Multiplayer

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

omarogi35
Gold Wonderlander

Multiplayer

Post by omarogi35 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Does anyone think either the classic trilogy or the adventures trilogy should have multiplayer? Either online or local? I want it because it would make the game more fun. It is a small chance since the games are all too old and thats what the response I got for asking for multiplayer on a different game. It's too old. Maybe.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:44 pm

There's almost zero chance of being able to integrate multiplayer in any of the already-released games, nor would it really fit, as the Wonderland series was always meant to be a single-player experience. However, I certainly wouldn't be against it if MS decided to make a multiplayer spinoff title.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
omarogi35
Gold Wonderlander

Post by omarogi35 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:58 am

LittleZbot wrote:There's almost zero chance of being able to integrate multiplayer in any of the already-released games, nor would it really fit, as the Wonderland series was always meant to be a single-player experience. However, I certainly wouldn't be against it if MS decided to make a multiplayer spinoff title.
Well the single player choice can still stay. What I mean is add multiplayer to it. It can be a chance. Games do get updated.
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:15 am

Adding multiplayer could work for the classic trilogy, each player controlling one of the stinkers (Stinky, Loof, ect.), but I fail to see how it'd work for the Adventures series. Also, games like these generally don't get updated after a game's release, since it isn't connected to some server like Steam or Origin which can push out updates after release, or more modern consoles which can do the same thing. Like LittleZbot mentioned, it would have to be a spin-off or a new series, which I wouldn't be against if it happened.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:21 am

If there ever is a multiplayer game, I'd want to see some sort of battle mode (probably in WA-form, though as Timecrokba said, WA multiplayer would pose some problems) where Stinkers fight each other.

I'm probably going to get so much hate for saying that, but oh well. :twisted:
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:57 am

Wonderland King wrote:If there ever is a multiplayer game, I'd want to see some sort of battle mode where Stinkers fight each other.

I'm probably going to get so much hate for saying that, but oh well. :twisted:
What do you mean by fight? You mean compete, fight with Pow, or something else?
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:41 am

Try to kill each other. It wouldn't have to be Pow, of course, there could be other elements and varying terrains to take advantage of, but, yeah, that's the gist of it.

No, I'm not insane! Where did you all get that crazy idea? :wink:
omarogi35
Gold Wonderlander

Post by omarogi35 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:54 am

Timecrokba wrote:Adding multiplayer could work for the classic trilogy, each player controlling one of the stinkers (Stinky, Loof, ect.), but I fail to see how it'd work for the Adventures series. Also, games like these generally don't get updated after a game's release, since it isn't connected to some server like Steam or Origin which can push out updates after release, or more modern consoles which can do the same thing. Like LittleZbot mentioned, it would have to be a spin-off or a new series, which I wouldn't be against if it happened.
That's what I had in mind.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:38 am

Wonderland King wrote:Try to kill each other. It wouldn't have to be Pow, of course, there could be other elements and varying terrains to take advantage of, but, yeah, that's the gist of it.

No, I'm not insane! Where did you all get that crazy idea? :wink:
I'm going to be completely honest and say that this is probably the best idea I've ever heard.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:01 am

THE WONDER GAMES

May the Pop be ever in your favor!

(In all seriousness, I'll post my ideas on this when I'm fully awake. I know it'll never happen, but it's still fun to think about.)
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 am

I have been wating multiplayer for a while in the classic trilogy, but...
Several Stinkers competing in WA would be just SO much better!
Maybe someone could make an editor mod! :idea:
But not me because I have no clue how. And also the editor doesn't work.
Battling would be a lot more fun if you weren't locked into the grid and you could move freely. That would be really nice.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:38 am

Umm... I can't think of any ideas of how it would work right now, other than to say that it would be along the lines of mini-games such as the previously mentioned battle, as well as - maybe - racing through levels (with things that could affect one's speed), but a game titled Wonderland Party would be really interesting, actually. Also, with the battle concept, what do you think about a danger-filled map with enemies and hazards that have to be dodged and whoever is the last Stinker standing wins (with or without the ability to hinder your rivals)?
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Wonderland King wrote:If there ever is a multiplayer game, I'd want to see some sort of battle mode where Stinkers fight each other.
I agree to this, It sounds like a good idea!
Wonderland King wrote: Try to kill each other. It wouldn't have to be Pow, of course, there could be other elements and varying terrains to take advantage of, but, yeah, that's the gist of it.
THIS sounds even better!
rainbowgamer wrote:Wonderland Party would be really interesting, actually. Also, with the battle concept, what do you think about a danger-filled map with enemies and hazards that have to be dodged and whoever is the last Stinker standing wins (with or without the ability to hinder your rivals)?
It sounds interesting, but it''d be hard to do because Wonderland Party sounds like the very new Mario Party Star Rush. However, it sounds like a good idea.

