Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 158/195 levels released, NEW: "False Prophecy")

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 119/195 levels released, NEW: "The Floodgate")

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm

I hope you're ready for the CRYSTAL FOREST FINALE, which is the biggest climax so far in your journey... the world-ending Thunder Portal has arrived, combining with the power of the water element to create a massive superstorm - Hurricane Maxima. And though it's still in the ocean now, it is headed straight for Crystal City. This finale is full of intricate puzzles to match Crystal Forest's themes, and as well is a big chapter for the story's exposition. Have fun, and good luck, with what is one of my personal FAVORITE finale levels in the quest.

Still no sign of your friends. Still no promise of what lies on the other side of the portal. Still no hope for Crystal City's survival. The UFO army has begun its invasion. The end of everything is the occasion.

Lv120 - "Element 3: Eye of the Storm" (9/10)

Now, we can reflect on Crystal Forest as a whole, which is now fully uploaded (and the first post updated to include it):

The magical, cold, eerie Crystal Forest sits on the coast of Crystal City, and is the center of two very important items that the gang has been searching for: Wonderland's lost element of water, and the ominous Thunder Portal that the gang learned about back in the Temple of Elements. But, no land in Crystal City lacks resources, and you should expect plenty of secrets and treasures throughout your journey inside. From complex, intricate, slow and steady puzzles, to pattern-based action sequences - from the deep woods to the open ocean, including a sacred forest temple - Crystal Forest has something for everyone. But be careful - it looks like the Thunder Portal is approaching, spawning a hurricane in its reach. So don't get too comfortable.

On difficulty: This world has been quite a journey of its own, with many different kinds of levels - all of them in the expert-tier category. It's true that the Quest is not getting any easier, but in terms of maximum difficulty - this is about where it levels out for a while, with "Mind Games" (#110) still remaining the toughest so far. I'll be sure to update the hints/solutions page soon!

Lv111 - Climb a Tree
Lv112 - Giving In
Lv113 - UFO Trespassing
Lv114 - Stumped to the Root
Lv115 - Forest Traps
Lv116 - Currents
Lv117 - Let 'em Loose
Lv118 - Gate Insanity
Lv119 - The Floodgate
Lv120 - Element 3: Eye of the Storm

I know that all current players of the Quest are not fully caught up yet, so as usual there will be a break lasting a few weeks before we dive into WORLD 12.

Download Notes:

If you already downloaded the main ZIP (worlds 1-10), and the rest of the Crystal Forest levels individually, simply download Lv120 in this post, and extract the level into your WD11 - Crystal Forest folder.

If you haven't downloaded Crystal Forest yet, download the full 'WD11 - Crystal Forest' ZIP in this post. Extract the world folder to your Quest for the Five Elements directory, then extract 'crystalforest' and 'crystaltemple' to your Custom Textures directory.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 120/195 levels released, NEW: "Element 3: Eye of the Storm")

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:21 am

WORLD 12 Preliminary Notes:

Crystal Forest's finale ends on a very big cliffhanger - so large, in fact, that revealing the title of World 12 would be a massive spoiler. That's why the release format will be done in a very secretive way. The level names themselves do not spoil the world, so they will be released normally. However, there will be no level descriptions as we have done in Crystal Forest, nor will the world name itself be revealed - even after its full release. Inevitably, it will eventually get spoiled, but this way there is a nice buffer.

WITHOUT SPOILING anything, I can guarantee that World 12 as a whole will be a unique experience you have not yet seen in Wonderland, and it's a huge experimental approach I am excited to share. Both in terms of its level design and its method of story immersion, you do not want to miss out on what will be a very climactic moment in QftFE.

This is also a good time to remind everyone that you should be cautious about reading any forum posts that follow where you're at in the quest, as these may contain spoilers - and I'll be doing my best to contain story elements as much as possible going forward, so that you can enjoy the in-game experience more. This cautious approach begins with World 12.

WE WILL BEGIN on June 22, 2021, as I will not be available until that point!!
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 120/195 levels released, NEW: "Element 3: Eye of the Storm")

Post by Kamerson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:46 pm

World 5 complete! This was a fun world, and the second half was just as fun as the first! A few of the puzzles threw me for a loop, and the solutions were clever! Looking forward to World 6!
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks, and nice job!! With the acquisition of the map to the Temple of Elements, you have fully completed CHAPTER ONE: The Mission Begins - a reminder that your mission is, in fact, only just beginning.

Enjoy CHAPTER TWO, where the story will start to unfold on a magnificent scale. World 6 is mostly easier than World 5, save for the big finale - enjoy your expedition for the temple! I very much enjoy your streams - I probably won't be able to join any before June 22 in any case.

