CONTEST: [CANCELLED] The Force of Urxon (July 14 - September 30)

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

CONTEST: [CANCELLED] The Force of Urxon (July 14 - September 30)

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Welp, finally got around to hosting another one of these! (Kinda derped out of Wonderland for a good while; had a nice vacation on Java.)

There's only one rule for this contest: Make an adventure using MNIK's urxons!

What're urxons, you might ask? If you don't already know, urxons were first introduced in The End 7 (the main puzzle featuring them remade here). They're not a very commonly used element (the only other adventure utilizing them at all is one of my own), and I'd like to see more adventures using them. I also wanted another contest. The two going together made logical sense. :)

All of the instructions on how to utilize urxons are located here. They're a little tricky to get working (you have to make sure every object you put in the map has an ID other than -1; other restrictions are laid out in the thread), and also a little tricky to make decent puzzles with. Regardless, I'm still looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. :)

This contest will run until August 31st (half a month longer than last contest). If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to ask me for help. (That said I have no idea how these urxons work, and I'm even more confused by how their commands just do not show any of their data.) I expect there to be a smaller turnout than last time, simply on account of the fact that a) this one's a bit more technical and b) interest in Wonderland doesn't seem particularly high at the moment.

And don't worry if you can not for the life of you figure out how to get urxons to work; I'll be hosting another contest (HOPEFULLY; I tend to forget these things) later in the year. On top of that, if I have genuinely too few entries (2 or less), then I'll simply scrap the idea and maybe try for another contest if interest is high enough.

In order to submit for the contest, please DM me or message me on discord. I'd rather not have any adventures posted here. :P (Feel free to still comment, regardless - especially if August 31st passes and I forget, just yell at me.)

Now that all of that's out of the way: let the games begin. :)
Last edited by Jutomi on Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: CONTEST: The Force of Urxon (July 14 - August 31)

Post by nasko222 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 pm

oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood another context XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD thats so p0g m8. i think i am gonna attend this time :stinkyhappy:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Editors' Note: DO NOT change gate IDs from -1. Everything else should be changed from -1 to 0, but doing so with gates will break internal ID logic shenanigans.

Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:35 am

Wonderful! I'm not sure if there will be many submissions or not but still a good step reviving interest towards Wonderland, I'd appreciate it. Maybe if there are considerable submissions we could have a reward for the winner. Just an idea! :)
Previously known as Aryan101
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 am

Lazy Loof wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:35 am
Wonderful! I'm not sure if there will be many submissions or not but still a good step reviving interest towards Wonderland, I'd appreciate it. Maybe if there are considerable submissions we could have a reward for the winner. Just an idea! :)
Honestly I think posting patches and updates to the editors on the forum are doing more to revive it...hmm, perhaps a good prize would be to give an early access beta of one such improvement to the winner?
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm

fine. i am doing my adventure in my better editor mod. I will make the urxons intentional feature because i dont want to change ids to 0 and that sounds buggy on its own
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm
fine. i am doing my adventure in my better editor mod. I will make the urxons intentional feature because i dont want to change ids to 0 and that sounds buggy on its own
It is buggy, iirc from The End 7.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:26 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 am
Lazy Loof wrote:
Honestly I think posting patches and updates to the editors on the forum are doing more to revive it...hmm, perhaps a good prize would be to give an early access beta of one such improvement to the winner?
Oh yeah! Why not give early access to WA# to the winner? This way I'll get some help in testing too. :D
Previously known as Aryan101
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm

Lazy Loof wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:26 pm
Wonderman109 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 am
Lazy Loof wrote:
Oh yeah! Why not give early access to WA# to the winner? This way I'll get some help in testing too. :D
Well, perhaps they may not want to test.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm

imagine having early access to wa# Kappa

Jokes aside, there are not a lot of people. Why not just give it to everyone with a great caution that its extremely buggy
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm
imagine having early access to wa# Kappa
Yeah, imagine...
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Urxons work by using CMD 4 to change the color attribute of spellballs while they're mid-flight. Spellballs all have ID -1. The reason for changing other object IDs to 0 is so that they don't also get affected by that CMD 4 invocation.

You MIGHT be able to get away with having some regular objects be ID -1, but it is likely that you will see some unintentional side effects or MAVs. That is why it is recommended to change the ID of other objects to 0.
Wonderman109 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 pm
nasko222 wrote:
It is buggy, iirc from The End 7.
There are some idiosyncrasies with Urxons, but that has nothing to do with changing the object IDs.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Fair enough
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Deadline has been extended to September 30th.

If I don't get any submissions by then, I'll cancel the contest and allow everyone to upload any potential WIPs they may have made individually on their own time. :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: CONTEST: The Force of Urxon (July 14 - September 30)

Post by Jutomi » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Alas. :lol:

Due to there being 0 submissions (by myself included; decided to expand my adventure into a standalone), I'm afraid this contest has come to a cancellation.

On the plus side, I do have another contest idea that I think will be much easier and probably more fun to partake in than trying to struggle with urxons. :)

If anyone has any submissions they'd started working on, feel free to upload them as individual adventures! I'd love to see what folks have come up with, as well as more puzzles revolving around them. :D

Many thanks for all of those who were interested in this. See you next contest. :)