Bumping old topics/necroposting

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Bumping old topics/necroposting

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 am

This has always been a huge debate on every discussion board ever. I'm never totally sure whether to bump an old topic with an identical theme, or to start a new one. I'm not sure if there are rules about it here - let me know if there are, but I was going for a discussion-themed thread here. I am assuming that both themes for the bumped/new topic are totally identical: e.g. "TOW World 7 Level 2 bonus coins". And, just in case you were wondering, I am in favour of bumping old vs starting new.

Here's everything I've thought of for both sides of the argument:

You should bump old topics because:
- You can make reference to and draw from information in the posts of everyone before you
- It keeps the forum organised because there's only ever one topic for a given subject
- Since you search for an old topic to bump before posting anew, it's possible that you'll find your answer in the old topic, and not need to bump or create anything
- People who previously posted will likely be notified of your post and can help sooner

You should not bump old topics because:
- If you keep bumping old topics, then new ones will never be at the top (I see this argument often but don't totally understand it: the same goes if new topics about the same subject are opened!)
- People who previously posted will likely be notified of your post which will annoy them

To me, bumping is the clear winner, but no one else on the internet seems to agree with me, instead replying to bumped threads with "Start a new topic". What parts of the argument have I missed?

(Note: Bumps that don't contribute to the discussion are stupid, and I can see why those are frowned upon, but what's wrong with a full, legitimate post?)
Last edited by cloudrac3r on Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Sometimes it's just more appropriate to start anew.

For a small forum like this one, bumping old topics usually is fine. However your message doesn't show up easily to newcomers, and sometimes the information in the old thread is inaccurate/out of date, then there isn't much of a point bumping it.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Re: Bumping old topics/necroposting

Post by FinnThor » Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 pm

cloudrac3r wrote:This has always been a huge debate on every forum ever.
Midnight Post? That's a forum. :P

However, I don't know what to say about anything else. :P
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 am

That was a typo; edited.