Thanks for playing!!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm

WORLD 12 begins... as does Wonderland's darkest mystery...

World intro: N/A

Chance of survival: N/A

Lv121 - "Laws of Physics" (7.5/10)

For a SPOILER-FREE experience, do NOT enter this world until you have completed everything up to the Crystal Forest finale.

Download Notes:

There are THREE custom textures for this world. I will provide the first in this post, then you will get the other two later. Extract the "WD12" folder into your 'Quest for the Five Elements' directory (already contains Lv121), then extract 'low2' into your Custom Textures directory. Extract 'empty' into your Custom Background directory.

Enjoy!! May the odds be ever... against you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 121/195 levels released, NEW: "Laws of Physics")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Get used to the week-long breaks... these levels are taking more time to test - and I'm busy!

Again, my usual disclaimer: DO NOT set foot into World 12 without completing the Crystal Forest finale, unless you want to spoil yourself.

Lv122 - "Uncomfortable Comforts" (7.5/10)

Download Notes:

Your SECOND texture for this world makes its debut in this level, so make sure to grab it. Extract the level into your 'WD12' folder. Extract 'low' into your Custom Textures directory. Extract 'empty' into your Custom Backgrounds directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy - don't get too comfortable!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 122/195 levels released, NEW: "Uncomfortable Comforts")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:24 am

Oh, the mystery thickens as your shields die and hope vanishes before you. Oh well - at least your chances of survival have finally been calculated, and so far they're relatively decent.

Lv123 - "Shields" (8.5/10)

Chances of survival: 66%

Download Notes:

Extract the level into your 'WD12' folder. Extract 'low' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it. Extract 'empty' into your Custom Backgrounds directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy - don't let your guard(s) down.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 123/195 levels released, NEW: "Shields")

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am

Okay, time for a different update: The PRACTICE levels update!!

I think that, with what I continue to learn about effective level design, combining puzzle/action elements makes for more interesting levels. However, it can also make them a pain to have to repeat over and over again just to get back to the same section you need to figure out. So, today I'll be introducing several "practice" levels that act as pieces of some of the quest's larger levels. You already have practice levels for some of the recent ones - Lv110, 118, and 119. But there are several others that need them too!

Use the practice levels to help you nail some of the tougher action segments in otherwise puzzle-based levels, or to solve smaller parts of large puzzle-oriented levels (i.e. "Mind Games", level 110). This update lets you add them all to the appropriate folder, and I'll add them to the main ZIP once World 12 is fully released (maybe end July??).

Lv67A - "Break Through" (arena section) - The UFO section which is the toughest individually.

Lv83A - "Plunging South" (hints and practice) - Hints to the puzzle, plus you can practice the fast moves.

Lv100A - "Toasty" (timing practice) - Practice the western section.

Lv109A - "The Red Room" (skill shot practice) - Practice the rainbow spirit bit.

Lv117A - "Let 'em Loose" (skill shot practice) - Get your timing right on the Scouge section... So you can get it every time.

Lv117B - "Let 'em Loose" (end sequence) - The entire ending action sequence, (kinda sorta) which is not that hard ONCE you get a rhythm for it.

Note that some levels are especially omitted despite their length. For example, Level 93, "The Winds of Winter," is definitely a long beast. However, it's a very interconnected puzzle, so I can't really provide a practice version that doesn't spoil it. Same for 120, "Eye of the Storm." And then there is Level 106, "Matrix of Madness," which I decided not to give a "post-start" variant since you can get there easily once you find the correct combination.

Okay, enjoy this update! I hope this helps with some of the tough cookies, but let me know if there are other levels which need such an update!!

Download Notes:

Place each practice level in the corresponding folder with its parent level. So, Lv67A would go in the 'WD6 - Snowy Mountains' folder with Lv67. Alternatively, you may wish to have all practice levels in their own folder. It's really up to you.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 123/195 levels released, NEW: "Shields")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:55 am

LV68 UPDATE:

Thanks to Kamerson, a huge bug that breaks the level has been fixed. Please download this update and replace the level in your directory if you already have it!
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:41 am

World 6 complete! Thank you for providing a practice level for Break Through, and I'm glad I was able to discover a bug in Battle at Blizzard Peak! Both levels were very difficult in an otherwise easy world! The entire world was fun and clever, and I'm glad I was able to get rid of the UFOs! ...for now. Next is World 7! :stinkyhappy:

Also, I've been recording level solutions for World 5. Once they're all recorded, I'll e-mail them to you!
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 pm

After some good discussion with Amnon, "Let 'em Loose" (Lv117) has been significantly revised to alter its ridiculous difficulty problem... Here is what I have learned through his feedback there:

- The level's puzzle becomes pointless to solve due to the ending section being a far too risky action sequence, considering the puzzle segment can take nearly half an hour to solve.
- The time it takes to solve said puzzle has also been significantly reduced, specifically the cannon section, which changes parts of the solve.
- The difficulty of the puzzle itself remains unchanged (in fact, it may be slightly trickier to figure out); rather, the overall difficulty of the level has been reduced.
- The "practice" levels included in the last update are no longer needed, but they will be left up until the next main ZIP update.

Additionally, Lv118 "Gate Insanity" has been improved to incorporate an interesting new idea: an in-level difficulty selector!! There is no apparent advantage of choosing the harder difficulty over the easier, except that you get a greater "arcade" challenge, because this is an arcade level.

This feedback has been helpful in allowing me to re-analyze some of the later levels which fall prey to the "difficult puzzle followed by difficult action sequence" - thankfully, these have not yet been released. So, they can be modified accordingly.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 am

Meanwhile I just completed level #119 (The Floodgate).

It is very difficult but rewarding. It took me over a week and is probably the top reasonable difficulty level. Thanks!

I will look at the revised #117 and #118 again when I find the time.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 pm

Nice job - 119 is no puzzle for the faint of heart. Would you say that it deserves a 9.5/10, and/or is more difficult to crack than 110 "Mind Games"? Indeed, it's one of the toughest in the quest.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 am

Finally we have a new release - though, I wasn't exactly in a rush to get these out! Now things are getting really tricky, and I'm not just referring to the laws of physics... The smallest levels always make for the toughest puzzles, especially where we are...

Lv124 - "Close Quadrants" (7.5/10)

Chances of survival: 41%

Download Notes:

Extract the level into your 'WD12' folder. Extract 'low' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it. Extract 'empty' into your Custom Backgrounds directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 124/195 levels released, NEW: "Close Quadrants")

Post by Amnon » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 am

Would you say that it deserves a 9.5/10, and/or is more difficult to crack than 110 "Mind Games"?
It is a 9.5/10, but I still don't know about "Mind Games" because I have not cracked it so far.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 124/195 levels released, NEW: "Close Quadrants")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:13 am

Amnon wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 am
Would you say that it deserves a 9.5/10, and/or is more difficult to crack than 110 "Mind Games"?
It is a 9.5/10, but I still don't know about "Mind Games" because I have not cracked it so far.
What do you mean? You already solved "Mind Games" - the Crystal City finale, a couple months ago. Then we discussed it at length - I'm wondering which between these two is the tougher puzzle, as for me it is difficult to answer. Because on the surface I think 119 is definitely more complex, but then on the other, 110 requires several consistent changes to the way of thinking about the solve before you have a chance to solve it. So really the next question is: are complex puzzles tougher than puzzles that require simpler but more out-of-the-box solutions? I guess they could be one in the same, or perhaps it's quite subjective.
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:16 am

World 7 complete! Definitely a shorter world, but there were some complex levels that threw me for a loop, especially Crystal Chasms! Well done! :stinkyhappy:

Next world is the Temple of Elements! Looking forward to it!!

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:26 am

Oops, sorry for the confusion: I mistakenly thought that you asked me to compare 119 with 120 (Element 3), which I only just started.

Mind Games was significantly more difficult than The Floodgate, and so it should be because it is the final in its series.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 pm

Very nice Kamerson - yes, Crystal Chasms is a tough one, as you no doubt tried to solve it without the Kaboom first, right?
And now you've reached a climax indeed - enjoy your rich discoveries inside the temple on your next stream. You have a library awaiting you.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:10 am

Just made Gate Insanity (#118) - mad indeed.

Of course I only did it on the "easiest" option and I have no intention of trying otherwise.

Thank you.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Indeed Amnon, 118 is more a level for the arcade enthusiasts, especially the INSANITY difficulty.

Now I'll be releasing the rest of World 12 more quickly since I need to update the main ZIP. Here are the next THREE levels, which have been complete for several months now...

Lv125 - "Over the Rainbow" (9/10) - Did you escape? Is hope for eternity's future imminent, or is it just life's greatest lie? Come to find out over the rainbow...

Lv126 - "Cliffhanger" (9/10) - A mammoth puzzle with a complexity unmatched by my previous puzzles, and one of my hardest to date. I guess "The Floodgate" is a good precursor for this one. This level is in fact a cliffhanger - pun absolutely intended!

Lv127 - "Labyrinth" (7/10) - What lies beyond the cliffs? The end of World 12 is near, but there is still so much you need to learn. About life.

Download Notes:

Extract the levels into your 'WD12' folder. Extract 'low' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it. Extract 'empty' into your Custom Backgrounds directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 127/195 levels released, NEW: "Labyrinth")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:51 pm

And here is the finale, with the entirety of World 12 now uploaded, so that I can update the main ZIP on the first post! No point in waiting around to release these, since it will still take plenty of time to get to this point.

Lv128 - "Descent Into Anguish" (8.5/10) - The abyss is out of control. Now you have one final challenge before your fate is determined, as you finally meet the beings responsible for your detour at the Thunder Portal...

Now, we can compile all of World 12 together - here it is:

SPOILERY World description (to be read after you complete the Crystal Forest finale, but can be read before entering the world):
Before time itself, there were only two forces that made up the fabric of reality: floing, and void. While the rest of the known universe erupted into existence by the holy rainbow spirits, there was a significant chunk that never fully morphed into the known reality. This is what we know today as the Thunder Portal. A destructive force of spacetime, this portal is responsible for most of the holes in Wonderland's spacetime matrix. One of those holes leads you into a higher dimension. But as Stinky will soon see, this is not the Thunder Portal's only destination...

Lv121 - Laws of Physics
Lv122 - Uncomfortable Comforts
Lv123 - Shields
Lv124 - Close Quadrants
Lv125 - Over the Rainbow
Lv126 - Cliffhanger
Lv127 - Labyrinth
Lv128 - Descent Into Anguish

Download Notes:

The texture for this level is NEW - you don't have it yet, so make sure to extract it!

If you already downloaded the main ZIP (worlds 1-11), and the rest of the World 12 levels individually, simply download Lv128 in this post, and extract the level into your WD12 folder. Extract 'low3' into your Custom Textures directory. Extract 'empty' into your Custom Backgrounds directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

If you haven't downloaded World 12 yet, download the full 'WD12' ZIP in this post. Extract the world folder to your Quest for the Five Elements directory, then extract the three 'low' folders to your Custom Textures directory. Extract 'empty' to your Custom Backgrounds directory. When the title of the world is revealed in the first level, feel free to rename the world folder to follow suit with the formatting.

OTHER CHANGES in the Main ZIP include:

- Correct renaming of Lv46 ("Locked in the Dais")
- Fixed Lv68 major bug ("Battle at Blizzard Peak")
- Added all practice levels provided in the last update (67, 83, 100, 109), except for Lv117 since they are no longer needed
- Updated World 11 to include the revised Levels 117-118

I recommend downloading the main ZIP in the first post either way to overwrite the updated levels!

Enjoy another massive cliffhanger in what is easily the most story-packed world to date!

UNTIL WORLD 13...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 128/195 levels released, WORLD 12 released)

Post by Amnon » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:12 am

Just completed level #120 (Eye of the Storm) - Great level, thanks!!!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 128/195 levels released, WORLD 12 released)

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 pm

Amnon wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:12 am
Just completed level #120 (Eye of the Storm) - Great level, thanks!!!
Excellent work - you've conquered some of the largest levels, now it's time to see what awaits you on the other side of the Thunder Portal...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:11 pm

now it's time to see what awaits you on the other side of the Thunder Portal...
No no no, I still had to do "Let 'em Loose" (#117) and that took me several more days, even the revised version - I hate that level!!!

Now soon into the Thunder Portal.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Amnon wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:11 pm
now it's time to see what awaits you on the other side of the Thunder Portal...
No no no, I still had to do "Let 'em Loose" (#117) and that took me several more days, even the revised version - I hate that level!!!

Now soon into the Thunder Portal.
Aha, I guess there is no saving that one. I never meant for it to be so frustrating. But at least it's over with - now you should get through World 12 much more quickly (save for #126). However you will realize very quickly how you must rethink your approach to the levels... So it should be a refreshing break from the Crystal Forest in terms of the level design!
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am

I would describe a good level as such that takes long to solve, but once you know what to do it does not take long to play.

Such is level 121 (Laws of Physics).

Not too difficult, I say 7.5/10, no more than 8/10.

Thanks.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:46 pm

"Uncomfortable Comforts" (#122) is a great level indeed, except for these stupid Z-bots that are just there to waste one's time.

Thanks.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Amnon wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am
I would describe a good level as such that takes long to solve, but once you know what to do it does not take long to play.
A very good assessment - one that I am continuing to acknowledge as I continue building the later levels, specifically the World 13 levels which are very tough (but mostly compact). My goal is to keep the final playtime for the remaining levels under 10 minutes, or ideally even under 5... mostly (a few levels are the exception, like #126, and of course #119 The Floodgate, but not the rule).
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:52 am

I finally made #114 (Shields), it took me several days, now I need a few days' rest...