if needed. If it's a particularly tricky adventure I'll use 3 or even 4 slots in rotation, so if I do a bit and it's wrong I have several saved bits to go back to. Better safe than sorry I say. :wink:

I'll tell you something else I'm doing too, more out of miserlyness than anything else. :lol:
Whenever there's a piece of map for sale, I save the game, buy the map, take a screen print of it, print it off, then go back to the saved game, and I've got the map piece without spending any money. :wink:
Pauline
Duiveltje
Rainbow Master

Post by Duiveltje » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53 am

Popo, is your nickname scrooge? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I was looking for an overview function like shift-arrow or Alt-X in the other Wonderland games, but the only thing I found was this:
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... t=overview

So I guess these functions are not available in WA (or MOFI), so probably I also need a map, but I don't know where the shop is where I can buy one, and I also can't find my wallet :lol: Can anyone please give me some information about it?

Right now I'm busy training some ninja turtles but they don't talk much. I've been there before but probably I forgot to save. There are a lot things different then in the other games. :?
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:14 pm

popo wrote:
I'll tell you something else I'm doing too, more out of miserlyness than anything else. :lol:
Clever you! :lol: (I think that's illegal! :shock: :lol: )Now that you've let your cat out of the bag, Patrick will probably figure out some way to prevent that from happening. :roll:

But the question I've been wanting to ask .....is...............
Do you like the map?
Are you finding it useful?
Not much was said about it during testing.
Inquiring minds (well, mine anyway) want to know.
jg
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Marinus,
You will be able to buy some things later in the game.
And you will be able to "pick up" the item you need.
jg

PS: popo probably has your wallet so she won't have to spend the coins in hers! :wink:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Janet, the map is fine. I take it that it's yours? :lol: I miss a red cross: You are here, that would've been helpful.
Inger
Norway
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:38 pm

I like the map, although sometimes the actual paths in the jungle are a little hard to see because the blend in so nicely. And it would be cool if Patrick could incorporate an interactive "you are here" X that auto-updates.

But it looks fantactic! Nice job.
Loirae
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 pm

My computer froze when I was saving once... I had to "hold the button" and all of the data was erased. Luckily, I'm fine now. :D
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Popo, here is both maps. The second one is a little messed up.

[Edit by MS: Jacob, please don't post images like this, unless with a HUGE spoiler tag... you're giving away a lot of the game, and nobody even asked for it. :) ]
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 am

janetgalle wrote: But the question I've been wanting to ask .....is...............
Do you like the map?
jg
The map is beautifully done Janet, amazingly detailed, and uses up a lot of ink to print off. :wink: :lol:

I'm using it to mark off where certain things are that I'll need in the future so it certainly is useful. It would be nice to have an interactive 'you are here' marker when you look at it in the game though (that's if you've be generous enough to actually buy the pieces :lol: ).

I'd be interested to know how you made it Janet, tell all. :D
Pauline
chrise
Rainbow Seeker

Post by chrise » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

I tend to use just one in-game save slot for progress in the hub, using others for save points within an adventure. However, I also make a copy of the save files at important points, which I then keep in compressed form.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Sorry Patrick... :oops: :oops: :oops:
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
benemily
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by benemily » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:42 am

janetgalle wrote: But the question I've been wanting to ask .....is...............
Do you like the map?
jg
It's handy once it's all there, our 8 yr old daughter is enjoying game but thinks a" you are here" dot on the map would be helpful.
Inquiring minds drive the world. :D
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks all. :)
Pauline, I'll send you a PM.
jg

PS: I drive...................a Buick. :wink:
iancull
Gold Wonderlander

Post by iancull » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Does anyone know where the saved games are stored for MOFI?

I'm away from home and my PC, and would like to install MOFI on my portable - but I don't want to play all the levels again so I'd like to copy the latest saved game over.

Thanks for any help!
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 pm

iancull wrote:Does anyone know where the saved games are stored for MOFI?
When I had only the demo it was here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Midnight Synergy\WA MOFI

After I installed the full version: C:\Documents and Settings\Marinus\Local Settings\Application Data\Midnight Synergy\WA MOFI

But now I changed the name of the file "localsaveoff.txt" into "localsaveon.txt" and moved the files to: C:\Program Files\Mysteries of Fire Island\GameData
iancull
Gold Wonderlander

Post by iancull » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 am

Thanks - with that clue, I found them in:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Midnight Synergy\WA MOFI\Player Profiles\Ian
iancull
Gold Wonderlander

Post by iancull » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 am

And with that, just solved "don't leave me behind" ... on my Mac running WinXP in Boot Camp, 1300 miles from home :)