Opinions needed - slow level loading due to custom models

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Opinions needed - slow level loading due to custom models

Post by Pawelec » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 am

I noticed a significant drop in levels' loading speed if they use multiple custom models, however some areas in my upcoming project need to use them a lot.

I'd like to know if someone sees a problem here, I wouldn't like to dissapoint people with my project just because the levels take a long time to load. Personally I think the effect is worth waiting.
Last edited by Pawelec on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:40 pm

There's a drop in loading time if you use more models? I think you meant increase...?

Anyway, I don't think anyone would even care if the levels just happened to take a bit longer to load.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:23 pm

StinkerSquad01 wrote:There's a drop in loading time if you use more models? I think you meant increase...?

Anyway, I don't think anyone would even care if the levels just happened to take a bit longer to load.
Mistake corrected and nice to know you don't mind :)
by Giuseppe Verdi
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:26 pm

D-P, but I found out two things about custom models and FPS.

First: Google Chrome causes significant FPS drop (in my case from 59 FPS to 29 FPS with 4 custom models used 6 times each), what is very strange, because I tested the thing with a lot of 3D stuff (modellers, games etc.) opened and none of them slowed WA down as much as Chrome did. The conclusion is to close Chrome while playing WA with custom models.

Second: The engine performs much faster if custom model uses Type 0 (no logic) instead of Type 160 (no logic, but supports animation - this is 9 Data# values more per each object for the engine to manage). This means if you don't need to animate custom model just change its Type to 0.

EDIT: What seems strange to me is the levels full of decoration meshes (eg. my unreleased MoFI jungle lushes) which ran perfectly (60 FPS, which is my screen's VSync value) in UnOfficial MoFI Editor run on 17-29 FPS on WA3E Player. What has happened to the engine since MoFI release and is it related to incorporating custom models or merging directories of the Player and the Editor?

EDIT2: As the problem seems more complicated I decided to discuss it on WA3E Bug Topic.
by Giuseppe Verdi