"Small World" Level Entries discussion

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

"Small World" Level Entries discussion

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:43 am

Well, the time has come. The "Small World" Level contest entries have been posted in the Level Packs section.

Play play play, then let everyone know what you think. Ask questions, beg for a hint, make comments, list your top 3 levels, etc, etc, etc.

The three official winners (along with who made what level) will be announced on Wednesday February 11th. As I mentioned before, while we will make the final decision, your comments will be taken into account. So get crackin'... and have fun.

PS: a small personal comment: I think this is a great collection of levels - there are some really neat ideas in them. The collective creativity of this forum is pretty amazing. So thank you everyone for entering and contributing to this community. I know it sounds corny, but you're all winners. :D Now... what are you waiting for... download those levels!!!
Last edited by Midnight Synergy on Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:23 am

Ah, what a pleasant "surprise"! I forgot that Midnight Synergy runs on Greenwich time! I was expecting to have to wait til my tomorrow to see the competition entries. (I'm in GMT-5:00).
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:53 am

Wow. 14 great levels - going to take some time looking through them (well 13 discounting mine). That's a nice number. Had a quick skim through - like Patrick said, great levels.

Get back to you shortly...

:D
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:55 am

Forgot to add: Here's the backstory for Adventure Land 2.5 posted by request of the author (who could that beeeee???? hmmmmm???) ;)

Obviously any accompanying material has no impact on the judging, but it can definitely be enjoyed as part of the level or in its own right.

It's story time... :D
========================
Adventure Land 2.5: Interlude - I once met a mouse as big as a house!

Stinky & Loof are fresh from the big adventure with uncle Joe... Dynamite Joe to the rest of you.
With Gilligan Jnr in toe & very much excited to see Marge's new haunted house theme park, they
set off. On their way they pass by Bob (from AdvLand 1) to drop off some cookies that uncle Joe made
for him & his little sister Marge - also they want to check on how Bob got on getting all the animals back
into their cages... Bob wasn't overly happy about Stinky letting them out in the first place but he took it in
stride with a smile.

As they near Bob's farm (the bottom of his house appears on the top left of the level), Gilligan Jnr remembers
that his good friend Frank (a field mouse) & his wife Deidre live next to Bob with 12 of their children...
Now Frank is in all sorts of trouble. After a few problems with his weight, Frank's doctor decided to put him
on a diet and told him no cheese for a month!
Deidre had no luck with Frank sneeking into the kitchen each night & finally decided to booby trap the
pantry.... a little extreme but it seemed to have deterred him.

Forced to accept his mushroom diet, Frank gradually starts to see some benefit. All is well until one day,
a girl by the name of Alice (from a different Wonderland - yes, the very same who should have know better!)
sold him the sweetest mushrooms he had ever seen. One bite however had some terrible consequences and
Frank grew to an enormous size (well, for a mouse anyway).

A quick trip to the family doctor set his mind at ease. In consultation with his city cousin, he concluded that all
Frank needed to do was eat some cheese and he would return to his normal size!

His joy was quickly dashed however when Deidre reminded him, "Hon, I booby trapped the pantry, remember?"
"So, what's the problem? We'll just un-booby trap it & everything will be right as rain... right? What's the look for?"
"Well, I went for a quick bite last night & realised... I forgot how to do it!"

"Aaarrrgh!"

Help solve the puzzle of how to get the cheese from the pantry to Frank (just imagine that the bolders are big
round blocks of dutch Edam cheese). Seeing as Deidre set the traps in the first place she's volunteered
to help. And get Stinky, Loof & Gilligan Jnr to the exit and on their way to Adventure Land 3: Marge's Haunt !

This level has it all - and some romance to boot! Remembering this is a family show, that happens after the levels done...
... curious?

=======================
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:58 am

I thought I'd have to wait 'til tomorrow also - What a nice surprise when I got home from work - competition levels ARE POSTED!!! I had a brief look at each one of them - WOW! This is DEFINITELY competition!!! I'll be having lots of fun the next few days, as I'm sure the rest of you will - I can't believe any of those who entered actually said, "I hope my entry isn't too silly..." or something similar to that. I saw several of those kinds of comments in the last week. From what I've seen, NONE of these are even close to being silly or anything even in that category. Glad I don't have to be the final judge!
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:56 pm

Me too! :shock: I expected to have to wait until this morning, imagine my surprise when my son finally registered, went to the exchange and found them posted already! I wouldn't let him download them as I wanted to make sure it was done right and put in the proper place, :lol: , and I wanted the first peek at them! :lol: These are great levels! Oh boy, Oh boy! (rubbing hands together enthusiastically)
SharonM
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:51 pm

Well, so far, I really like "Stinky Crusoe" - a very imaginative idea! I haven't quite figured it all out yet, but I'm having fun trying!
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

small world comp

Post by janetgalle » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:11 pm

You people are diabolical/clever/evil/brilliant/sneaky/great.......I've blundered my way through 7 of them, but I think it will be while before I figure out the rest. Great job!!!

