Small World II - The levels

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Small World II - The levels

Post by mette » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi all,

The levels for the Small World II contest are here :D :shock: :lol:
Every forumite will have the right to play and judge the levels. If a person chooses to give points to one level the person must also give points to all the other levels. People not giving points to all the levels will not be counted in the final result. Points must be send by PM or e-mail (mette@nutters.dk) to me no later than October 30th 2005 at 11.59 PM GMT. I will then add up the scores and post a list of total points, levels and forum names.

How to award points?
Give points from 0-10 to each level (giving each level a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 10 points) according to these criteria:

(a) compactness (remember, "Small World"!),
How effective was the use of space? How many puzzles/challenges/etc were the creator able to pack into the level?

(b) inventiveness,
Did the creator come up with new ideas to create puzzles or action challenges? Clever little ideas? New ways to combine gameplay elements?

(c) fun.
The most important part, is it fun to play? Note that level difficulty is not a factor. Both very easy and very hard levels can be a lot of fun to play - and that's the most important part.

The Prizes:
A free Midnight Synergy game to the top three entries and the honuor of being the winner and maybe some honourary title?

TO THE LEVELMAKERS - PLEASE NOTE:
All the levels have been posted anonymously to remove any bias when giving out points. For that reason: Please don't tell anyone which level you made.

Only one thing left to say: Play nice, be fair and HAVE FUN :lol: :D :lol: :D

Mette
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
\Mette
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Post by Bearsland » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:25 pm

There goes my early night. :D :D :D

Just curious, Mette. What are you going to do when the "I need a spoiler" and "I can't do this and need help" posts come in? In the first competition, it didn't take long to find out who made what because the designers were posting spoilers, or, "I meant it to be done like this..." replies.

Bear 8)
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:35 am

:shock: :D 8) :twisted: :!:
Just had a peek before I go to work.......
jg
Duiveltje
Rainbow Master

Post by Duiveltje » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:20 am

I don't know if 14 days is enough. :lol: :lol:

Because I tried some and they are hard :oops: :oops:
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:17 am

I have to agree with Rosie, but I guess it will just mean that I will have no social life (or time for walking dogs) for the next couple of weeks. Have done 2 so far and have started on a couple of others :oops: What a great challenge :shock: :D
ImageSuperterv, Founder of the *K9 Carers*,
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:46 am

Bearsland wrote: Just curious, Mette. What are you going to do when the "I need a spoiler" and "I can't do this and need help" posts come in? In the first competition, it didn't take long to find out who made what because the designers were posting spoilers, or, "I meant it to be done like this..." replies.
Bear 8)
I hadn't really given that much thought :oops: but it's a good point. Why don't we say that everybody can post spoilers on all the levels without saying if it's their own. Something like:
I did it this way:
possible spoiler wrote:the spoiler
and avoid frases like "I intended it to be done like this....". And also maybe wait a little before giving a spoiler to one's own level.

Mette
\Mette
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:33 pm

:D :D :D I've got ten of these done now on to the hard ones. And that sounds like a plan Mette to post spoilers in that manner. :D :D :D
Keeks
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Wow you are doing really well Keeks :!: :shock: I'm nowhere near that total. I'm still on the so called *easy* ones I guess. :? Some look IMPOSSIBLE to me I have to admit. :oops: :oops: Have you noticed - the board has gone QUIET :D
TASHA
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TASHA » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:06 pm

You're so right Super T. I hadn't seen Mette's post because I'd been away for 2 days & wondered why there were no new levels posted. Now I know why :?: :?: :?:

The only thing I have a problem with is that you can only truly score on those levels which you actually complete. Therefore, for example, if you can only complete say 10, do you score 0 on the rest (those being the ones you can't complete) :?: :?: If this is not the case, then only those with the ultimate "brain power" will complete all the levels & for the rest of us our scoring will be meaningless. Unless, of course, we ask for spoilers then score after a reply is received & we then complete the level.

I know I'm rambling, but this is just a thought.
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:40 pm

My fingers have grown weary and I have to stop for today (getting killed needlessly :oops: :oops: :oops: ). This is such fun. Thank you to all who took the time and the effort to make these wonderful levels for us.
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Post by Bearsland » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:57 pm

TASHA wrote:I know I'm rambling, but this is just a thought.
You're not rambling, Tasha; I think we all know what you mean, but the contest is about Compactness, Inventiveness and Fun. You can still score a level on those attributes whether you can finish it or not.

I think it would be terribly unfair for any designer to lose marks on the grounds that their level may be too hard for some to complete.
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:03 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: You finished yet Bear :?: :?: :?: (No offence meant Bear its just you are such a wizard at completing difficult and dangerous levels which I can't do). I'm brain dead, but will mark all levels on an equal scale - once I work out what that will be. :oops: :oops: :oops: I love all the levels, they show just how inventive and creative our forum can be when challenged. Playing these is also called HARD WORK. Now I'm off to rest.
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:39 pm

Shorty just suggested that the creators can PM their spoilers to me and then I can post them. Then noone will know who wrote the spoilers. That's fine by me, but ultimately it's up to the individual creator which method to use.

I agree that it would be unfair to give a level 0 points on the basis that you (I mean anyone :wink: ) can't complete it. Ask for a spoiler and/or score the level on compactness, inventivness and fun :lol:

Mette
\Mette
drushing
Rainbow AllStar

Post by drushing » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:03 pm

I just wanted to say excellent levels! I have looked at them all but have only completed 8 so far! I am amazed at how everyone is different than the other but still so challenging! So cool. Having lots of fun trying to figure them all out! Not asking for spoilers yet!! :D :D

Donna
TASHA
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TASHA » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:29 pm

Thanks all for responding. Will do what is suggested. These are all truly terrific levels & I will surely give them my best efforts. Every one is so different & very challenging. Thanks to everyone who created these MASTERPIECES :!: :!: Very well done.
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Post by Bearsland » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:34 am

drushing wrote:Not asking for spoilers yet!!
Glad to hear it, Donna.:wink: :wink:

I think it would be nice to give everyone a couple of days trying to do these on their own before asking for hints.

That said, a couple of these are really, really difficult and I can see some people struggling, (especially new players), even with spoilers. I think a couple of the competitors got a bit carried away and forgot that this is supposed to be a fun competition. It'll be interesting to see which levels get the most cries for help, (I can guess a couple... :? :? :? ).

Bear 8)

btw. Found this interesting (see screenie)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty
Rainbow Star

Post by Shorty » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:25 am

Bear,

Usually custom's get downloaded less than the levels... Not everyone wants to see the models but I for one downloaded the model and it was worth it!
LoVe YaLL BuNcHeS!
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Post by Bearsland » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:00 pm

Shorty wrote:Bear,

Usually custom's get downloaded less than the levels... Not everyone wants to see the models but I for one downloaded the model and it was worth it!
Totally agree, Kym; it is worth it. In fact, it makes the level 'come alive' if you know what I mean.

I wasn't aware about the models not being downloaded as much as the levels, so thanks for that. :D :D Don't you think that's a shame?? I've seen some of you guys, (Jeff, Popo, JG and you, Kym and others, of course) put a lot of work into their models and it's a shame people are missing out on them.

I actually only noticed it on this occasion with this being the competition.

Bear 8)

Look at the screenie to see what you are missing, folks. It's wonderful!!! :P :P :P :P
bordeaux
Rainbow Master

Post by bordeaux » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:36 pm

I know I am missing alot but I cannot get custom models/houses to work. I have used the tutorial in general discussion. I have had people pm me with help but still no luck. So I guess I must live without them. :lol:
Liz Mayhew
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by Liz Mayhew » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:39 pm

I agree - the models are fab! Not hard to guess who made this level! :wink: :D

It would be interesting to see if people can guess who made which level. I'm certain of the model level, and a few others I'm pretty sure about, but some I have no clue who made them.

