Level Texture Pack - Qloof's MoFI Redux (IMAGE HEAVY THREAD)

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Level Texture Pack - Qloof's MoFI Redux (IMAGE HEAVY THREAD)

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:10 pm

Wonderland Adventures: Mysteries of Fire Island - Redux Texture Pack

NOTE: Some of these pictures include spoilers for MoFI. If you have not beaten the game, beware!
This is a project I've been thinking of doing for a long time now. A bit of backstory:

WA2/MoFI probably gets my vote for "best visual design" in any of the Wonderland games. Not just the level designs - the level textures are gorgeous, too. However, one thing that's always irked me, to be honest - While MoFI's level textures are quite pretty, a lot of them don't tile properly (you can see the "seams" on tiles more easily than with WA1's textures). Part of this appears to be due to the WA graphics engine itself, but part of it is also due to MoFI's more detailed texture design.

After mulling it over for a while, I decided I'd go ahead and fix that myself - and maybe give the game a bit of a visual overhaul while I was at it.

This is the end result - MoFI Redux.

Some of the alterations (particularly the beach texture) are relatively minor - textures have been made seamless, but other than that not much is different (some textures might be a bit more colourful or some such).

Others, however, have been altered quite significantly from their originals, such as Wonderfalls (which is probably my favourite locale in the series).

There are THREE versions of this texture pack available for download.

There is a version for MoFI itself, and two versions for the WA/MoFI Editor.

The MoFI version is quite simply, a set of these textures with the appropriate .wdf filenames that can be installed on MoFI itself. The .ZIP file includes a backup of the original MoFI level-textures, in case you wish to switch back.

The first Editor version replaces the original, ported textures from MoFI to the WA Editor (beach/desert/jungle/redcave/tundras/volcano/wonderfalls).

The second Editor version does not replace the originals, but adds the redone textures separately, with "_alt" added to the end of the filename (e.g. beach_alt, wonderfalls_alt, etc.).

NOTE: Some of these textures add new tiles to the mix - The volcano/acid pools texture adds four "water" textures, and two "cave entrance" textures, for instance. If you use these in custom adventures, they will show up as black tiles for anyone using the original set. Keep this in mind if you use them.

Comparisons (Note - This doesn't include the "volcano" texture that's used in some caves, as there's no place on the Hub that uses this. The texture used in the Volcano and the Acid Pools is included, however. Also, some of these pictures include minor oversights that have been fixed since, such as the arbitrary shadow on one of the jungle textures):

Beach

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Jungle

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Jungle Temple

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Tundras/Sundog Island

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Volcano/Acid Pools

BEFORE (no before picture for the volcano proper, I forgot, sorry):

AFTER:

Wonderfalls

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Qloof234 wrote:Red Cave/Cave 2

BEFORE:

AFTER:

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

MoFI Version: Click Here
Editor Version 1: Click Here
Editor Version 2: Click Here

I claim no credit for the original textures used in Mysteries of Fire Island. All that I did here was edit the textures - I'm not claiming this as my own, 100% original work.

I'm open to constructive criticism, if anyone has any, by the way. 8) I hope you all like these!

(I may or may not do something similar for WA1 at some point, but if I do, it might very well be Editor-only, considering that WA1's textures are very differently organized to the Editor's/MoFI's)

EDIT: 31/08/2013, 1:45PM - Added Red-Cave comparison images
EDIT: 07/09/2013 - Updated Jungle Transition tiles, not yet uploaded (Fixed dumb typo in post as well)
EDIT: 10/09/2013 - Jungle Transition tiles updated - can be downloaded via above links
Last edited by Qloof234 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:26 pm

(I have already been pre-spoiled)

I don't know if it's just me but have you also recolored them? I enjoy the retilings but they look like pastel recolors and that irks me. Is it just a glitch of my perception or have they been recolored?

Some of them do look really nice and an "alt" set is always a good thing for the community. :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:36 pm

Muzozavr wrote:I don't know if it's just me but have you also recolored them? I enjoy the retilings but they look like pastel recolors and that irks me. Is it just a glitch of my perception or have they been recolored?
I've added a bit more colour to some of them, yeah. The beach is more or less the same, the rest have had some colour editing for sure.

