Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 158/195 levels released, NEW: "False Prophecy")

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 156/195 levels released, NEW: "The Tabernacle")

Post by Amnon » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:43 am

I made #155.

I find it hard to say whether it is of difficulty 9.5/10 or 10/10.

This zodiac puzzle is the most exquisite work of art, so much went into it, I truly admire it.
I do however find the endgame the most difficult part.

Thanks!!!!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 156/195 levels released, NEW: "The Tabernacle")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:07 pm

Thanks Amnon!!

Per your solution, here is a variant of Lv155 which requires yet another new approach... This was originally the main level, but I figured it was too difficult. Perhaps this is a 10/10.

Lv155A - "More Fake Exits" (9.5/10)

Download Notes:

Extract the level into your 'WD15 - Into the 5th Dimension' folder. Extract the 'fireisle' folder into your CustomModels directory if you didn't yet get it from the initial world download.

Enjoy!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:18 am

What's next for the team?? They're deep inside the Tabernacle, so that means more word puzzles, right?

FALSE.

I had something completely different in mind for this next one. No cryptic riddles. No logic puzzles or gate codes. No glitch-filled or mechanism-based puzzles. Just a completely classic sokoban puzzle... with a twist. It's a shadow stinker sokoban!! And each character's moves are bandaged to some degree, making for a pretty healthy challenge.

Lv157 - "Sinister Stinkers" (8/10) - Every move counts in this calculated shadow stinker sokoban. Can you get gold??

Download Notes:

Extract the levels into your 'WD15 - Into the 5th Dimension' folder.

Enjoy!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 157/195 levels released, NEW: "Sinister Stinkers")

Post by Amnon » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:11 am

Revised level #155A done.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 157/195 levels released, NEW: "Sinister Stinkers")

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:35 pm

Stinky, Loof, and Qookie have now come face-to-face with the oracle. What message does she have for the team? This level is extremely important, as the dialogue throughout contains some important information which may very well introduce a new puzzle for you to solve...

Lv158 - "False Prophecy" (8/10) - The oracle's challenge is all about discovery, and this level is one hell of a cryptic ride, combining classic Wonderland, riddles, and some faith, all in the smallest possible space – the design being heavily inspired by Mark’s style. The oracle’s message to the team is ominous, but it contains information that will be essential for completing Quest for the Five Elements.

NOTE: Upon completing #158, reflect on the oracle’s message, and determine what you have already found, and what you have yet to find… You will be unable to successfully complete Quest for the Five Elements without this information.

Download Notes:

Extract the levels into your 'WD15 - Into the 5th Dimension' folder.

Enjoy!!
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 158/195 levels released, NEW: "False Prophecy")

Post by Amnon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:02 am

Completed level #156 (The Tabernacle) - thanks for the fun!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 158/195 levels released, NEW: "False Prophecy")

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Amnon wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:02 am
Completed level #156 (The Tabernacle) - thanks for the fun!
Nice work!! Would you say it is a 7.5, or perhaps in the expert category?

Also, did you get to both tokens in this level?
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Nice work!! Would you say it is a 7.5, or perhaps in the expert category?
Perhaps just 7/10.
Also, did you get to both tokens in this level?
Oh No, I didn't see any - I'll have to go back and look for them...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:18 am

So yes, with the tokens it is a 7.5/10.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:15 pm

Done level #157.

Very nice, I would say it is of difficulty 8/10.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:31 pm

Amnon wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:15 pm
Done level #157.

Very nice, I would say it is of difficulty 8/10.
Nice work.

In fact an earlier version of this level reduced the available moves in the keg area to a 4x4 area and without a shadow Peegue, but this proved much too difficult (however still possible).

Now after #158, you may have additional work to do...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm

Done level #158 (False Prophecy).

Yes, I would say it is a 8/10 in difficulty.

I am not sure what more work I need to do apart from the tokens which I already have.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:32 pm

Amnon wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm
Done level #158 (False Prophecy).

Yes, I would say it is a 8/10 in difficulty.