Ps. It's similar do to the "Star Rush" and the Rainbow Star in Wonderland.

That's just my personal opinion.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
Teb020
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Teb020 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:27 pm

A multiplayer Wonderland game does sound really fun, however if it were made it would have to be based around being multiplayer.

The current games wouldn't work, as only the levels with multiple Stinkers in the original trilogy would be able to really work, and even then the engine may not really be designed to have multiplayer, however I'm unsure of that.

Personally, for a multiplayer Wonderland, I'd like it to be a mix of the two series gameplay. Some levels based around original, some based around Adventures. The goal could be to help each other solve puzzles from across the maps, to either both get to the star or just both meet together. The game could combine elements of both Adventures and the originals, making a lot more variety in puzzles too. There could also be minigames along the way, such as battling level hazards / magic, and maybe some time rush levels.

Just some ideas, I'm sure there are flaws I'm not noticing but that's what I'd want if there was a multiplayer Wonderland :D
See-ya next toim!
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:59 pm

The main thing to do with Mario Party I was thinking about was the name (Wonderland Party). Mario Party: Star Rush is essentially the "half board game, half minigame compilation" style that the entire Mario Party series is, but where ALL players move around the board SIMULTANEOUSLY. What I was thinking wasn't part board game like Mario Party. I was thinking more like battle arenas - similar to the ones in the Mario Kart games, though without the karts, instead running around on foot - possibly with hazards and even enemies where the goal was to be the last one standing, levels where several players must race to complete an objective - while I can't think of any way they could hinder each other, and it would most likely have to be a split-screen mode (unless it were online multiplayer) since not only enemies and hazards would be obstacles, but also puzzles (and if someone were defeated or messed up a puzzle there would have to be a way to respawn at checkpoints, which would be best as a changeable option in case someone wanted to make it where if everyone else were defeated then the last one standing would then immediately win, and something in levels that could be interacted with to reset a puzzle to it's initial state), and levels that have an emphasis on teamwork - like many levels in the Original Trilogy, but multiplayer. Though I guess in that since you could compare to Mario Party: Star Rush, since the primary type of objective is to get to the Star and players would be able to all move simultaneously. Teb020 wrote:
The game could combine elements of both Adventures and the originals
I agree with this entirely. Actually, I had the same thought once, though it applied to typical single player, and I was thinking about what I would want in a new Wonderland game (that was the only thing that came to mind).
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Teb020 wrote:Personally, for a multiplayer Wonderland, I'd like it to be a mix of the two series gameplay.
I would love to have the original series with the new series features. Especially if we could customize our stinker and move diagonally.
Currently playing WSW.

"Please wait, we are loading the game."
Oats
Gold Wonderlander

Possibility of This

Post by Oats » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:20 pm

I've used the Blitz3D engine in the past, and it has no online capabilities, only LAN, so basically this idea could never happen, sadly.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Re: Possibility of This

Post by FinnThor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 am

Oats wrote:I've used the Blitz3D engine in the past, and it has no online capabilities, only LAN, so basically this idea could never happen, sadly.
LAN = Local Area Network

Basically, your quote is telling us that it COULD have multiplayer, but only local multiplayer, not online. Either way, any type of multiplayer would be amazing. :D

Ps. I'm surprised this somehow turned into a topic. :shock:
Cheese!

rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:14 am

And while it's doubtful beyond belief it is an EXTREMELY SMALL POSSIBILITY that something other than Blitz3D would be used. Doubtful, but possible.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:33 am

I'm no coding expert, but I'm pretty sure we could rewrite it for another language I.E. Java, C++, Python etc.
Currently playing WSW.

Oats
Gold Wonderlander

What Engine to Use

Post by Oats » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:57 pm

tooncool64 wrote:I'm no coding expert, but I'm pretty sure we could rewrite it for another language I.E. Java, C++, Python etc.
IMO in the modern age Unity would work best for this sort of thing.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:34 pm

I would love to see a group of people with coding experience work together to make this happen. Combining classic and adventures elements together would be an amazing thing to happen.
Currently playing WSW.

Oats
Gold Wonderlander

Programming This

Post by Oats » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:31 pm

tooncool64 wrote:I would love to see a group of people with coding experience work together to make this happen. Combining classic and adventures elements together would be an amazing thing to happen.
Well, I am a game dev going on 6 years now, but I've only ever made 2D games, so it'd take a while before I could commit myself to this cool idea.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:45 pm

I could definitely get behind this, but the only language I know anything of is Python.

Oats, what 2D games have you made? Do you have a website?
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:40 pm

it could use python and panda3d.
Oats
Gold Wonderlander

My GameDev Credit

Post by Oats » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:I could definitely get behind this, but the only language I know anything of is Python.

Oats, what 2D games have you made? Do you have a website?
I've made one Ludum Dare entry which was fairly highly received, a 2D top down Wonderland-esque puzzler known as Gerald the Gummi Guy
I've made one itchio Game Jam entry that was designed to look like a terrible late 90s Pac-Man clone, called 3D Triangle Runner, and then there's my current big project Oltroy and Friends which I have been making for one week short of a year now. You can check out lots of Oltroy vids on my YouTube, TheRulerOfOats, and you can find both 3D Triangle Runner and Gerald the Gummi Guy in the 'Extras' section of the website for Oltroy, linked below...

http://geocities.ws/oltroyandfriends
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 am

I just thought of something we could use astron for server real time networking for client and server messages.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:03 pm

There have been 6 posts (excluding the other subforums) since I went to sleep yesterday. That's how popular this topic has become, with the multiplayer idea and everything. I'm looking at these ideas, and some are really interesting. :)
Cheese!

Oats
Gold Wonderlander

A New Mode to Go with Multiplayer

Post by Oats » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:32 pm

BIG WALL OF TEXT WARNING:

In my opinion, if we were to rebuild the engine on more modern software, we should add at least one new extra mode geared toward multiplayer. I've had a think about it, and I think a mode that'd go really well is something I like to call Peril Puzzle. The mode is basically one person playing a regular Wonderland level, but for every ten seconds that they don't make it to the goal i.e. they're still playing, the second player gets to choose an enemy from any enemy in the game to place in the level.

Straight away there's the issue of someone placing an immovable enemy such as a cannon in front of the goal, and to circumvent this issue, we add some sort of unique timer to every un-killable enemy. For example, the cannon could have a certain amount of fireballs and when it runs out it explodes.

In order to give more strategy to the second player than just simply choosing an enemy every 10 seconds, the enemy which they choose will be based on their 'enemy credit', where the amount of credit they have determines how powerful of an enemy they can place. For example, say 10 seconds passes and I had 0 credits before it, it'd give me one credit, and with it I can place any enemy I want that costs one credit that'll probably be quite a weak enemy as a result of my own impatience. If I were to wait about 40 seconds and earn 4 spendable enemy credits, I could get a much stronger range of enemies to place down.

The cost/strength of an enemy can be configured one of two ways. You can choose live calculation, which is where the strength of an enemy is determined based on how many times player one has died to it in single player, or you can choose predetermined calculation, where the strength of each enemy is set by us, the creators of the gamemode, based on a tier list we can all agree on. Enemies can also be hand-picked by the user before the gamemode begins to have specific ones be allowed or not allowed, for example, to prevent really cheap puzzle failures, turn off cannons and/or UFOs. All the maps in this gamemode come from ones that player one has completed in the main game, or, we could create a completely new set of maps geared towards this gamemode.

Before you begin the gamemode, you must also type in how much a player has to score to be called the victor. If you're player one, your score increases by 1 every time you successfully beat a puzzle and it goes up by 2 instead if you managed to get all the bonus coins in that puzzle. If you're player two, your score increases by 1 if you manage to kill player one and therefore prevent them from reaching the goal, and it goes up by 2 instead if their death was caused by the timer running out.

If further explanation is required quote the part you don't understand and I'll gladly elaborate.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Dang, those are some really good ideas. I do have a question though, would 'Peril Puzzle' include both classic and adventure elements or just classic?
Currently playing WSW.