WSW map pixel art remaster

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

WSW map pixel art remaster

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:31 pm

A few weeks ago I thought how there is no image of WSW map in full splendor! I scoured the internet some years ago but found only a low res of the map.
I decided to add the game to Steam and use the f12 screenshot to map the overworld with pieces! Then it hit me...a pixel art rendition of the map!

It took about 30-40 hour to make a faithful remaster of the original map!

Below you find a zip with the map and 2 images of the in-game title with a rainbow and star.
(I recommend to open the zip on computer to see each detail because it is very packed!!)
Attachments
WSW Title.png
WSW Title.png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
WSW Title and Rainbow.png
WSW Title and Rainbow.png (20.14 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Wonderland Secret Worlds Map Pixel Art.png
Wonderland Secret Worlds Map Pixel Art.png (265.93 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Wonderland Secret Worlds.zip
(283.9 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
I live a Wonderland adventure every day!
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: WSW map pixel art remaster

Post by Jutomi » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 pm

I can't be the only one that sees this

Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 am

Jutomi wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 pm
I can't be the only one that sees this
Heh...art really copies nature! :mrgreen:
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:15 am

30–40 hours! I would have given up after 2 hours at best. :lol:

This is very cool, and brings back to mind some other old ideas that never came to fruition, like RoberTime's combined WSW-WA-MOFI map, szai14's map editor, or my "Where would you live in Wonderland?" idea inspired by lynx204's topic of the same name. None of these ever became a reality as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been here in years :oops:)
Maybe this will help bring us one step closer, even if just for fun and not for a fan game or anything. Although I am very much in favor of a Wonderland fan game featuring a WSW-type map – I'm not aware of anything of the sort, in your pixel art style or any other.

And then taking this to the other extreme – what other styles could we adapt the existing WSW map to, the way you did? How about one that looks like Super Mario World, or satellite imagery, or Google Maps, or a historical map depicting Wonderland many centuries before the events of WSW, when what is now Creepy Keep was once a great castle and Wondertown was a small village on the western edge of the Plains?

Sorry, just letting my imagination run wild here :stinkyhappy:
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:54 pm

I think the next best thing is an actual remaster of the map! A full illustration with everything in it as it is...maybe in Illustrator or something!
The quality of the image is clearly behind a clean and sharp aspect and I do hope to see the map in actual HD glory!
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Amazing work, this looks really good! :D

I agree, a remaster would definitely be worth it - not only just for the map though, but the game graphics as a whole.
Even though I love the old-school feel of the game as it is now, it would be interesting to see how it would look with graphics that aren't *.jpgs.
Last year I used Inkscape to recreate WA's Logo and Loading image in vector form. It would be awesome to see WSW, or even the whole Classic Trilogy, remastered in that format!
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pm

jdl wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm
Amazing work, this looks really good! :D

I agree, a remaster would definitely be worth it - not only just for the map though, but the game graphics as a whole.
Even though I love the old-school feel of the game as it is now, it would be interesting to see how it would look with graphics that aren't *.jpgs.
Last year I used Inkscape to recreate WA's Logo and Loading image in vector form. It would be awesome to see WSW, or even the whole Classic Trilogy, remastered in that format!
I think someone was working on remaking the games in c++ or c# but I guess it is a lot of work for a few people! If a port would be made it would definitely deserve a remaster!
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:15 am

I know some time after Wonderland Adventures went open source, the community started porting the WA Editor / Player over to C#, with the plan being that once the conversion is complete, WA# as it's being called will be the main version going forward. However, I don't remember hearing about anything similar regarding the Original Trilogy. Perhaps whenever RTW goes open source (I know Patrick said he intends to make it open source too at some point), the community will get to work on a hypothetical RTW#. Until then, I don't see it happening.
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 am

Woah! Wait, my sincerest of apologies! I had no idea this was actually something you had to recreate - 30-40 hours? That's actually absolutely insane >_<

Very, very well done then! My apologies that my goofball observation was the first reply here. :blush:
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:40 pm

Jutomi wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 am
Woah! Wait, my sincerest of apologies! I had no idea this was actually something you had to recreate - 30-40 hours? That's actually absolutely insane >_<

Very, very well done then! My apologies that my goofball observation was the first reply here. :blush:
No problem...It is kinda hard to distinguish from the real image due to the huge res for pixel art!
:stinkyhappy: