Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:12 pm

While playing through all the Wonderland games, a few moments have freaked me out. The main one for me was when you meet Shiver for the first time in MOFI. I was so startled that i refused to play the game again until i got home from school that day. What is the most startling and scary moments for you?
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Scary and most startling Wonderland moments

Post by rainbowmon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm

I've been known to be startled due to dying unexpectedly in the original trilogy. Something about it just really takes me off guard if I'm not expecting it. It's not that it's unfair, because even if that were the case, the shock comes first. It's kinda like the drowning jingle in the Sonic games: If you aren't expecting it, it can outright terrify you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Yes, there's a bit of a jumpscare aspect to a sudden death in the original trilogy.

One for each in the WA trilogy:

1) I was a bit taken aback in the original WA after exiting the Pyramid when The Void has already taken over and the shards don't work.

2) In MOFI, meeting Shiver was a lovely moment, indeed.

3) In POTZ, when everyone gets separated in the teleporting sequence.

Also, this is subjective, but I feel I may have done a bit too good of a job making Uo's music sound scary and threatening. The original beta version just reused the Creepy Keep theme, which was a massive letdown for such beautifully alien textures, but Uo is more of a mysterious place than a threatening place, and during my attempts at making my own track, I may have overdone the threat level a bit.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:50 pm

The level "The Chase is on" in the original Wonderland Adventures was very scary to me with the super fast chomper chasing after you.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 pm

The only thing I can particularly think of is the message "you are likely to be eaten by a grue" in MOFI when it's dark kinda, which freaked me out at first since I didn't get the reference and it happened in the Void room which has this dark, somewhat unpleasant atmosphere to it.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:13 pm

i do not remember that. How do you get this to happen.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:14 am

By not having the lamp/glow gem active. I don't remember if the specific message shows up all the time (as opposed to the generic "you need a lamp") or if it's random though.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 am

IIRC, it shows up in the super-darkest areas only. "It is pitch black. You're likely to be eaten by a grue."
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 am

What areas clasify as super dark, also do you have to not have the lamp or glow gem in you inventory at all for the message to appear. :?:
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 am

What areas clasify as super dark, also do you have to not have the lamp or glow gem in you inventory at all for the message to appear. :?:
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am

Edit: for some reason, this post triplicated
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Whenever the lighting is so dark that the glowgem/lamp would have activated if you had one but you don't, then there is a 90% chance of getting the message "It is very dark! You need a lamp." and a 10% chance of getting the message "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.". This is the case for the entire WA trilogy.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm

rainbowmon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm
I've been known to be startled due to dying unexpectedly in the original trilogy. Something about it just really takes me off guard if I'm not expecting it. It's not that it's unfair, because even if that were the case, the shock comes first. It's kinda like the drowning jingle in the Sonic games: If you aren't expecting it, it can outright terrify you.
When you step off a fire vent in WA and it turns on as you do and kills you...
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 pm

billy bob wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm
Whenever the lighting is so dark that the glowgem/lamp would have activated if you had one but you don't, then there is a 90% chance of getting the message "It is very dark! You need a lamp." and a 10% chance of getting the message "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.". This is the case for the entire WA trilogy.
Is that so? I thought it was that between light levels 30ish to 50 it would say the first message and the second if under 20.

I know for sure that every time I entered the chomper nest/cave in WA1 in Lazy-Leaf Forest without a light source, it would tell me I would get eaten by a grue. Maybe that one's hard-coded to the second message since there is in fact always a chomper in there.
Pichosaur

Post by Pichosaur » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:21 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm
This! I have so many vivid memories of darn near jumping out of my skin when this happened. The same with water barrels suddenly dropping when you're on them, gates closing while you're stood on them and sudden chompers. Same type of fear horror games instill :stinkylol:
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:53 pm

A couple nights ago, I was playing PotZ and got freaked out when the music started changing pitch when walking into the cave of the What The Blink? adventure. :stinkyeek:
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:35 pm

Kamerson wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:53 pm
A couple nights ago, I was playing PotZ and got freaked out when the music started changing pitch when walking into the cave of the What The Blink? adventure. :stinkyeek:
Same! I was also playing this part with all the lights off, so it added to the spook I encountered when these events began to occur.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:28 pm

Pichosaur wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:21 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm
This! I have so many vivid memories of darn near jumping out of my skin when this happened. The same with water barrels suddenly dropping when you're on them, gates closing while you're stood on them and sudden chompers. Same type of fear horror games instill :stinkylol:
Yeah it's strange for a game like this to do that to you.
The loudest one is probably the lava death, even though you know it's coming, you don't know when.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:29 pm

Kamerson wrote:
The music does the same thing in some other areas too and all of it is a bit creepy.
That adventure though is one of the eeriest things in the series though, on par if not scarier than Mystery levels in MoFI.
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:02 pm

I was little when I first played WSW and when I entered the Creepy Keep and it popped the story card and that spooky music I got really tense because of it!