I've completed 12 so far. I know how to do one other, but it's the doing of it :x :evil: :x . The rest have got me baffled, but I'm going to keep trying for a bit.
Lizzie

To err is human,
To arr is pirate!
Lillian
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Lillian » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:40 pm

WOW! There are some really good levels in here - well done everybody :D :D :D

I "dared" to have a social life outside Wonderland this weekend - and now I feel all behind. These levels are going to take me forever to complete. I only have until Sunday before we go to Egypt - better get cracking :shock: :? :roll: :lol:
Lillie
Jacks13
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Jacks13 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:59 pm

I didn't think that spoilers were available on any custom levels. I have struggled in the past and asked for help, to no avail. Good luck with the competition all level makers. (Some of which I can guess the creator, because I still can't do them!) I have completed one so far. Guess I don't have what it takes to be a Wonderlander!!!! :cry:
Lillian
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Lillian » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:04 pm

Jacks13 wrote:I have struggled in the past and asked for help, to no avail.
There is always help available on Custom Levels - I find it hard to believe that no-one came to your rescue! Sorry if it was one of my levels :oops:
Jacks13 wrote:Guess I don't have what it takes to be a Wonderlander!!!!
Don't be such a silly sausage - of course you do! You already ARE a Wonderlander! Have you introduced yourself on the "Meet and Greet" part of the Forum yet?

Welcome anyway Jacks - if you need help please just ask :D
Lillie
Bearsland
Rainbow Master

Post by Bearsland » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:47 pm

Jacks13 wrote:I didn't think that spoilers were available on any custom levels. I have struggled in the past and asked for help, to no avail.
As Lil said, spoilers, hints and tips can be got for any level. I think you just got unlucky on the (one :wink: ) occasion you asked.
Good luck with the competition all level makers. (Some of which I can guess the creator, because I still can't do them!) I have completed one so far.
Don't get downhearted, Jacks; some of these levels are very advanced and very difficult, (even the best players here may struggle); just keep trying, you'll get there.
Guess I don't have what it takes to be a Wonderlander!!!! :cry:
Nonsense!!!! You became a Wonderlander the minute you first bought the game(s). You became a 'true' Wonderlander the minute you signed up to join us here on the forum. It's good to have you here. :D :D

Bear 8)
jcvalcar2
Rainbow MegaStar

Small World

Post by jcvalcar2 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:51 pm

I too want to express my appreciation for all the hard work that has gone into each of the levels. You all have done a wonderful job. I can see I have my work cut out for me trying to get thru these. :? Thank you and give yourselves a big pat on the back. :D :D :D

and thanks Mette for putting this together for us. Good luck all.
Cathy
ohbehave
Rainbow Star

comp levels

Post by ohbehave » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:41 pm

yes, alot of the comp levels are extremely difficult..i have only completed 5 of them so far, so i guess im the dum dum..it is fun trying to guess who did some of them..

alot of work has gone into making all these levels, and yes, thanks to everyone who has participated in this..they are great..

i have to agree with bear and shorty..its a darn shame that more people cant enjoy the models..i for one, have quit making so many levels with models and stuff, cause alot of work goes into to them, and when alot of people dont download them, it makes you not want to do them any more..

and yes, a big thanks to mette for putting this great competition together..its alot of fun.. well, back to trying some more of the levels.. :wink:
~♥Sizzlin Summer Babe!!..♥~
kaz67
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by kaz67 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16 pm

These are tough little nuts for us nutters to crack ... I've done a whopping SIX so far ... they are great, thanks everyone :D

Kazza :) :)
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:42 pm

You are all right - the levels are Wonderlandful and they're very difficult.

I could tell you how many I haven't done, but then you'd figure out how few I have done

so I ain't saying nuffink :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm having fun trying, though. Trouble is, I'll still be trying long after
the competition is over, the prizes awarded, the accolades given,
and every one's gone home.
There'll still be this one lonely little candle, flickering in the shadows behind the curtain,
as the little old lady (wearing purple) is heard to mutter,
"It's got to be possible, the others did it,

Oh, **&#@@%**, I'm going to bed". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:09 am

:D :D :D I've got 13 done, But some of these are toughies, I will go forward on through to the other side of the end.
I'm am having a blast with all these great levels and I'm so curios as to who the authors are, I can pick out a couple. :D :D :D
Keeks
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:39 am

Hey, Mette! So many people seem to know who created some of these levels, I think we should have a folow up contest: Guess the Maker.

Whoever guesses the most names correctly gets a big "congratulations!" And many the grand title of "Maker Knower" Well... that's a dumb title. But something.
Loirae