New Adventure-Get the gems

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

New Adventure-Get the gems

Post by Kilicool64 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:12 am

I made the first Adventure with the new version ot the editor. :stinkyhappy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am

Congrats on having the first Custom Adventure for the new version! :lol:

Gonna play now. :P
dlcs18
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Re: New Adventure-Get the gems

Post by |Cookie| » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:02 am

Here's my review:

Gameplay: 65/100
The placement of the gems was well thought out. Having them be strung together in a row allowed the Player to enjoy listening to the jingle uninterrupted. It isn't until halfway through that the adventure decided to throw in a curveball at the Player, abruptly giving them 5 different Wee Stinkers to navigate the path with, creating irregularity in the pattern established so far of having a gem on each walkable tile. This made for an entertaining change of pace. The gameplay peaks when the whole concept of the level flips on its head and you allow the Player to walk on grass, which previously used to be out of the question. By that point, I felt like anything could happen, and my expectations were met when I finally got my hands on the magic gloves, a logical continuation of our journey and growth.

Story: 40/100
The story had an interesting premise and raised many questions at the beginning. Why are we collecting these gems? Who are these five Wee Stinkers? Will our determination of getting all 195 gems waver in the face of the harsh environment? How did the hatless stinker lose his hat, and most importantly, will they find it? The characters had an aura of mystique to them and their developments were astonishing. Unfortunately, my disappointment grew as I realized that the level leaves many plot threads hanging by the end, leaving many character arcs unresolved. I believe this might've been done with sequels in mind, but I am a firm believer that a work of fiction should still manage to stand on its own without its sequels.

Decoration: 90/100
The strongest suit of this level was its scenery. The surreal empty landscape filled with nothing but a long tiled path greatly reflects the Player's mindset and focus on their goals. The sparingly used butterflies represent their hardships and bad thoughts: Throughout the first half of the level, the player is only focused on collecting the gems, not even considering going off the path, because they mentally cannot. They are too scared to confront the butterflies, they are too scared to confront their fears. The halfway point in which the player ends up diverging from the expected path and finding a magic glove indicates their growth as a character and their ability to finally look at their worst nightmares directly in the eye.

Truly, I call the decoration a masterpiece of storytelling.

Overall: 65/100
While the decoration and gameplay were admirable, the story leaves too many questions unanswered for my taste. Sure, the author may claim it's up to interpretation, but I feel there was simply too little given to work with to draw our own conclusions, and by that point we might as well just be writing fanfiction. Otherwise, good first adventure. :)
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof