WA Randomizer App Project || Will This Be Possible?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

WA Randomizer App Project || Will This Be Possible?

Post by RoberTime » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:34 am

Hey I'm back. While I got too caught up on other things in terms of free time and work (the latter of which is the reason why I had no time to do big things), I had the idea for a possible "WA randomizer app" for a while. At first, I thought I could try it through the source code, but heck, that's definitely not the way I could do it with ease. Because last month, I managed to pull off a randomizer of another older game that shuffles external files of music, backgrounds, sprites, even levels. And it looks like WA falls into the same category.

So the idea of this rando app which I plan to assemble soon (if the coast is clear and easy, otherwise sometime next month) is to provide a proper and playable randomized version of WA and the other WA games, should I be able to finish the first.

A basic, early-access idea list of what I plan to randomize via the given app:

- Most adventures
- Most dialogue
- Music tracks
- Level textures
- Object textures (of respective category)
- A fair majority of master.dat files too?
- No randomized single rooms. It would be too gimmicky and messy to manage.

The app does not come packaged with all of the WA assets, and will assume that you have have a legit copy of WA in order to use it.

Though, there are many catches to make a playable rando that doesn't softlock easily, and I need to manage several workarounds in order to make it like that. This includes having a select pool of assets, mostly adventures, that can be shuffled in a specific segment of the game, so that nobody can be softlocked by just hitting something once. (ie, adventures requiring a specific item are not included to shuffle during early-game). I'm sure I'll figure something out, but I'll keep this topic updated whenever I make the progress. Or if anybody ever has ideas, they can help.

A bonus feature for the rando app, and most rando apps do this with their own, is custom content. I also intend to provide a setting to enable custom content made by others around here, if they want to include it in the app. Adventures are included as custom content, but I'm unsure if the WA1 editor is still available to download here. Still, there are plenty of WA1 adventures in the legacy WA forum.

I'll be starting a little slow since I just got back tending to my WA work, and I'm pretty sure the other rando app was made quite some time ago, so I need to recollect my thoughts before I have liftoff. Though if anybody has any other suggestions on what I can do to during the work on the app, go for it.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: WA Randomizer App Project || Will This Be Possible?

Post by nasko222 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:19 pm

I was giving in to that idea before. And now because I recreated all games source codes, thats much easier to do. Do you want my help?