CANCELLED: Caged Animal Contest (March 22 - April 30 2022)

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

CANCELLED: Caged Animal Contest (March 22 - April 30 2022)

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Hello everyone! I meant to actually start this up last week, but was very busy with irl stuff and also wanted to release a very special adventure (although I have to wait to finish getting music for it cobbled lol), and then someone actually asked me if I was going to be hosting another one of these.

So, what is the theme of this contest? Obviously it's in V0.96 so it can't be that good. *Rimshots fired*

Well, this contest idea was actually suggested to me by the person who prodded me! I have three other ideas, but I figured we'd try to make this one work first, because with all of the epic things coming out of the POTZ editor lately (including MNIK's superior updates to the editor itself), I figured we could all step back and get blasted with lethal doses of nostalgia by taking a trip to a simpler time with simpler frustrations!

The Rules:

So, what are the requirements for this contest? Well, there will be a size constraint, similar to that of the Three Lone Flowers contest or the One Hour Challenge. However, instead of using direct level count/size restrictions or time limit on making the adventure, I've opted to try something else experimentally.

The requirements to enter this contest are as follows. The adventure must:
1) Be submitted before May 1st (this year lol) [Pending extensions]
2) Be in V0.96 (The original, "legacy" Wa1 editor).
3) In some way use the blink + cage glitch. (I'll explain later.)
4) The adventure must be able to be completed in under 5 minutes.

So, the first two rules are hopefully straightforward. This may be enough to turn some people away, but I'm hoping nostalgia brings enough of us together to actually be willing to do this. :P (You MAY use V3.00's editor, and even OpenWA or MNIK's editor, using 0.96-compatable features, and then copy the adventure from your POTZ "Adventures" folder to your 0.96 "Current" Folder. Alternatively, you may also use Nasko's modded 0.96 editor as long as it's compatible with 0.96.)

The third rule basically requires the use of a glitch that doesn't exist in POTZ (which is honestly mostly why I'm doing this). Basically, when you're in a wooden trap cage (i.e. it's closed on you and has not reopen), you can blink out of it. You can do this in POTZ, too. However, the difference is what happens afterward: in POTZ V3.00, you are free; in WA1 V0.96, you are not able to physically move (i.e. with arrow keys or clicking; transportation and blinking still work)! The objective is to make as good an adventure as you can with this knowledge. ;)

Lastly, the fourth rule is basically how fast the adventure can be solved (without using any unintended glitches) using in-game time. Note: It CAN take the solver as long as needed; just make sure it can be physically executed within 5 minutes, without using any unintended glitches. This is mainly to help safeguard against overly lengthy/timing-waiting adventures; while those elements are not inherently bad elsewhere if done well, I want this to be a clean, caged contest. :)

How will the contest itself work?

This will be a bit like previous contests. Essentially, you will submit your adventure to me personally, ideally via DM/PM (direct/private message) through the forum or on discord. Elsewhere works fine, as long as I'm notified, but ideally your adventure wouldn't be publicly viewable until the voting phase.

On May 1st (pending any extensions to the submission period), I will cobble together all of the adventures (and any other custom content there may be) into one thread, which will also commence the voting phase. Admittedly, I have no idea as to what kind of voting system we'll use this time, since I've already tried three very different systems. Who knows, maybe I'll try a ranked voting system this time. :P

If you have any questions, be sure to DM me or ask here in this thread, although I'm much faster to reply through discord. ;) I hope you all have fun (although having fun is in fact not a requirement for this adventure, but it'd probably dock you points in the end voting results), and I'm looking forward to your submissions!
Last edited by Jutomi on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: CONTEST: Caged Animal Contest (March 22 - April 30 2022)

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:09 pm

"*Rimshots fired*"? :confused:

Also, I think Nasko already has like three entries here.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:57 am

Don't worry about it I will make a new one
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:40 pm

Seeing as Nasko's the only contestant, and has four "entries", I think he's de facto the winner here. :P

Nah, don't worry, I have a few other more interesting ideas up my sleeve for when it's more timely. Going to call this adventure cancelled for now.

We have so many interesting things right now, between Lattius Road, Coup Collab, Hidden Archive, the linked discovery, Nasko's Better Editor mod, and a little project of my own coming out soon that in hindsight this was more just a tool to prod Nasko with than anything.

If anyone still wants to see this going, feel free to prod me to reopen this, but I think it's safe to say that probably won't happen. :lol:
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: CANCELLED: Caged Animal Contest (March 22 - April 30 2022)

Post by nasko222 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 pm

at least play cbau :4head:
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: CANCELLED: Caged Animal Contest (March 22 - April 30 2022)

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:05 pm

Ngl with the 10k projects and contests here I kinda forgot this existed

I actually deleted all my Wonderland stuff now because I hate getting swamped with new mods and crap. Maybe one day once the dust settles again