Interesting glitch in Return To Wonderland Platinum Edition

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Interesting glitch in Return To Wonderland Platinum Edition

Post by rainbowmon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 pm

So, I have a 7 year old friend named Warren here with me (he and his parents are staying with me and my mom for a while), and he saw me playing RTW last night and wanted to play it today... So I made him a file and put him in the tutorial levels, whilst watching him play in case he needed help. For some reason, he was being... Weird, for lack of a better word, in terms of which levels he got the Bonus Coins on, and this lead me to notice something WEIRD.

So, he decides NOT to get the bonus coins in a level, right? But when he beats it, the level select screen says he DID get them. And I'm like, "Wait, what?!" So I had him not get them for the next level either, in order to see if it was just a one-off glitch or not. It wasn't. And then I had an idea...

So I took the laptop back for a moment, closed the game, and went to the folder where RTW save files are stored. I moved them, so that the game couldn't see them, then went back in, made a new file, and tried to see if my hypothesis was correct... Lo and behold, I was right!

Apparently, because MY file was 100%ed, the level select was reading off of MY file instead of his for whether or not Bonus Coins were collected. Talk about interesting... I figured I'd post here to see if anyone else has seen this.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Interesting glitch in Return To Wonderland Platinum Edition

Post by billy bob » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Was there anything in the folder that you could have changed to somehow make this happen? Like manually changing the name of a file?

Was your file (the file that was being read off) the first ever to be made?

Not sure why the game would be reading off of a different file...
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:28 am

I didn't manually change any file names, no. I'm not 100% sure it was the first file I made (I've played through multiple times), but I do know it was the only one that wasn't deleted prior to him playing. It's so weird.

Edit: Alright, so it just got weirder. Since my computer was right next to me (I'm typing on my phone here), I decided to see if it was still happening. I made a new file, didn't name it (causing the game to simply call it Anonymous), and beat Tutorial 1-1 without bonus coins. It didn't glitch.

BUT. I went and beat Tutorial 1-7 on Warren's file, and it DID glitch again. Crazier, I KNOW I tried this with a different Anonymous file (also made right before using it) before I tried temporarily moving the save files as well, and it still glitched, but yet it didn't do it with the anonymous file this time. What in the UNIVERSE is going on...?
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:27 am

rainbowmon wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:28 am
I didn't manually change any file names, no. I'm not 100% sure it was the first file I made (I've played through multiple times), but I do know it was the only one that wasn't deleted prior to him playing. It's so weird.

Edit: Alright, so it just got weirder. Since my computer was right next to me (I'm typing on my phone here), I decided to see if it was still happening. I made a new file, didn't name it (causing the game to simply call it Anonymous), and beat Tutorial 1-1 without bonus coins. It didn't glitch.

BUT. I went and beat Tutorial 1-7 on Warren's file, and it DID glitch again. Crazier, I KNOW I tried this with a different Anonymous file (also made right before using it) before I tried temporarily moving the save files as well, and it still glitched, but yet it didn't do it with the anonymous file this time. What in the UNIVERSE is going on...?
You are CORRECT! It happens with me too and should also happen with others.

As you said, the game actually reads whether the level has been perfectly beaten or not from the previously created player file. I created a test player on my game (which already had my previous player file with almost all levels completed with gold) and then cheated the first level of Tutorial World... Guess what? The level selection screen showed that the level is perfectly beaten with all bonus coins found! This also happens with Deluxe levels etc.

So you can say that this is a new glitch in Return To Wonderland!

Although I don't know why the third file didn't glitch.
Previously known as Aryan101
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:20 pm

The thing is: It was more like a 4th file. I tried using a different anonymous file before (although I'd deleted it before making the new one) and it did glitch.