Extra Buttons, Gates, and Keys

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Extra Buttons, Gates, and Keys

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:24 am

Since at least one person seemed to take interest in my mutant buttons and gates, I decided to post them. They are attached to this post. I've also attached my test level for the buttons and gates.

You can change the type of button by using the SubType adjuster I've added to each of the button wops.

I made the frame for the gates 3 by default, which is the transporter frame. You can set the frame back to 0 if you want to.

Here are the various folders included in the attachment and what is inside of the folders, along with an explanation...

Buttons 2: This folder contains buttons of colors 16 to 63. However, these buttons are not pressable. This is because all of the buttons beyond color 15 are in their "pressed" states. Square buttons and DiamondOnce buttons beyond color 15 are useless because of this. However, if you use a button that's "un-pressable," you can obtain some pretty strange results.

By stepping on and then off of a circle/star/diamond button that has a color above 15, it's color will get subtracted by a multiple of 16. For instance, if you step on and then off of a color 17 (pressed orange) button, it will change into a color 1 (orange) button.

After color 31, things begin to get strange. You'll have to step on and then off of the button several times before it completely changes into a normal button. For some reason, the change to the fully unpressed state gets delayed by one corner of the button. I call this "Corner Delay."

Corner Delay seems to be caused by a small glitch in the coding of buttons. When a button is unpressed, each individual corner's color will get subtracted by a certain amount. The top left corner gets subtracted by 16, the top right 32, the bottom left 48, and the bottom right 64. This explains why the individual corners of the button get more and more affected when they're unpressed as the button's colors get higher. Here's a rough illustration of how much color is subtracted from each corner of a button:

Code: Select all

16|32
-----
48|64
Of course, this is all very hard to explain. Go play the test adventure for yourself and perhaps take a look at it in the editor.

Buttons 3: This folder contains buttons of colors 64 to 128. See above for an explanation on how these buttons work.

Gates 2: This folder contains gates of colors 16 to 64. These gates are pretty much useless since buttons beyond color 15 cannot be pressed by themselves. I decided to include them anyways in case someone wants to manipulate them through general commands or something.

Buttons Negative: This folder contains buttons of colors -1 to -65. These buttons behave more normally than the ones beyond color 16. Square buttons with negative colors behave normally - they are pressable and open their corresponding gates. I haven't tested these negative buttons very much, but DiamondOnce buttons seem to act very strange - they can be pressed multiple times and seem to have a Corner Delay similar to that of the buttons beyond color 31. I don't know what happens with negative diamond, star, or circle buttons.

Gates Negative: This folder contains gates of colors -1 to -65.

Keys 2: This folder contains keys of colors 16 to 64. These keys function just like normal ones, except the graphics of these keys in the inventory may not be keys, so use these carefully. By using a custom item texture, you can make these keys appear in your inventory properly.

As for the test level, the first .wlv is for buttons beyond color 15. The second .wlv is for the negative buttons. Quit reading this and go try it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MyNameIsKooky on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 am

BUTTONS! PRESSY!
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 am

I finally went and added extra key colors. Another zip file has been attached to the first post.