Shop for rent.

Custom 3d models, houses, etc. for Return To Wonderland.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Shop for rent.

Post by popo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:19 pm

Here is my first custom house, well it's actually a shop (General Store)

I hope someone makes use of it.

I got the skin off the Internet and pasted it onto the template (I'm problably breaking copyright laws :roll: ) It only had one side to it so it's got a door on both sides but if you put it up against a wall it should look ok.

I've made it 'house1' but if you want to replace a different house you can change the name.

I hope this works. :D

EDIT.
Now update to include the folder. Just unzip to CustomHouses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by popo on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:52 pm

This is what it should look like if you download it ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauline
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:58 pm

Hi popo

Hope I catch you.

Does the sub folder in the custom houses folder have to have the same name as the house? I mean if I create a folder named jg58201 in my custom houses folder, can I put 10 different houses in it, or does each house have to have its own folder?

Did that make sense?

jg

I am trying to re post the level Starhouse over under New Level- Advanced....try it out for me will you?

Thanks.

Never mind I think I figured it out. I can have one folder named jg58201, but can only have 4 houses in it. And they have to be called house1, house2, house3, and house4. So the editor knows which one I want to use.
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:26 pm

Hi Popo,
I downloaded your store and unzipped it to a folder named POPOH1GEST. It unzipped as msdos file. Do I redesignate the msdos file to a jpeg file?
SharonM
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:30 pm

Er, I'll have to download it and see what's up. :?
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:34 pm

It unzipped as a .jpg when I did it. What Windows are you running?
Pauline
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:51 pm

98SE I shouldn't be having this problem. I hope I can find a solution, I really would like to see and use custom houses. I picked up Patrick's test house fine. The cars too after I corrected a mistake I made.
SharonM
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:52 pm

it seems that you have to do a lot of stuff to share and create tjhpse 3d models...

:? :? well, everything has it's dark side :)
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:16 pm

I just went to download it again and it showed up as an existing .jpg file. Maybe I'm going crazy! :lol:
SharonM
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Where's the .lev

Post by Ramonda » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:23 pm

Popo, I have downloaded what you have here but I can't find the .lev file either here or in deluxe levels. I've looked quite a few times. Could you link me to it? Thanks.
malcdelsol
Rainbow Master

Post by malcdelsol » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:38 am

Hi Ramonda,

I don't think there is an actual level to play using this 'General Store'.

popo put it up here for someone to create a level with it if they wished :lol:

I have downloaded it and unzipped it to a sub-directory POPOH1GEST.

It is already called 'house1' and works fine as I created a test level using it - nice Store popo :lol: :lol:

It is possible that many of you will need to rename the file to add the extension .jpg so that your computer recognises it - see yesterdays' discussion regarding this matter on the Starhouse level thread.

I'm sure popo will correct me if I am wrong. :wink:

Malcdelsol :roll:
(Lord & husband of Lady IDJIT)
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:42 am

Oh, don't ask me. :?

I know how to work my computer but anyone else's..... :?:

On my computer (XP) the extensions are hidden but they are there. I thought everyone's computer would sort it out according to their settings. That's how it should work, I think. :roll:

There is no level for this. It's just the custom house. That's why I put it in Custom Content not Custom Levels. I thought maybe someone could use it in a level.

It is called 'house1' so it will replace house 1 in the editor, if you want to replace a different house you will have to change the name accordingly, and don't forget to use the same number object icon.
Pauline
sfseaman
Rainbow Master

Post by sfseaman » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:23 pm

Nice shop! I also like that the front door is on the long side, which makes it different than the other buildings. This will make for some nice visual diversity in levels.

Ok -- I'll take a shot at answering some of the questions above. Be forwarned, I haven't done a custom house myself, but my wife always says I'm at my best, and sound most confident when I don't know what I'm talking about.

jg -- it is my understanding that each directory can have up to four houses in it house1, house2, house3, house 4. Any level can be told to get its houses from a directory, and if it finds the corresponding house number in that directory it will use it, otherwise it will use the default house for that house number

SharonM -- The zip file should create a file named house1.jpg If you have extensions hidden (this is the default) AND you have used jpg files it may only show up as house1. If you are unsure about this you can always go into options and change it so extensions are not hidden. I believe that if you have extensions hidden and start to rename a file, the current name with extension will show up (I'm not sure about this as I don't have extensions hidden so someone else correct me if I'm wrong about this). There should not be a need to rename the file whether you hide extensions or not as long as the jpg file is already named house1, etc which is the case here. I'm not sure why else it would be showing up as a DOS file for you unless you have not used jpg files before so your computer does not know the file type. From your message, I don't think this is the case. Even if someone's computer does not recognize the file type, it still should play ok

If you are still having problems maybe you could give more information about what is happening and we can try to keep figuring it out.

Steve

PLEASE NOTE

I was wrong above when I indicated that you can see the file extension by renaming the file. You can only see the extension by turning of the option that hides extensions for known file types. Sorry if I've misled anyone.
Last edited by sfseaman on Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info Steve. You put it so much better than I could. You should be a teacher. :D

I've made a barn now, (see relevant post) and that's got a door on the side as well.
Pauline
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:45 pm

Thanks Malc. Indeed, there will be many different ways to add to the creations. Nice shop and nice barn Popo. Thanks to JG we now have your shop in use and both custom buildings should be adding nicely to future games.

I like what Janet is doing as she creates. She puts in the custom house folder along with the level even if the house is already in this forum. Doing that guarantees us to have the right folders in the event someone misses finding it in here as the number of posts increase.
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:54 am

Thanks Seaman. I do have .jpg files on my computer, I just couldn't figure out why it showed up as a DOS file. When I went back to look at it again, it had change to a .jpg. Not sure what's going on, but it's working for now.
SharonM