Cookie Clicker

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Super Nuclear Power
Rainbow Wonderlander

Cookie Clicker

Post by Super Nuclear Power » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:04 am

A game where you click a cookie to gain cookies that allow you to buy objects that click the cookie for you!
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:57 am

A classic.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 am

I have it on my Ipod so I can click cookies while I travel the world. :lol:
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:51 am

dig 222 wrote:I have it on my Ipod so I can click cookies while I travel the world. :lol:
um, the moble version hasnt even come out yet
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 am

I currently have 1875 Heavenly Chips. :D
peegman
Rainbow Wizard

Post by peegman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 am

I remember playing it when it was the classic version, still the best browser game
yee
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm not tasting your tears, PCPuzzle! :mrgreen:
Sammy_P wrote:
dig 222 wrote:I have it on my Ipod so I can click cookies while I travel the world. :lol:
There's lots of stinky ripoffs that aren't nearly half as good.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:46 pm

StinkerSquad01 wrote:Image

I'm not tasting your tears, PCPuzzle! :mrgreen:
Ohhhhh, IT IS ON. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:00 pm

So, wait, let me get this straight...

- You start by clicking. After a while you get "achievements" for that, making you want to keep clicking to get the next one.
- But by allowing autoclicking, the game essentially starts playing itself, you don't even HAVE to make it run more efficiently since there's no end goal.
- There is no time limit, either, destroying any and all possible challenge and rendering the entire exercise useless.

Are you kidding me? Is anyone seriously into this thing? No offence, but I really don't see the point.

I mean, I can see Canabalt or Stick Run used as means for procrastination -- at least you get to jump once in a while. But this? Why?

I know there's some seriously flawed wiring in our brains, making us satisfied with meaningless growing numbers and filling progress bars, but there's got to be a limit somewhere.

Props for the designer for creating something so simple that taps into some strange quirk behind millions of human brains, though.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Just playing devil's advocate here, because cookie clicker really is pointless. Doesn't stop people from playing it though. :P
- You start by clicking. After a while you get "achievements" for that, making you want to keep clicking to get the next one.
In a way, I suppose.
- But by allowing autoclicking, the game essentially starts playing itself, you don't even HAVE to make it run more efficiently since there's no end goal.
Maybe if you want to wait a million years to get a certain amount. :lol:
- There is no time limit, either, destroying any and all possible challenge and rendering the entire exercise useless.
To be honest, a lot of games are 'useless' Take RTW, for example (not to bash it though), it's not like you're going to use those box pushing boulder rolling skills in real life, eh?
I know there's some seriously flawed wiring in our brains, making us satisfied with meaningless growing numbers and filling progress bars, but there's got to be a limit somewhere.
Props for the designer for creating something so simple that taps into some strange quirk behind millions of human brains, though.
Indeed. It's weird how stuff like Flappy Bird gets popular, too.

In the end, zombo.com is the real winner here.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 pm

StinkerSquad01 wrote:To be honest, a lot of games are 'useless' Take RTW, for example (not to bash it though), it's not like you're going to use those box pushing boulder rolling skills in real life, eh?
Don't be so sure...
Next time I see a boulder that size, along with a massive doorbell, I'm going to try rolling that boulder into the doorbell.
of course, that might end up smashing the entire house...

Thinking about it, that's probably not the greatest example I could have used. :|
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Muzozavr wrote:So, wait, let me get this straight...

Are you kidding me? Is anyone seriously into this thing? No offence, but I really don't see the point.

I mean, I can see Canabalt or Stick Run used as means for procrastination -- at least you get to jump once in a while. But this? Why?

^This.
Perfect comment!
StinkerSquad01 wrote:To be honest, a lot of games are 'useless' Take RTW, for example (not to bash it though), it's not like you're going to use those box pushing boulder rolling skills in real life, eh?
At least RTW works the brain. :P
Jutomi wrote:Next time I see a boulder that size, along with a massive doorbell, I'm going to try rolling that boulder into the doorbell.
:shock:
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:04 pm

