Is there any chance for a Steam release?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Teb020
Platinum Wonderlander

Is there any chance for a Steam release?

Post by Teb020 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:12 am

Steam would be a great way to revive this franchise! It could get a bit more publicity, as well as Steam workshop support for RTW and the Adventures level editor. It would be a great way to rebuild the community, and possibly make another game or expansion.

Is the franchise getting onto Steam just a hopeful dream, or does it seem like a possible reality?
See-ya next toim!
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:49 am

I don't see why not.
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Post by RoberTime » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:56 am

^ Lag fail :P

But indeed, I believe the Wonderland series would make a great import for Steam. I'm not quite sure if it could be greenlit, though. MS may have to create a Steam account, as well as pay the hefty $100 USD submission fee. But I don't know. We'll at least get Patrick's opinion if he ever replies here.
Teb020
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Teb020 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:09 am

I guess getting greenlit could be a bit of an issue, yeah...

oh well, I can always dream haha! Who knows, maybe someday it could happen!

At the very least, Android/iOS ports if possible could also be really cool! I'd love for a new generation to be able to enjoy Wonderland the same way I've enjoyed it.
See-ya next toim!
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:31 am

$100 is pennies for a one-time submission fee for a game which will make you money.

Ultimately, I don't even think Patrick wants that. Even if the WA Trilogy were to be released on Steam, that means that the oldest game of the three is already 9 years old, on a basically 15-year old engine. The only interest I'd see for old games re-released on Steam are really old classics that people actually remember. The Wonderland series has most likely sold awfully, and very few people know it, especially not now.

However, I can see how that could be a good idea. Sooner or later, the website will be shut down and there will be no place where the games can be properly sold (Bigfish doesn't count, it's pretty bad). My suggestion would probably to re-release the Wonderland CD as a Steam release, that way people who want to play the classic series can just buy the whole pack as usual and play it right away. And probably sell the WA games separately too for like $5-$10.
Teb020
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Teb020 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:42 am

Maybe if it was remade?

New models, textures, some extra bonus content (maybe stuff like a sound player with the music and sound effects, extra challenge levels)

I guess that's a fair point, it could very easily be looked right over... I still do like the idea of remakes on a CD, though.
See-ya next toim!
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 am

I doubt Patrick wants to put in the effort to remake a game that isn't really that "bad" to begin with plus that has no market for it right now.

I can see how MS-DOS classics like Day of the Tentacle were remastered - due to the nostalgia of its players, but Wonderland just has nobody interested in it right now. Most who played the classics are adults and most who played the adventure series can just come back to the original release at any time - which still work on modern hardware (unlike MS-DOS), plus are digital so they can be found on their computer, re-downloaded, or even re-bought.

So I'd say there's no need to remaster Wonderland because if it ain't broken, it ain't worth fixin' it (I tried too hard huh).
Teb020
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Teb020 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:17 am

I guess that makes sense

I guess I just think it'd be cool for a more modern-ized Wonderland with higher quality graphics and stuff, but yeah that's a fair point that it's not broken and Patrick probably wouldn't want to.

I just think remasterings are cool and I love seeing older games take advantage of newer technology, which was my thought process for a remastered Wonderland. (i'm a bit over tired so i'm not thinking too hard about things and just kinda blurting out ideas)
See-ya next toim!
Evilgrapez Moosic
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Evilgrapez Moosic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Minor bump, I guess, but I'd love a Steam release. Actually, I've been kind of waiting for it to happen. If it ever happens I'll buy it immediately.
Woah, I can finally make a signature? Cool!

...great, I forgot what I wanted to put here.

Check out my website, I guess: http://evilgrapezmusic.weebly.com/
Evilgrapez Moosic
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by Evilgrapez Moosic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 pm

[deleted]