I am not sure what more work I need to do apart from the tokens which I already have.
The work here relates to:

The Blitzkrieg Clues. I know you have found at least one. But now you are given the locations of all six, assuming you have not yet located the others. At this point only four have been released.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:09 am

Quest for the Five Elements UPDATE:

Greetings - thank you to everyone who has been a part of the QFE rolling release so far. Earlier today, my laptop which is primarily used for work and puzzle development was stolen, and with that much of the remaining work in QFE's remaining levels. Not least of these was #159, which was getting close to testing phase. Thankfully, I've learned from past mistakes, and most of the series is backed up in a cloud. However, a significant amount of progress still has been lost, and I now need to transfer everything I have to my other laptop while I work on replacing the one I had been using - so it will take some time to redevelop these ideas a second time. This is among the lower of my priorities for the time being, as there were other consequences as a result of what happened I must address first.

Thanks for your patience - I am not giving up, but it will take some time to regroup as I have other things going on right now. Once I get back on my feet here, another update will be made.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:23 am

Thank you for the update and I am glad that you are physically well as I started to get worried about your health.

And let this be a reminder for everyone - backup your work, backup and backup again.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:44 am

Recovery update:

Quest for the Five Elements has been fully recovered, and after a few months also of taking a break (I have also been traveling, so time has been limited), the project is officially back in active development. More updates to come as I get back into the groove since I haven't touched QFE in a while, but wanted to put out a brief update letting what's left of the community know what is going on. Expect the coming updates to be a bit more spread out than before - I'm very busy nowadays, and can only work on QFE now and then. The newest levels are very complex and are taking a long time to complete properly, so just bear with me. It will be worth the wait.
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Post by |Cookie| » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:39 pm

It's great news to hear that you managed to recover the levels, hopefully the laptop too?

I really applaud your dedication for working on this project, I haven't checked many levels yet but I will be definitely chewing through them every once in a while!
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:14 am

|Cookie| wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:39 pm
It's great news to hear that you managed to recover the levels, hopefully the laptop too?

I really applaud your dedication for working on this project, I haven't checked many levels yet but I will be definitely chewing through them every once in a while!
Thank you Cookie! Unfortunately the laptop was never recovered - most of what was on it had been backed up in a cloud, including QFE, but not everything was. What wasn't there had to effectively be replaced from scratch, and for the most part this has been done.

Now everything goes directly into the cloud!
sgern

Post by sgern » Sat May 27, 2023 1:05 am

Level 82: "Behind Crystal Lake" is impossible in the current version of Wonderland Plus, as the Z-Bots die as soon as the level starts when they hit the bridge instead of turning in the proper formation.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat May 27, 2023 9:17 am

My active game file is "wdlhgamep.exe" which has 2112KB (2162688 bytes), and the levels works fine - is yours different?
sgern

Post by sgern » Sat May 27, 2023 8:40 pm

I'm referring to this project: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28301. v0.6.1d has some incorrect behavior that renders the level impossible.

Not sure what file you're talking about. RtW vanilla uses wdlgamep.exe, and Wonderland Plus uses Launcher.exe and WonderlandPlus.exe.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat May 27, 2023 9:15 pm

Oh, OK - I was not aware of Wonderland Plus.
sgern

Post by sgern » Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 pm

Yeah, it's nice. The quick restart and widescreen features alone make it worth using over vanilla, and that's just the start of the enhancements it adds. Just make sure to try levels in vanilla if they seem impossible in WPlus, as the gameplay isn't quite 100% 1-to-1 yet.

Funnily enough, this isn't the first time bridges have been an issue for me. RtW 3-5 (I think) doesn't work in WPlus because bridges improperly block Ghosts when Ghosts should float over them.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun May 28, 2023 4:24 am

sgern wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 pm
Yeah, it's nice. The quick restart and widescreen features alone make it worth using over vanilla, and that's just the start of the enhancements it adds. Just make sure to try levels in vanilla if they seem impossible in WPlus, as the gameplay isn't quite 100% 1-to-1 yet.