samuelthx wrote:At least RTW works the brain. :P
Hah, true.
Jutomi wrote:Next time I see a boulder that size, along with a massive doorbell, I'm going to try rolling that boulder into the doorbell.
That is a GOOD plan. :twisted:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Are you kidding me? Is anyone seriously into this thing? No offence, but I really don't see the point.
But that's the genius of Cookie Clicker: there isn't any conventional "point". People play it because they want to experience the satisfaction of reaching somewhere further than ever before. This means they can set their own goals, without the dissatisfaction of being slower than they once were. There is no winning and there is no losing, so there are no limits.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:01 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:Are you kidding me? Is anyone seriously into this thing? No offence, but I really don't see the point.
But that's the genius of Cookie Clicker: there isn't any conventional "point". People play it because they want to experience the satisfaction of reaching somewhere further than ever before. This means they can set their own goals, without the dissatisfaction of being slower than they once were. There is no winning and there is no losing, so there are no limits.
You're forgetting another aspect: it takes no effort. You have to work to get really really good at any "normal" game, but Cookie Clicker only takes time, not work. That's what makes this "game" pointless, even from a gamer's point of view. Hilariously, it's also (probably) the main appeal.

I guess that's the point and pointlessness of Cookie Clicker.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Sammy_P wrote:
lies
Super Nuclear Power
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Super Nuclear Power » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:24 pm

About how many cookies do you have to reset with in order to get heavenly chips?
Last edited by Super Nuclear Power on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:46 pm

dig 222 wrote:
Sammy_P wrote:
lies
actually, like SS01 said

theres a bunch of gross clones

i mean, orteil is still working on the mobile version according to his tumblr
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:02 pm

You wouldn't understand unless you actually played it. :twisted:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:30 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:You wouldn't understand unless you actually played it. :twisted:
Oh dear...

The great cookie invasion of 2014 is slowly taking form...

It won't be long until they take over the entire forum.

I wonder if this'll affect the great Diggy abduction. :|

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:20 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
You wouldn't understand unless you actually played it. :twisted:
Got to 5 cursors, 4 factories and 1 mine with over 20000 cookies made before finally quitting the damn thing in disgust.

It's addictive, but not fun, if that makes sense.

I now fully understand why people play this thing, but I won't. This "game" is essentially a working Skinner box and we're all proving old psychological experiments time and time again. I, however, refuse to be worked over in such a mechanical way, that's all. I have better things to do and better games to play.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm guessing you'll be leading the counter-rebellion against the cookie people, right? :D

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Jutomi wrote:I'm guessing you'll be leading the counter-rebellion against the cookie people, right? :D
I probably won't, but if you ever find yourself in need of help, I'll be your safe bastion and the last uncookiefied man standing.

Also, I love the fact that I just got to use a word as ridiculous as "uncookiefied" in a situation where it makes sense.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:16 pm

I've never seen someone so upset over virtual cookies.. :?
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 pm

I've never seen anyone work so hard to defend virtual cookies from any criticism thrown at them, no matter how legitimate.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:44 pm

About how many cookies do you have to reset with in order to get heavenly chips?
There's a wiki for it (figures) that has a page on them that should help: http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Heavenly_Chips
Just playing devil's advocate here
DEEMAN223344 wrote:I've never seen anyone work so hard to defend virtual cookies from any criticism thrown at them, no matter how legitimate.
ok deeman
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Got to 5 cursors, 4 factories and 1 mine with over 20000 cookies made before finally quitting the damn thing in disgust.
You did get some other things along the way, right?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:33 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:Got to 5 cursors, 4 factories and 1 mine with over 20000 cookies made before finally quitting the damn thing in disgust.
You did get some other things along the way, right?
I clicked on something weird that floated up from the screen and gave me a frenzy bonus that speeded up the production like mad. I think it was a golden cookie. That's it, I didn't get anything else apart from what I've listed. I could get other things, but didn't.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Well, I thank God that there are still cookie clicker haters in this world :D
They're useless and pointless. IMHO those things are for people with too much free time.
Sorry folks :?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:33 pm

It's basically a very transparent electronic manifestation of a Skinner box. That's it. It's so mechanical and soulless, but oh-so-effective. If such a game gets popular and there are features to be monetized, the creators can sometimes make a sizable sum of money.

I quit when I realized I was not having fun anymore, but this understanding took me way longer than it should have. So that's evidence of skinnerian mechanisms working. As I've said before, it's addictive, but not fun.