Boosting performance and quality with nVidia GPU

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Boosting performance and quality with nVidia GPU

Post by Pawelec » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:30 pm

So I decided to share a valuable (I think) info here for all of us sporting nVidia GPUs.

It is possible to significantly boost the graphics quality and FPS on Blitz3D games using nVidia Control Panel. All you have to do is to open it, create a new profile for the app you want to use (let's say wg.exe).

For most settings you can choose maximal ones with no doubt, however some of the settings are mandatory due to the age of Blitz3D (they may be called a bit different):
- Preferred GPU: nVidia High Performance GPU (not the integrated GPU nor automatic choice!)
- Threaded Optimisation: Off

For higher FPS I'd also recommend:
- VSync: Off
- Triple Buffering: Off

This way I can run WA3 at 60 FPS with 16x Anisotropic Filtering and 32x AntiAliasing, what makes it look a ton better.

NOTE: If you updated your Windows to Windows 10 and you have Intel HD Graphics 3000 or older, you should replace the default Intel driver for your integrated GPU with a Catalyst UnifL driver. This is because Intel dropped the driver support for Windows 10 for most Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPUs and a WDDM version conflict occurs between integrated and nVidia GPUs, making it impossible to use nVidia GPU at all (this is a very serious issue, I'm surprised Intel doesn't want to fix it). Thankfully guys at leshcatlabs.net released a modified driver which fixes the issue (and boosts integrated GPU's performance!), you can download the latest one at leshcatlabs.net/downloads_unfil/. Of course nVidia users do not have to install AMD drivers, just the Intel ones.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi