New Level: Dry Anomaly [Glitch / Advanced]

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

New Level: Dry Anomaly [Glitch / Advanced]

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:41 pm

Warning: May cause your mind or your computer to explode.
No seriously my computer did some scary things it never did before after I was goofing around with this level, but in my defense I had two editors and players up at the same time as bandicam AND the internet AND trying to play back the video of this monstrosity I had created.

Hello everyone! I'd been playing through Muzozavr's Simple series (again), and this time I've come up with another cursed level for the cursed glitch levels collection! :D

I hope you enjoy. :twisted:

Intended Solution
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: New Level: Dry Anomaly [Glitch / Advanced]

Post by Amnon » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:17 pm

Thanks for the fun!

My computer still seems to work...
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:23 am

Ah, I take it you probably solved it the unintended / more straightforward way?

Reuploaded... :P

Edit: OK actually reuploaded. :roll:

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:39 am

Well the first version was easy, just the usual glitch that we all know about.

But now with the new version, I still haven't made it and maybe I never will, but are you aware that this is no longer just a glitch but the whole game is broken, where a particular sequence causes new trampolines to appear in the room?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:54 pm

I wasn't sure how to actually execute that one, but MNIK knew about it and told me it might be possible with this level. Good to know it is. :D

But yes, the game is certainly busted as all heck in this level. If you want a rather amusing hint:
Spoiler wrote:Instead of turning everything else into a trampoline, why not try turning the trampoline into something else?
Hope you're enjoying yourself, over there; don't worry, I'm aware how preposterous and not-obvious the "solution" to this one is... it's just a playground :lol:

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:44 pm

Alrighty~ I've gone ahead and posted my video solution in the original post. :)

Technically you can do this a second way:
Spoiler wrote:Instead of blocking the left-moving box with another box, and getting said box stuck, you can instead stop the left-moving box while its moving by sacrificing another box, by pushing it onto the spring and crashing it into the glitched teleporter-ified empty tile. This requires a bit of timing, as you should still have the glitched-teleporter-tiles on the same y axis as the transporter, but the wooden box will float off one tile to the left, allowing you to save that particular box.
I believe I also found a way to do this that would actually save you a box if only the blasted things wouldn't fly off infinitely to the right instead of the intended number of tiles. (For what it's worth, the intended amount being exactly right is nothing short of a miracle. xD)

Let me know if this helps at all; I tried my best to figure out how you god glitched trampoline-ified tiles all over the place. If it was by doing the same method as what I did, then it's possible this glitch is so absurdly broken that it... just works differently, perhaps due to game settings, prior level loads, or heck even the computer. Hoping it's not that extreme; but do let me know, Amnon. :stinkyred:

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:59 am

Very nice solution, Jutomi - I wasn't anywhere close.

As to creating new trampolines, push a box to the right over a dead square, so the conveyor returns it leftward (get quickly out of the way of course). Do so 16 times or so and a new trampoline is created.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:21 pm

...WHAT. THE. HAY. IS. HAPPENING. HERE?!?!?!

No, seriously, can someone explain, because I am *SO* confused about what's going on!!! Neat to see a level taking advantage of a weird glitch like this, but I literally do not understand what is happening...! That is *NOT* how transporters are supposed to work...!

Edit: Upon further observation... The transporter is being dupilcated?! Would still love an explanation for what exactly is happening and why, but I *THINK* I sort of understand it now... This game is totally broken, apparently. Wow.
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 am

It's significantly worse in Drier Anomaly. But I can... *Try* to explain my findings, regarding this whole glitch pentology (excluding the dumb kaboom! one lol)

Warning: This is very technical, and I'm not 100% certain on everything, and it's quite spoilery if you haven't managed to figure out all of the other levels for yourself yet still intend to. :P (although, even knowing the glitch, solving the level is still a different matter ;p)

So, transporters behave a little bit... odd, when something breaks into them while they are being occupied. I think trampolines are the most consistent way to make this happen; not sure about ice or conveyorbelts, although I know they can lead to some simpler bugs (like a box being pushed onto an empty tile).

The glitch mainly applies when an object collides with another object (usually via trampoline), generally as said other object is in transition with the transporter. An object falling on an idle object on a transporter will just move the transporter one space in the direction of the moving object colliding with everything else. An object falling on a stinker in most cases will just kill the stinker (and the object). The same is true with an object moving onto or off of a transporter as it is happening.

The case is different if the objects are using the transporter, or if a stinker is pushing something off a transporter. The latter is actually pretty straightforward, and is what's used in Muzozavr's Simple series levels (well, the ones using this transporter glitch anyway). Basically, the game freaks out, and creates a "glitched transporter", which will carry the stinker (which was just stepping onto it, to get the box/object off of it) straight in the same direction the stinker was moving until the stinker hits the edge of the level. They can move just fine to the left or right, but cannot move up. In fact, no stinker may walk on any tiles that this glitch transporter has passed through, as it creates other glitched transporter metatiles - which boxes can be pushed on, and the game treats the object as if it's gliding on a transporter until it hits a normal tile or its path is blocked by another box. I call the difference between these "active" and "inactive" glitched transporter tiles.

Now note, the rest of this I'm a bit less certain on.

The other way is to collide an object while the transporter is in use. The transporter may be moving in any direction; however, stinkers may not be moving into the colliding object's destination tile. This actually does the same thing as the other method, but the stinker doesn't get carried to the edge of the level - because the stinker is not already on the active glitched transporter.

You can then move objects onto either the active or inactive glitched transporters. Moving one onto an active glitched transporter will basically carry it to the end of the level (although, as this level shows, conveyorbelts can alter their direction - but only once? It's definitely weird) or until the object hits another object (i.e. box; watch out, they crush stinkers and phase through enemies!). However, you may also move these metatiles a little bit; inactive glitch tiles affect the active one, and actually move it (I believe), creating more inactive ones where it used to be. If you do this while an object is currently using it (including a stinker), the object will actually stop moving. Er, possibly; I haven't tried doing this in the same direction as the moving object, but for all other directions it basically moves the active transporter tile to the collision direction, effectively shoving the other object onto it. This does seem to create two metadata tiles if you're doing this perpendicular to the moving transporter's direction... I think it's the game basically thinking the transporter is kinda in between all of those tiles for a brief moment. But yeah, definitely glitchy. xD

The glitch gets worse - somehow. As Amnon thankfully showed, if you use (i.e. push a box over) an inactive glitch tile 32 times, then it will become a trampoline. Why? Uh. That's in God's hands.

Then there's the effects of this when multiple transporters are present. (See the sequels: Brick Buster, Moist Anomaly). Basically, the first loaded transporter (i.e. uppermost then leftmost) is dually affected by the transporter glitch - on any other transporter, in fact. I believe this basically becomes the new "active glitch transporter" - however, the other transporter still leaves behind several sad glitch metatiles.

What's interesting is, because this new transporter is centered, it actually works a lot more normally than other glitched transporters; in fact, it's basically a normal transporter - once you get onto it. However, before you can, you must walk onto where the transporter used to be, and then proceed to move one tile in any direction other than where the "effective glitched transporter" is currently located. Moving backwards, you'll be able to just walk back onto the transporter, and life goes on (although, I believe you do convert the tile ahead of it into being usable; more on that in a moment). Moving perpendicular, however, moves the transporter with you - and then you can walk onto the transporter from your new floating tile.

This does two things. 1) It leaves behind a new inactive glitch transporter metatile (note that stinkers can't really transport into this), and 2) it converts not just the tile ahead of where it used t obe (as moving backwards would), but also the tile the transporter is currently on, into either empty, water, or lava tiles - whatever the type of transporter it is, really. This allows you to basically turn floors, walls, teleporters, transporters, and, yes, even inactive glitched metatiles into normal water/lava/empty tiles that the "effective" glitched transporter (and any other transporter) can then proceed to utilize.

However, you can go one step further. What happens if you use an inactive glitched metatile while the effective glitched transporter is being used? Well, several things may happen. 1) You may repeat the above glitch as many times as you like, using this method. 2) If you time it just right, you actually can pull off effectively the same glitch as pushing an object off a transporter as something's about to collide/move it; i.e. you go flying off to the edge of the level. I believe however this requires you to have perfect timing (which can be done remarkably easily if you set it up properly). 3) You may use it and end up one tile ahead of where you normally would've gone, effectively letting you phase a single wall or gate. And 4) If you move the transporter after it begins moving (i.e. after the collision), then you can effectively use the transporter as if no glitch took place; however, a) it'll appear to be pushed in the direction it was heading before you moved, and b) it'll leave behind an inactive glitched metatile, but not where you were standing - instead, where the transporter was going to go before you decided to move it.

Final thoughts: I'm not sure how much more you can break the game with this - it's possible. I haven't tried turning a trampoline-ified tile back into another trampoline-ified tile, etc. However, I will leave you off with this: I have stuck Stinky inside of Peegue using this glitch (using three transporters), and actually managed to get Stinky to pass through Peegue onto the other side. It's definitely a bit quirky... and I'm still not entirely sure how effective glitched transporters and regular transporters work together with glitched metatiles and normal / transformed tiles. But suffice it to say I think I have a bit of a handle on this wild beast. :P