I also get startled sometimes by kabooms in the first trilogy if i do not pay attention.
I live a Wonderland adventure every day!
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Kamerson wrote:
I remember that. That is quite startling.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:30 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:29 pm
Kamerson wrote:
The music does the same thing in some other areas too and all of it is a bit creepy.
That adventure though is one of the eeriest things in the series though, on par if not scarier than Mystery levels in MoFI.
How are the Mystery levels in Mofi Scary?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:30 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
Kamerson wrote:
I find most of them creepy. Archipelago is just out-of-place uncanny valley, Island is deja-vu, Message is mysterious and somewhat foreboding.
Malfunction is outright scary to me because I was trying to figure out the still mostly unexplained lore to this game, and this level totally
threw me off track. I guess you could justify it as hallucinations from the toxic fumes.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:24 am

Wonderman109 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Wonderman109 wrote:

I find most of them creepy. Archipelago is just out-of-place uncanny valley, Island is deja-vu, Message is mysterious and somewhat foreboding.
Malfunction is outright scary to me because I was trying to figure out the still mostly unexplained lore to this game, and this level totally
threw me off track. I guess you could justify it as hallucinations from the toxic fumes.
How is Archipelago uncanny valley, it was hard if i remember correctly but nothing out of the ordinary for a late game MOFI level. Malfunction was scary with the guy who kept moving around, though he did say something which leads the player stinker to make a funny remark. Are there any other scary levels in the trilogy. And what were these toxic fumes you are talking about?
Last edited by gottfriedjacob5 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:32 am

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:24 am
Wonderman109 wrote:
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:

How is Archipelago uncanny valley, it was hard if i remember correctly but nothing out of the ordinary for a late game MOFI level. Malfunction was scary with the guy who kept moving around, though he did say something which leads the player stinker to make a funny remark. Are there any other scary levels in the trilogy. And what were these toxic fumes you are talking about? They did something like that in a volcano level in WSW.
For some reason this kept repeating. I don't know why it poster four times?
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:17 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:32 am
For some reason this kept repeating. I don't know why it poster four times?
I removed the extra 2 posts. Honestly I'm not sure what happened either.
Perhaps you pressed the Submit button more than once? It's best to only press it one time, even if the page is loading slowly.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm

I am not sure if this even counts, since this was obviously uninentional, but this unused room in the original WA with giant turtles and fire flowers is by FAR the scariest thing in the trilogy, and is honestly up there with the scariest things in any video game.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:07 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm
I am not sure if this even counts, since this was obviously uninentional, but this unused room in the original WA with giant turtles and fire flowers is by FAR the scariest thing in the trilogy, and is honestly up there with the scariest things in any video game.
What's this??
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:09 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:24 am
Wonderman109 wrote:
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:

How is Archipelago uncanny valley, it was hard if i remember correctly but nothing out of the ordinary for a late game MOFI level. Malfunction was scary with the guy who kept moving around, though he did say something which leads the player stinker to make a funny remark. Are there any other scary levels in the trilogy. And what were these toxic fumes you are talking about?
Archipelago just seems strange, its size and emptiness. Malfunction is scary because it's weird, like the ground itself stops working.
I assume the Acid Pools is creating a mirage to explain this level.

Any other scary levels...hmm. I might consider some of the Wondertown levels scary. Particularly the chomper maze in the 'adventure castle' and #3 of the Adventure trilogy in the arcade. Some levels are also just creepily quiet in both of the first two games, PotZ largely avoids this.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:07 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm
I am not sure if this even counts, since this was obviously unintentional, but this unused room in the original WA with giant turtles and fire flowers is by FAR the scariest thing in the trilogy, and is honestly up there with the scariest things in any video game.
What's this??
One of the rooms, i think with coordinates 7,-100, has some crazy stuff going on.
Another startling moment is the beginning of BRR At the Shore in MOFI, with the Ice Troll running at you.