Funnily enough, this isn't the first time bridges have been an issue for me. RtW 3-5 (I think) doesn't work in WPlus because bridges improperly block Ghosts when Ghosts should float over them.
There was a time I was actively involved with that project, but have since had other things come up. Has the save/load feature been fully implemented at this time? I know this feature alone was a major draw for many players, especially with this series in particular given how long some of these levels take to execute.

I don't even know of any players other than Amnon who have played beyond World 9, much less made all the way up to #158, even though there is a relatively high number of downloads for the current release (25 as of now). I must imagine that save/load functionality would improve playability quite significantly for many of the larger levels which, I suspect, are the primary culprit for the roadblocks.
sgern

Post by sgern » Sun May 28, 2023 5:13 am

Doesn't look like WPlus has saving/loading. I think the mobile and Steam versions do/will, but IMO the mobile version really doesn't look good, both in terms of aesthetics (the menus look super cheap) and gameplay (whether or not the complaints about stiff/unresponsive controls are justified, touch controls are just too slow and imprecise for this game), and the Steam version would need to really outshine both vanilla and WPlus to be worth using when either of those are already set up.

Yeah, the longer levels can be a bit of a pain sometimes, depending on the skills needed. I didn't even technically complete The Library. For some reason I didn't have all the coins after opening both gates and getting everything (I think a Shadow Stinker is supposed to get one, and if he can't in WPlus that's another bug), so I just sort of declared victory and moved on. A level that takes almost 4 minutes to really start is not one I want to go over with a fine-toothed comb multiple times to figure out what went wrong.

On a brighter note, I just discovered you can make World Packs in the Level Editor, and will be trying to consolidate the levels in Q5E for easier access.

EDIT: It... mostly works. Each world in a pack can only have 10 levels, so I'll need to split them up.

Also the music download you have for level 140 is expired.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon May 29, 2023 2:04 am

sgern wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:13 am
For some reason I didn't have all the coins after opening both gates and getting everything (I think a Shadow Stinker is supposed to get one, and if he can't in WPlus that's another bug), so I just sort of declared victory and moved on.
Is it such that you only have one rainbow coin remaining, despite having both accessed and followed exactly the instructions for Gate #0441? Or, if this is successful, are you able to access the yellow teleporter?

Regarding the shadow stinker: Yes, he is supposed to collect a rainbow coin. However, if you managed to complete the boulder puzzle and access Gate 0441, that means the coin was collected. For Gate 0441, it is a rainbow spirit that collects the final coin. There are a number of mechanics at play here, so I could not determine whether it is a bug in W+ or not.

Many later levels utilize a lot of mechanical systems like what you've seen in "The Library," so I wouldn't be surprised if other noticeable bugs begin to pop up, given that these mechanical systems are based on vanilla mechanics. Additionally, some later levels use metatiles and popular RTW glitches, which I am guessing will not work in W+ unless these were specifically coded as features. While playing this series is a great way to test these things for W+ development, I think it will eventually become a headache to play this series in W+ given how complex some of these levels become (in other words, you may not realize if you are missing puzzle elements because of a bug, or if you're seeing the full puzzle for how it's intended).

In either case, I will help the best I can. I think it would be great for this series to work fully in W+ once save/load is added - you will notice that even with Lv140, I provide a template level as a workaround for save/load, even if that by itself does not solve the issue of that level's length (an issue that save/load would effectively mitigate).
sgern wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:13 am
Also the music download you have for level 140 is expired.
Thanks, updated the download.
sgern

Post by sgern » Mon May 29, 2023 2:55 am

Is it such that you only have one rainbow coin remaining, despite having both accessed and followed exactly the instructions for Gate #0441? Or, if this is successful, are you able to access the yellow teleporter?

Regarding the shadow stinker: Yes, he is supposed to collect a rainbow coin. However, if you managed to complete the boulder puzzle and access Gate 0441, that means the coin was collected. For Gate 0441, it is a rainbow spirit that collects the final coin. There are a number of mechanics at play here, so I could not determine whether it is a bug in W+ or not.
I did get both gates open. I might have just dropped the ball on getting all the easily-accessible coins. I'm guessing I was pretty tired by that point.

I'll play through the pack on WPlus by default, falling back to vanilla if something's broken (which hopefully won't happen very much).