How to play downloaded custom levels

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
teesheba

How to play downloaded custom levels

Post by teesheba » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:40 am

Hi there,

I have downloaded the custom levels but when I start WA, it takes me straight to the game I had saved from the original version and no where does it show the custom levels. I have also downloaded the WA editor in hopes of that helping me and that just succeeded in confusing me even more. I have downloaded them to the main Adventure folder in my WA program files as well as the subfolder titled "Adventures" (and the backgrounds I did to the "Graphics" folder) and can see the listed custom levels but I can't get them to load when I play the game. I have looked through the postings here and can't seem to find anything to help.

Thanks in advance!
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:20 am

The custom adventures and the editor have nothing to do with the WA game, and therefore should not be put in it's directory. The editor is a stand alone program which contains a player for playing the custom adventures.

The editor needs to be installed to it's default location which is C:\Program Files\WA Editor. Inside that folder then there will be four exe files: Editor 3D.exe, Editor Dialog.exe, Editor Master.exe and Player.exe. The 3 editor files are for making your own adventures, the player is for playing downloaded adventures. (The wp.exe file, btw, is the same as the player but it takes you straight to any saved game you have rather than allowing you the option of choosing one.)

When you download a custom adventure it needs to be unzipped into the Adventures folder that is in the WA Editor folder. Other stuff goes into the Custom Content folder.

You won't automatically get a shortcut on your desktop for the player etc. but it will be in your start menu, and you can right click on it there and put a shortcut on your desktop yourself.

The player will shut after you have played an adventure by the way, and not go back to the opening screen for you to choose another adventure. You will have to start the player for each adventure you play. A bit tedious I know but it is only a test version of the program.

Hope that helps you sort it out. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauline
Erwin042
Rainbow Star

Popo wrote the first steps, I do the next ones.

Post by Erwin042 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:53 pm

teesheba wrote: I have downloaded the custom levels but when I start WA, ....
I'll hope you know how to download a custom level adventure. And you've fixed your problem on the locations. So the WA editor is in a separate map and not anymore in the Wonderland Adventures map.

Let's assume you want to download a custom level from Dlcs18 named DlcsWA014. Cos I used this further to explain it better.

You have to put it in the Adventures map, located in the WA editor.

Then you have to unzip the file.
Windows XP has its own unzip program.
You open that zipfile and you'll get only 1 map with the same name your zipfile has.
When you clik on 'unzip file', you'll get a wizard that guides you thru the process.
After clicking 'next', you see the default destination position. But that's always wrong. (C:\WA Editor\Adventures\Dlcs18WA014)

When you don't correct this and just press enter, you get an error later on.
When you click in the WA editor on that filename, you'll get a Memory Access Violation. A few people asked us what that was, we've explained this in another post. for reading this post click on following link: http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14440

When you correct the default destination, just do the following.
I use first the right cursor on my keyboard.
So the highlights on the default destination is gone. And I can delete the file name.
So C:\WA Editor\Adventures\DlcsWA014 becomes C:\WA Editor\Adventures
Click Next and Finish.
Now run the WA editor. Hopefully you have made a shortcut on your desktop or you have it allready in the start menu.

When you've deleted the filename while unzipping, you'll get the opening screen of the original Wonderland Adventures. But it can now only be displayed in windowed version !! So don't try to search for the option 'full screen' cos there isn't one.

I'll hope now nobody makes a new topic on those problems anymore.
So I'll hope it too that everything I've written, is right too.

Keep in mind 'DlcsWA014' is only an example. It was only the first custom level I saw.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:00 pm

popo wrote:which is C:\Program Files\WA Editor
Tikun Taut: C:\WA Editor
teesheba

Post by teesheba » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks guys! I just assumed it would be in the same place as the game like in the Platinum level. I am now well on my way to playing the custom levels and enjoying them a lot!
zzyzyx

WA EDITOR???

Post by zzyzyx » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:14 pm

I installed all games from the MS Games Collection CD, but there's no WA EDITOR folder. However, when I open RTW Loader, I can acces Level Editor. What's up?
jwdo
Rainbow Seeker

Post by jwdo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:27 pm

WA isn't included in the CD. You have to buy it and then you can download the Adventure Editor via the Midnight Post.
zzyzyx

Post by zzyzyx » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Buy it where?? What web address?
jwdo
Rainbow Seeker

Post by jwdo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:11 pm