JG
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:14 pm

I've only managed to get 3 or 4 so far. They are ALL fun and good!!! My first reaction is I think Laughter and Jailbreak are great. They made me think, fun to look at, and are not too hard that the fun is taken away. As far as visual goes (I haven't figured it yet!!) I think A small Adventure has a nice variety of things, without looking too confusing. AND of course I think mine is the easiest and doesn't hold a candle to most of the others. OOOooo this is fun!! :D I think I'll try to figure out another one before supper!!
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:42 pm

Hi again,
I agree with eeyore31, mine seems easy compared to all the others, but then I know the secret! :lol: So far Stinky Crusoe, Coins, Diversionary Tactics, and Lightning are among the levels stumping me. Lightning is more a matter of me getting my timing down right, :lol: All of the levels are great and I'm glad I'm not judging them. Tough call! :)
SharonM
DiscGolfer
Rainbow Wizard

Post by DiscGolfer » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:28 am

Man, these levels are great! My compliments to all of you!!!
I've looked at all of them. Actually, I've played all of them, but have only knocked off six so far. :lol:
I honestly don't know how some of you think up the stuff you do. I'm clueless on a few of them. :o
My students have never worked harder to earn free time on the computer.
:D

SharonM- Lightning is a timing nightmare. :twisted:
When (if?) you get to the first safe spot, take a little time to look below at the wonderful incorporation of the 14 X 14 puzzle theme. There is so much going on so fast at the start, that one really doesn't get to appreciate the visual aesthetics of the level :lol:
Hopefully, if you can get both Stinky and Loof thru the next timing nightmare(s), you'll get to see it up close. 8)
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:30 am

Safe spot? Stinky is killed before I get to see ANYthing!!! Whew! This is going to be a hard one!!! I finished 7 so far & they ALL are good - fun & make you think also. But the two that have me really stumped are Lightning & Surprise. Lightning for obvious reasons - Surprise - I'm not sure if I'm missing a trick or what, but it seems impossible. Well, back to the game!
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:38 pm

I've gotten to the first safe spot...finally...and stand there looking silly....no where to go. :shock: I didn't even think to see if Loof was there!!!! I better get back and try again. Yes, this is fun to figure out, I have only figured out 8 so far, including mine!!! All have been fun.
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
DiscGolfer
Rainbow Wizard

Post by DiscGolfer » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:12 pm

If you've made it to the first safe spot, and you can't cross the boulder bridge (2 spaces/4 boulders), then you haven't used Loof to push the final boulder. That is the tricky part :twisted: Once you find him, it requires 4 accurate and clean keystrokes to do it while Stinky is on the "treadmill". Then to get off the treadmill, after that move, requires another quick step. Throughout this initial section you must utilize the momentum that the conveyor and transporters provide. Doing any of these moves while on the floor tile will lead to a sudden demise as Stinky is crushed by the following boulder. :cry:
Last edited by DiscGolfer on Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:08 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

These entries are fab! I'm having a whale of a time, you lot are brilliant!

So far I have completed eight, loved them all! :D :D :D :D

I know what to do in Stinky Crusoe but getting through the last bit has me frazzled, can't explain I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.

DG,
Lightning has my fingers to the bone! AWWWW
I don't give up that easy, even if I end up on my elbows haha.

Must get back, no time to chat or do any work. ho hum.

Luv u all
xxx :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:43 am

Surprise, Just 3 Coins, Diversionary Tactics (and of course, Lightning) are the ones that are giving me problems. Just when I think I've got it figured out, I discover there's something I've missed! Wondering if the secret with "Surprise" is that the Chompers have to come out with just the right timing so the spikes get 'em. Just 3 Coins has me going around in circles, but I KNOW I can figure it out (eventually!). Diversionary Tactics - that one coin to the left of the box by Loof I can't figure out - still working madly on it! Oh boy - what FUN I'm having on a cold, Friday night - weeeeeeeeeeeeeee - I can stay up LATE tonight! (YES, it DOES get cold in Arizona!) :lol:
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:49 am

There's another one I really like: "A Simple Plan" - thought that one was really fun. I had to play it several times to get everything just right, but I LIKED it! Good level!
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:42 am

