Are there going to be new Wonderland games?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Slinker

Are there going to be new Wonderland games?

Post by Slinker » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:30 am

It's been a while since their last official release of planet of the z-bots in 2013 (7 years!). I was wondering if they are still making games of if they disbanded. It seems like a long shot but there's still a possibility.
Student of the Wonderland Academy. The online alias that I mostly use is EnderWarden.

my channel is kinda cool. I upload when I have time to. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb2u7q ... _zb1TSiItA
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Are there going to be new Wonderland games?

Post by rainbowmon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:57 pm

Well, for starters, if you weren't already aware, Midnight Synergy is actually an indie developer, ran by (to my knowledge) just one person, Patrick. And the main reason he made WA open source a couple of years ago is because apparently, he no longer has time to make new games (see: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27815). The fact that Return to Wonderland still hasn't gone open source yet, like he said he intends to do at some point, tells me that yeah, he's pretty busy. So, there probably won't be any new games. At least, not official ones.
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 pm

Yeah, i strongly, strongly doubt it.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 pm

We don't know what's going on in Patrick's life. It is very clear that he currently has no interest in (or capacity to) developing new games. This likely had been going on since the development of POTZ, which is why it went through such a long development cycle, not to mention the extremely long delays between post-release developments (such as the editor).

Thankfully, the Wonderland community has been thriving, largely thanks to the open-sourcing, so there's definitely an incentive to continue the series, but as I said, we don't know what Patrick's up to and judging by what has happened over the last decade, there is no prospect for a new game any time soon. Something could change at some point, but that's definitely not a guarantee or something worth expecting.

Of course there is always the opportunity for fan-made projects to occur, but from my experience those virtually never manage to stand up to the official games. I know how tempting it is to desire for a new game in a great series, but sometimes I think it's best to sit back and enjoy and appreciate the great games that are already out there.
Slinker

Post by Slinker » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:08 am

welp. At least this great series didn't get ruined. Better to hand a game series to your community than to a corporation that shares no love in the series. We can be thankful for that much at least.
Student of the Wonderland Academy. The online alias that I mostly use is EnderWarden.

my channel is kinda cool. I upload when I have time to. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb2u7q ... _zb1TSiItA