Qloof's Custom Texture Topic (2013)

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Qloof's Custom Texture Topic (2013)

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Wow, okay, so.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm actually working on a MoFI/PoTZ hub project (testing it on MoFI for now, but it's definitely gonna be run on PoTZ) on my own. I'm reluctant to reveal any real details about it, for the simple reason that I don't want to end up disappointing people if it doesn't go through.

Having said that, even if it doesn't come to fruition (I'm in the early stages of working on it right now), I've still got some stuff to share related to it - a host of level textures I made for certain areas.

I've made five level textures for locales that are planned to be part of the hub - The Creepy Keep, another "Hills"-style texture (that's actually based off of a WIP Minecraft texture pack I'm making), a "Classic Temple Redux"-type texture, as well as standalone textures for the Wastelands and the Void.

Yes, this might sound familiar, and I'm willing to bet people will be able to guess what this project "is" from the details above. Anyways, textures. :P

With the exception of the Hills-style texture and the Classic Temple texture, these are all actually quite heavy edits based off of textures from WA/MoFI - for example, the Creepy Keep started out as an edit of the WA1 Cellar texture. Having said that, it's not as if I just opened up the textures and changed the colours around. :wink:

Saying that, the Classic Temple isn't just a copy-paste-edit of the original texture from the classic trilogy. It's designed to look very, very much like it, and I used tiles from the original for reference, but other than that it's pretty much 90% my own handiwork.

Creepy Keep

Hills/Willow Hills

Wastelands/Desert

Void

Classic Temple

All five textures are attached below. I hope people will find these useful! :D 8)

EDIT Oct. 16, 2013: Changed title, I'm going to be using this thread for any other custom textures I make from now on, I think. Added a new texture as well, details:
[...]

This started out as an edit of MoFI's red-cave texture (not the volcano one). As you can probably tell, part of my inspiration on this was seeing Pawelec's level textures (which are absolutely fantastic, btw).

Screen:

http://i.imgur.com/jg1fcuy.png
Download Link: Frozen.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 pm

What I really like are the changes you've made to the GUI. Your cursors look great!
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Man, you are a brillant graphics designer. And a huge fan of this "pastel chalk" look, right? :lol: I like this pastel-colored look, too, but you have managed to make the entire game look like this. Which is actually a good thing. I probably wouldn't want to replay "pastel MOFI" because I'm too used to the original look, but seeing new levels with such beautiful pastel colors is delightful.

I have one major problem with The Void, though. It's almost hilariously bright -- is it just your screenshot program or does it really look like that? Creepy Keep looks darker than that. Your Void is like the inside of a gigantic birthday cake. A very pretty birthday cake, but not something I'd call "The Void".

Having said that, your "classic" tileset is insanely good. :shock: Just a "jaw hits floor" moment, that screenshot is so perfect.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Man, you are a brillant graphics designer. And a huge fan of this "pastel chalk" look, right? :lol: I like this pastel-colored look, too, but you have managed to make the entire game look like this. Which is actually a good thing. I probably wouldn't want to replay "pastel MOFI" because I'm too used to the original look, but seeing new levels with such beautiful pastel colors is delightful.
Wow, thank you! :D

For the record, while I do like how it looks, the pastel pallet isn't entirely intentional - I'm trying to avoid having over-saturated textures (with like, incredibly bright reds or blues or what-not), as I'd rather not have it be too hard on the eyes.

Saying that...
Muzozavr wrote:I have one major problem with The Void, though. It's almost hilariously bright -- is it just your screenshot program or does it really look like that? Creepy Keep looks darker than that. Your Void is like the inside of a gigantic birthday cake. A very pretty birthday cake, but not something I'd call "The Void".
The Void texture is definitely brighter than the Keep's, for sure - The Keep texture is based, colour-wise, off of the original "dark castle" texture used for the Creepy Keep in the classic games. I think the reason it looks so insanely bright is because the lighting in that example level was set to be more purple - I've basically got a "design pass" adventure for my current project, where I've been experimenting with textures, tile settings, lighting, and such, and since I'm lazy I just loaded that up for example images. A lot of the colours in the texture are around the same general area in the "purple-pink" end of the colour spectrum. The brightness of individual tiles varies from brighter than the Void textures from WA itself to darker and less saturated (though it's definitely more purple than pink).

This is what the tileset looks like on its own:

Here's a comparison between the Cave-Void textures from the original and a handful of ones from my edit.

Muzozavr wrote:Having said that, your "classic" tileset is insanely good. :shock: Just a "jaw hits floor" moment, that screenshot is so perfect.
Once again, thank you! :D I can't take all the credit for that tileset, though - While it isn't just a heavily edited version of the classic equivalent, I did use the original tiles as reference. The bluish-greenish pattern on the floors in the centre is based off of one of the tile patterns from the original, for instance.

For that matter, to get the sort of "tile" grain texture/effect on them, I actually used the "Jade" floor textures as an overlay, as I found it worked quite well, so it isn't entirely my work, to be honest. :P :oops:
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:23 am

These are really impressive! :o
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 am

Wow, these are incredible. The Creepy Keep looks especially nice.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:18 am

Hmm, the tileset itself looks better than I thought, maybe it's just the purple lighting.

As for the classic tileset, it looks like an "RTW HD" version, only better. It's that good.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 am

A bit of a late response, but thank you all for the positive feedback! :D
Muzozavr wrote:As for the classic tileset, it looks like an "RTW HD" version, only better. It's that good.
Ahah, you really think so? Thank you! :oops: :D

Maybe I'll take a stab at other Classic Trilogy textures in the same vein, we'll see.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 pm

These look really cool! You're definitely the best texture designer here! :)
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Yeah, this is really good. Love that GUI!
The hills/grass texture looks really nice, keep it up! :D
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Fluffshery
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Fluffshery » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Ooh, that Creepy Keep looks convenient for my next adventure. I also really like the desert/wasteland one. You don't mind if I use them, do you?
Albert Einstein wrote:Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
My Level List
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Of course not, that's why I posted them. Go for it! :D
Fluffshery
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Fluffshery » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 am

Ok, I thought so, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks! :)
Albert Einstein wrote:Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
My Level List
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am

:shock: Those look rich. Thanks Qloof :D
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 am

Ba-dump.

I think I'm gonna use this thread for all of my custom textures from now on, to avoid cluttering up the board for each new one.

Having said that, here's another one (which, once again, is going to be used for HR): A sort of frozen caves-type texture.

This started out as an edit of MoFI's red-cave texture (not the volcano one). As you can probably tell, part of my inspiration on this was seeing Pawelec's level textures (which are absolutely fantastic, btw).

Screen:

Download attached. I don't know if there's another texture using "frozen" as its name, if there is, someone please let me know? Thanks. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:46 am

One help: Can u please add your texture remakes to this collection? So far you've added the classic temple and willow hills. Please???
I want to update the contents of Ultimate Mofi Editor along with the POTZ wops and tools this time... :)
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Well, I got bored, I recolored one for a SEWERS... Credits to Qloof the creator. :D
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 am

I like very much the classic temple texture!
I live a Wonderland adventure every day!
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 am

Sorry for opening an old topic but I want to ask you Qloof how do you make the textures because I want to do textures and I don't know how. :/
I live a Wonderland adventure every day!