[WA3/OpenWA] Dual Player Glitch (Level Ideas/Tutorial)

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

[WA3/OpenWA] Dual Player Glitch (Level Ideas/Tutorial)

Post by nasko222 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Before few days I've been tinkering with WA3, More specifically Beta2 code, (addition of Command 41/42) And I realized something hilarious

You can dupe the player, which causes some really strange effects. It will create a decoy player.

With that following, I tried some adventures in POTZ, and I managed to beat two of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgroBU ... l=nasko222

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZhZPe ... l=nasko222

So today, I decided to see if the glitch works on OpenWA, and it does.

So here's my tutorial how to create it.

1. Make sure 1; 1 is free (For flash magic, and to prevent model crashing stuff that sometimes happens)
2. Place CMD 7 at 2; 2, That points to the start of the adventure for the decoy player. Note that if you don't use CMD 7 and use CMD 41 straightforward, the game will crash in a bit.
3. At the start of the adventure, set the CMD 41 to the second player starting point, that will be your main player
4. Note that in game, the decoy player will only have the player's preferred accessory and shadow, until saving-loading the game, which makes both players get the full model and accessory

How to control the decoy player:

Pressing and releasing quickly WASD/Arrow keys
Pressing and releasing quickly some tile with the mouse left click

How to control the main player:

Holding WASD/Arrow keys
Holding some tile with mouse click.

Some other funny tips:

* All spellballs that are shot, are shooted by the decoy player.

* The decoy player will always start to walk first, unless it can't walk in a tile relative to it's position

If any of the two players is frozen, there will be no cooldown for spellball shooting until it unfreezes. You can still move while one of the players is frozen. Also if the decoy player is frozen, the spellballs will be shot from the main player for short amount of time.

* If the decoy player dies, the main player has like 5 seconds to beat the game/leave the area until game over fadeout is triggered.

* The decoy player cannot pick up any items / charge gloves.

* The decoy player can press buttons.

* If you leave the area , the decoy player will despawn completely.

* A spellball shot from the decoy player can go 32 tiles.

* The main player collides with the decoy player and vice versa

* Wee stinkers and baby boomers only follow the main player

* The decoy player is ignored by zapbots, and they even collide with him, but if the decoy player tries to walk in a zapbot will get killed

* Chompers only follow the main player, but they can chomp the decoy player

* The decoy player ignores Dest Arrows but can step on Command 7

And probably a lot more...

Here's a test adventure you can try out and borrow the mechanism too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: [WA3/OpenWA] Dual Player Glitch (Level Ideas/Tutorial)

Post by jdl » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:21 pm

Very interesting! It would be really neat if the WA engine had the ability to have multiple playable characters that you could switch between like the Classic Trilogy. It wouldn't make much sense in terms of Hubs, but I imagine that standalone custom adventures would be able to make great use of it.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:51 pm

I've seen a few adventures where people use "Headphones" to make the camera observe wee stinkers. I haven't been following OpenWA awhile so IDK if this is a glitch or not. But from what I've learned from glitching WA1/WA2 is that the camera will never leave the main player unless array bounds exception occurs (by killing kabooms or wee stinkers and save in game over fadeout to continue the adventure)

BTW ontopic about the glitch. I am surprised that the game doesn't crash from blink magic. In WA1/WA2 if you do the aforementioned glitch, and try to use blink magic after that the game will crash.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:52 pm

PS: I tried 4 players but its quite buggy, some of them randomly walk and stop, and magic gets shot only from one of them. Don't attempt with more than 1 player.

Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Amazing! Works in WA# too, can confirm.
Previously known as Aryan101
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:23 pm

Update. I found a sick way to switch the camera to the decoy player.

1. Create an empty object with Linked set to Player
2. Put that empty object at, lets say 1; 2 (Set tile to floor)
Make sure the object doesnt have ANY data
3. Do the adventure with the steps above.
4. After you duplicate the player , save/load the game, the empty linked object will observe the decoy player.
You can set that Object ID to -2, and use CMD 16 to focus the decoy player , and -1 to focus the main player, whenever you wish.

I also went ahead and made two glyph item mechanism that deactivate suctube pushing extremely fast spikeyball that when deactivate triggers glyph sound, and camera switch.

I also provided .wa3 file if you wish to edit the setup. :stinkyhappy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:18 pm

Does killing a clone end the game?