Extreme Water Art (Graphic Bug and Design)

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Extreme Water Art (Graphic Bug and Design)

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:13 am

Hello everyone! So, I've been playing in the WA editor with extreme X/Y water flow values (possible thanks to MNIK's editor!), and it turns out they do something rather fascinating at extreme values. Warning: Do not do this yourself if you are prone to seizures.

Significant positive values do not seem to do very much. Well, OK, they do a lot of weird things, including "phasing" at certain stages where it appears to move normally (if at all) but changes appearance at regular intervals, but for all intents and purposes, it's relatively normal compared to negative values. Except for -2147483648, which as far as I can tell looks exactly the same as 0 (and looks more like what you'd expect a positive value to look like since 2147483647 looks like this but moving backwards at a pace similar to a value of 1) - which I like to think of as infinity, between the positive and negative values, basically cancelling each other out. :lol:

However, while water may (for the most part) eventually loop back to some semblance of normalcy in positive integers, it only breaks down into more and more chaos in negative integers. Sure, it's flashy, but something else begins to happen at extreme integers. It's vaguely noticeable on at least certain textures at about -1,000,000. Notice how on at least some textures it looks a little fuzzy? (If you don't, well, it does.) If you don't see it yet, try -2,000,000. If not, try -5,000,000. At around this stage, the water starts to look a little bit... like static. Static, with little, glitchy shapeish flashes coming through. (Most noticeable on rainbow water.) Note: If one uses wturb = 0, this "static" looks more like horizontal lines.

This becomes more pronounced at -10,000,000. At -20,000,000, it looks like an electrified pool. -50,000,000 and -100,000,000 something has gone wrong; the textures begin melting. -200,000,000: They are becoming this green static. -500 million, almost unrecognizeable. -1 billion... green with static that looks like one or two of the original texture's colours... but with some significant flickering? -2,000,000,000... the static has consumed the entire water texture. But it's no longer just green static... it's static comprised of its original components (with some green). And... it's flashing. Flashing bits of its original texture, perhaps?

Well, it's something like that :lol:

(Edit: Here is a video showing some of the weirdness in action: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nirpR1xbaCU)

This is all very interesting, but to save your eyeballs from high-speed animations, I've taken some really interesting (imo) pictures of some of the things that happen during and between the static and the flashes. (Along with different water textures, different w heights, etc.). I also adjusted the tiles' heights to be infinity so they couldn't also render.

And the results are nothing short of... fascinating.

Image Image

These first three groups of pictures were all taken using the Rainbow water texture... :lol: As were the first six of the next picture. The rest are all from other vanilla textures, i.e. the various types of water, the void and some lava-esc. textures. Image Image

I originally ended here, and first showed these to Samuel (who I knew had previously played with crazy tile values and graphics type stuff in the past), and he recommended I I tested it with custom water textures... my am I glad I did :shock:

This is darkcastle, which I believe was used in Oblivermillion (or whatever blazeknight's series was called). Below are pictures from watertexture "proj" - idk what they're from but they're nice textures on their own. I also had varied the wturb a bit for aesthetic effect (also Samuel's suggestion), but because my brush was set to be randomized when I tried wiping the map to change water textures, I ended up with a mix of all four textures per custom watertexture. Which, I mean, also looked pretty neat. :lol:

Below is all the vanilla lava-like textures thrown together.

Cloud World watertexture:

Chocolatey... well, nothing good there unfortunately :P

And here are pictures from photos from "Cleansed". Note I finally tried an object and other camera angles...

This one's pretty similar, but taken at a slower water flow speed:

That's all I've got for now, but I'm sure there's a plethora of genuinely interesting art one can gleam out of the seizure-inducing static mess that it Wonderland water with extreme data values... :lol: (Feel free to share your favorites here!)

Hope you've enjoyed! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jutomi on Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: Extreme Water Art (Graphic Bug and Design)

Post by nasko222 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:45 am

I have yet to see drugs that replicate these visuals (trollface)
TwingleTheScraggler
Gold Wonderlander

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:03 pm

Perhaps the "electrified pool" texture could be used to represent a literal electrified pool mod?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:44 pm

No need for a mod; as long as it's water or even lava, you could create a solid illusion using vanilla. :lol:

Still, if ever a mod idea came out for electric water, at least we know that a vanilla way does exist, I guess. :P
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:48 pm

As I understand it from my (limited) calculus knowledge, the water moves on a sine wave function and most of the parameters are wave ones (amplitude+phase is turbulence, speed is phase). But the random one is like an animate version of the random parameter for ground tiles, and I guess with purely random movement you could get symmetrical or balanced random shapes like these "void crystal" structures in your pictures.

Sorry for the tl;dr as I might have missed most of what you wrote, but this is my two cents at a glance. Coding + math can make nice shapes, especially if you also add colour gradients and play matching music.