I GIVE UP! No one has mentioned "Surprise" except me - which probably means the rest of you have figured it out! HELP!!!! When I finally DO get all Chompers (which was only once & probably by coincidence), then I have the Kabooms to contend with. This one has me stumped. Can anyone help??????
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:54 am

majic1, I was definately surprised by Surprise :)

HINT:

My main thing was to block at least one entrance where the kabooms come out and make sure I keep 2 boxes free. That is not the complete solution but may be enough of a hint to help. :) Let me know if you need more.
SharonM
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:58 am

Thanks - will try this. But first, I have to get ALL THE CHOMPERS AGAIN! Darn!
jperleevt
Rainbow Master

Post by jperleevt » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:34 am

majic1

i got the timing down on the chompers (after a lot of practice) I can tell you waht I did if it will help.

Jen
jperleevt
Rainbow Master

Post by jperleevt » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:45 am

OK so I've been so busy playing the levels I haven't had time to write. I've cleared all but 2 (Div. Tactic and Curose). I'm totally stuck on those two. I guess I'll have to play more.
Just wanted to catch up on reading posts. All the levels are really good, I need to play some of them over so I can remember what they were like.

Jen
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:46 am

PLEASE! YES - do tell me! Why is it some levels are easy for some people and not others??? That is one thing I've discovered about this forum -levels that I think are very easy, have another person stumped. And then levels that I just can't get, another person thinks is a piece of cake! Isn't it nice we're all different I guess - ANYWAY, YES, GIVE ME MORE HINTS! (How embarrassing) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:00 am

Oh my GOSH, JEN - what an accomplisment!! Diversionary Tactics & Stinky Crusoe I haven't finished, but know I CAN! There are a couple though, (like Lightning) that I'm not sure I CAN! Stinky Crusoe I have pretty much figured out, just can't get everything in the right order yet. Diversionary, I really need a hint, I think. Looks so simple, but I can't figure it all out. Oh great, I feel DUMB again! YOU finished all but Diversionary & Stinky Crusoe? I feel REALLY DUMB! Did you actually FINISH Lightning????? TELL US HOW YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jperleevt
Rainbow Master

Post by jperleevt » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:06 am

Timing for the Chompers...

Stand next to one of the coins. Wait for the spikes to go DOWN, count to 4 (slowly) I say One One Thousand, Two One Thousand, etc.
Quickly get the coin you are next too and than walk over the spikes, than keep walking to get atleast one more space away from the spikes. The chomper should get killed. Forever I was not moving an additional soace away and both me and the chomper would get killed.

Hope that makes sense. I can illustrate if it doesn't. Hope you get it, I'll check in tomorrow I'm off to catch some zzzz's

Jen

PS - Any hints on Cursoe or Div. Tactics?
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:16 am

Crusoe - I "think" I've got it! -If so, hints will be here tomorrow! Weeeeeeee!
jperleevt
Rainbow Master

Post by jperleevt » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:20 am

I did finishing lighting although it took me forever. I'll try and explain it tomorrow, to tired now. It is all in the timing and than more timing.

Jen
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:21 am

One more comment - I was hoping Jen (jperleevt) would tell us HOW IN THE WORLD she conquered "lightning" - I don't think I'll EVER finish this one!
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:33 am

You mean, we have to sleep?? Yes - getting ready to get comfy in my warm bed, also. It's extremely hard to leave Wonderland, the addict that I am. I CAN do it, tomorrow is almost here (what's the problem when I dream about Wonderland anyway?) :)
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:50 am

Not including mine, I've solved 9 levels. Yes, including DiscGolfer's.

Oh yeah, I also found a way to enter the exit for Stinky Crusoe--but haven't completely found a way to do it and collect all the rainbow coins yet. :wink: Not to mention how many times one small silly thing can go wrong in that level forcing me to start over again...10 more tries and it'll make Lightning look like a piece of cake. :oops: :wink: Guess that's just me though. [I have similar problems with Wonderland's last level; it's not exactly difficult, but I have to play it so many times because the longer the level solution is, the more places for me to goof up on. :oops: ]

The levels have definitely far exceeded my expectations! :D Thanks everyone for their excellent efforts!

Oh yeah, I wish people would comment on more levels besides Stinky Crusoe and Lightning though--so far they've, if nothing else, certainly won the popularity contest here! :lol: Oh well, I guess it's harder to comment on other levels when no one has finished them all yet.

[edit: some people here sure are posting like mad while I composed this message! :wink: I noticed only now that by the time I submitted this message, already there were like 10 more posts that I don't remember were there! And I noticed that more levels have gotten mentioned, so ignore that last paragraph]
Last edited by LinkyNStoof on Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.