WA1 Foggy Peak/Blue Shard Puzzle

Questions and solutions for Wonderland Adventures, Mysteries of Fire Island, and Planet of the Z-Bots.
Post Reply
User avatar
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

WA1 Foggy Peak/Blue Shard Puzzle

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:52 am

Ok, so I got up to Foggy Mountain, talked to the forgetful Stinker, and went to get the code for the door to get the blue shard.
No, I do NOT want to be told the code, I want to figure it out from the clues.
Each adventure after "Learning to Brr" give you one clue.
I completed all the adventures and got a total of 6 clues in this order: (spoiler-protected: drag mouse over to view)

1 Remember to use each colour once
2 Don't forget that orange comes right after yellow.
3 Note to self: purple does not precede green.
4 Don't forget: yellow is equally distant from green and blue
5 Don't forget to push green before pushing indigo
6 Green is two spots before yellow

Therefore it must look something like:
R G _ Y O B _
or
G _ Y O B R _
or
G _ _ Y O _ B
But with these clues, there are still about 20-30 solutions. What am I doing wrong? Did I miss a clue?
garirry
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by garirry » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:28 am

Pay attention to #6. The last possibility you provided is the only solution that works, as it is the only one where Green is two squares before Yellow. Try with only that in mind.
User avatar
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:46 am

In the last example, Green is actually 3 before Yellow, with two blank spaces in between, but if you say that's correct, I'll roll with it.

There are still several combinations to work through. Are there really no other clues that will narrow it down to just one possibility?
garirry
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by garirry » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:02 am

cloudrac3r wrote:In the last example, Green is actually 3 before Yellow, with two blank spaces in between, but if you say that's correct, I'll roll with it.

There are still several combinations to work through. Are there really no other clues that will narrow it down to just one possibility?
No, there are no more clues. I actually remember solving this myself, I believe there was some trial-and-error in doing that.
User avatar
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Post by Kilicool64 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:26 am

The clues are enough to narrow it down to a small amount of possible combinations, definitely less than 20-30. You're then supposed to find the right one through trial and error.

Also, after stepping onto a button, always wait for a second, then take a step either up or down. Don't push all the buttons at once, don't step on any twice, and don't wait too long on them either. IIRC, some mechanism will keep the gate locked permanently if you move incorrectly.

Finally, after entering the right combination, it can still take a few seconds for the gate to react, so don't restart if it doesn't open immediately.
User avatar
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

Post by Wonderland King » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:28 am

I'm pretty sure you end up narrowing it down to only 2.
User avatar
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:53 am

Kilicool64 wrote:Also, after stepping onto a button, always wait for a second, then take a step either up or down. Don't push all the buttons at once, don't step on any twice, and don't wait too long on them either. IIRC, some mechanism will keep the gate locked permanently if you move incorrectly.

Finally, after entering the right combination, it can still take a few seconds for the gate to react, so don't restart if it doesn't open immediately.
Aha, that'll be why it didn't work then, thanks! :D
I wonder how they did the locking mechanism, whether it was hard-coded as a combination lock or if they used turtles, gates, spikeyballs and stuff to actually build a lock using the normal level components. Hmm...
User avatar
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

Post by Wonderland King » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:00 am

It was definitely the latter. And IIRC, if you use the Spy-Eye to go north in the level, you can hear some parts of the mechanism.
User avatar
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:12 pm

I got the blue shard, thanks so much for your help!!
Yes, if you use the Spy-Eye to look north, you can hear a Fire Flower.
I wonder if there's any way to have a look at the lock, I'm pretty curious now...!
garirry
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by garirry » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:25 pm

cloudrac3r wrote:I got the blue shard, thanks so much for your help!!
Yes, if you use the Spy-Eye to look north, you can hear a Fire Flower.
I wonder if there's any way to have a look at the lock, I'm pretty curious now...!
I think there may be a way to hack the level into the level editor, but I'm not sure.
Caton
Rainbow Master
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Post by Caton » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:28 pm

garirry wrote: I think there may be a way to hack the level into the level editor, but I'm not sure.
there is.
just add the adjustments strings into the wlv wa1 game file.
I'm guessing fire flower must be used to destroy something for the color code to work right or if color code is wrong.

ms should have added mute sound for objects.
User avatar
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 pm

A discussion of various techniques for doing this sort of mechanism, including a .wa2 copy of the original with (IIRC) the mechanism revealed, is in this (old) topic: http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18851
Caton
Rainbow Master
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Post by Caton » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 pm

so how come he didn't make a program to change format wa1 back to wa2?
garirry
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by garirry » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 am

Caton wrote:so how come he didn't make a program to change format wa1 back to wa2?
Why would he need to make such program?
User avatar
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks for all of your replies, that was really helpful! Looking at the lock was interesting too. Time to move on to Forever Forest, see ya!
Post Reply