Off the top of my head (other than Wonderfalls of course)...

- The "Style 1" floor in the jungle is now more of a dirt-brown colour instead of dark-green
- The Jungle Temple bricks (in the Jungle texture as well) are a bit more of a "light brown" colour than the yellow-orange-ish they were before
- The "Carpet" tiles in the Jungle Temple are grey-ish brown instead of orange
- The "wood planks" textures in each set are now consistent design-wise and a bit more saturated
- The "rough" floor on Sundog Island is a bit greyer than the original
- The Acid Pools tiles are darker
- The "rough" floor (style 2) in the Volcano is orange-brown instead of red

I was trying to avoid making some of them over-saturated, hence why it's a bit closer to a "pastel" look.
Muzozavr wrote:Some of them do look really nice and an "alt" set is always a good thing for the community. :wink:
Thank you! :D Does anything big jump out at you that you think I should take another look at?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 pm

DP

Red Cave/Cave 2

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:55 pm

Does anything big jump out at you that you think I should take another look at?
The "green-to-dirt-brown" recolor in the jungle. In the browner screenshot near the stone gates it works well. In the greener area... not so much.

Other than that, no. The pastel look is a fine alternative, it's just that I'm really not used to it so it weirds me out. Had it been that way from the start I would've been used to it.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:19 pm

UPDATE:

Made the "main" floor style in the jungle a bit closer to the original green (while still a bit more "dirt-coloured"), so the transition isn't as jarring. Does this look better?

(also fixed the stray shadow on the brick-to-jungle transition tile for good)

(haven't uploaded this fix yet, in case it needs a bit more work on it)
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Wow. This is really nice! :mrgreen:
no
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:03 pm

I say YES! to seamlessness and NO! to recolouring.
Do you have the original coloured versions anywhere?

If you don't, then I've just been inspired to make my own one.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:07 pm

I haven't made a seamless version with the original colours, but it wouldn't be hard to do so.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I haven't made a seamless version with the original colours, but it wouldn't be hard to do so.
Oh, really? That would be really nice to have one - I hate to see those awful grid when I visit the Sundog Island...

What software are you using?
by Giuseppe Verdi
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:12 pm

GIMP 2.8. It actually has a "Seamless" filter, so making most tiles seamless wasn't too hard (still had some manual touch-ups to do here and there).
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:48 pm

I think an extra problem is that WA's in-game tile size is different than the leveltexture's, so they get stretched and therefore get ugly. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah, that's one thing I can't do anything about. Even without that, though, MoFI's textures tend to tile quite visibly.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:37 am

Bump.

I've updated the jungle texture - The "default" ground tile (which was a dirt-brown in the original release) is a bit closer to its original colouring, to make the transition from grass to "dirt" less jarring. You can download this update through the original links, it'll have the newer version.

I'm going to actually start working on a version with colours a bit closer to the original textures' sometime soon, while keeping the tiling changes/enhancements.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I'm going to actually start working on a version with colours a bit closer to the original textures
Why only a bit? Cannot you keep them just as they are? You'd have less work to do.
by Giuseppe Verdi
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:34 pm

I've already got the re-tiled, re-coloured set. Between changing the colours back to the original and re-editing the original itself, it shouldn't take too long.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 am

Bumping this back up again.

Work on the un-re-coloured MoFI Textures is kinda going slowly. Partially because school, and partially because I'm lazy.

Having said that, I decided to do something somewhat similar for WA1 - The textures in it don't have tiling issues, true, but I have been working on a bit of a rehaul for it.

Part of that is because I do prefer the more pastel colour pallet to WA1's much brighter, intense colours - I don't think they're bad, just that the pastel/less saturated colours are easier on the eyes. Another part is to make the detailing a bit more consistent between WA1/MoFI.

Keyword here is "a bit", though. I'm trying to find some sort of mid-point between the two.

Here's a preview of what Wondertown looks like (after I managed to cobble it together to work with WA1's bizarre texture layout):

I know the sewer/grate tile is miscoloured, I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. Mainly doing this because boredom.