Hardest Level in Original Trilogy (TOW, RTW, WSW)

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Hardest Level in Original Trilogy (TOW, RTW, WSW)

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 pm

What, in your opinion is the hardest level in the Original Trilogy. I would have to go with "Stinker Rescue".
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Hardest Level in Original Trilogy (TOW, RTW, WSW)

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Definitely Stinker Rescue, but it was also the most fun. That level utilized tricks that I've not seen in any other official level (especially the stuff with the reflectors), and it is because of this fact that the level was invariably harder to solve. The same could be said for some levels like "Together Again," which uses button tricks not seen in any other level, but this level isn't particularly difficult outside this.

In the original game, I couldn't recall as I haven't played it in what feels like forever, but I imagine it was also probably the last level. For RTW, I found "Rescue Mission" to be tough when I first played it, but "End of the Rainbow" is the hardest since everything is hidden. Again, I think Patrick still did a great job with this finale, as I found it to be a lot of fun, particularly when compared to the utter atrocity that was "One Last Hurrah."
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:12 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 pm
What, in your opinion is the hardest level in the Original Trilogy. I would have to go with "Stinker Rescue".
For some reason, I want to say The Lava River from WSW...it's actually not that hard but annoying.

Hard hard is definitely Stinker Rescue or End of the Rainbow.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:42 pm

Most complicated puzzle: Stinker Rescue
Most complicated chaotic mess: All Fired Up
Hardest singular timing trick: Guard Corridor
Hardest timing you have to repeat: Let's Go For a Walk + Knght's Move
"Long, arduous, precise": One Last For The Road + Rescue Mission + a few WSW levels (The Ice Cave and Trapped in the Vortex spring to mind)
Worst "WHY DOES THIS EVEN EXIST WHAT WAS PATRICK THINKING": Z-bot City (bonus coins only)

I believe that pretty much sums up different kinds of difficulty.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:28 pm

Tech Warrior wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:38 pm
Definitely Stinker Rescue, but it was also the most fun. That level utilized tricks that I've not seen in any other official level (especially the stuff with the reflectors), and it is because of this fact that the level was invariably harder to solve. The same could be said for some levels like "Together Again," which uses button tricks not seen in any other level, but this level isn't particularly difficult outside this.

In the original game, I couldn't recall as I haven't played it in what feels like forever, but I imagine it was also probably the last level. For RTW, I found "Rescue Mission" to be tough when I first played it, but "End of the Rainbow" is the hardest since everything is hidden. Again, I think Patrick still did a great job with this finale, as I found it to be a lot of fun, particularly when compared to the utter atrocity that was "One Last Hurrah."
How is One Last Hurrah an atrocity. Excuse me, RTW is the game i have played the least, so i don't remember that much. It had a lot of different sections if i remember correctly.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:43 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:28 pm

How is One Last Hurrah an atrocity. Excuse me, RTW is the game i have played the least, so i don't remember that much. It had a lot of different sections if i remember correctly.
If the level did not feature a surprise onslaught of chompers at the very end, not to mention tons of bonus coins hidden in walls that you need to try find while avoiding said onslaught, then the level would be perfectly fine - even well designed. But it's the unwarranted action segment at the very end of the level that makes it a headache to play. It adds no value to the level, and you have to go through the entire thing time after time just to try your hand at dodging the chompers at the end again.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:57 am

Tech Warrior wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:43 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:28 pm

If the level did not feature a surprise onslaught of chompers at the very end, not to mention tons of bonus coins hidden in walls that you need to try find while avoiding said onslaught, then the level would be perfectly fine - even well designed. But it's the unwarranted action segment at the very end of the level that makes it a headache to play. It adds no value to the level, and you have to go through the entire thing time after time just to try your hand at dodging the chompers at the end again.
This. Most of the level is memorizable except the reflector UFO coily part. But putting random chompers at the end is frustrating for no reason. Those should be at the start.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am

Its like that level in WSW, don't remember the name, but it was early in the game, where there was a lot of chompers at the end once you collect the final coin, but it was way to early in the game for that much difficulty.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:57 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am
Its like that level in WSW, don't remember the name, but it was early in the game, where there was a lot of chompers at the end once you collect the final coin, but it was way to early in the game for that much difficulty.
The Ampitheater? You can take care of the chompers there with the traps.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm

Yes, it was the Amphitheater. The problem with the chompers is that the first time you play the level, you are almost guaranteed the either be killed by the chompers or by the traps. Hard puzzles like that should be put near the beginning instead of the end, espically since saving is not an option.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:47 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm
Yes, it was the Amphitheater. The problem with the chompers is that the first time you play the level, you are almost guaranteed the either be killed by the chompers or by the traps. Hard puzzles like that should be put near the beginning instead of the end, espically since saving is not an option.
Putting that at the end is a form of build up I suppose. WSW always liked to make things dramatic.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:36 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:47 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Putting that at the end is a form of build up I suppose. WSW always liked to make things dramatic.
How is WSW any more dramatic than TOW or RTW?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:18 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:36 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
It has a lot more action-themed levels and in particular levels that end on action. This I guess is to make it more ''story-like''.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:57 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:18 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Wonderman109 wrote:

It has a lot more action-themed levels and in particular levels that end on action. This I guess is to make it more ''story-like''.
So does the Deluxe Set of RTW. I still don't see how WSW is more action themed.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:43 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:57 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:

WSW is 100% story/action based while that is only true for RTW's expansions and not at all for TOW.
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:26 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:43 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Wonderman109 wrote:

WSW is 100% story/action based while that is only true for RTW's expansions and not at all for TOW.
Which sets were expansions for RTW? Was too young when it came out in 2003.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:38 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:26 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:

The Deluxe set and the Platinum set, respectively 'Return of the Rainbow Spirits' and 'The Teleporters Across Worlds'.
Both story driven. I only played these sets recently (about a year ago).
gottfriedjacob5
Rainbow Seeker

Post by gottfriedjacob5 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:25 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:38 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Wonderman109 wrote:

The Deluxe set and the Platinum set, respectively 'Return of the Rainbow Spirits' and 'The Teleporters Across Worlds'.
Wait, the sets have names? Where did you find them?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:09 pm

gottfriedjacob5 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:25 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:38 pm
gottfriedjacob5 wrote:

Wait, the sets have names? Where did you find them?
Well no I just made the names up, but I do believe they have actual names. I'm not the one to ask though.
The first name is off memory so it may be real, the second is not - I don't think the platinum set has a name at all. :stinkycool: