The Mechanized Firestorm Contest [Submissions July 1st - August 31st]

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

The Mechanized Firestorm Contest [Submissions July 1st - August 31st]

Post by Jutomi » Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:51 pm

Here We Go Again!

Sorry I haven't gotten to this sooner (i.e. April like I originally planned :oops:) - haven't been feeling super well most of the year. But I'm at least now at a point where I feel up for hosting another Wonderland contest; a year is long enough! :P

For those who are not familiar with these contests, I essentially ask anyone who wants to participate to send me their adventures before a certain end date (i.e. the Submission Phase). Usually I'm pretty lenient (and probably a bit lazy) so I'll probably extend the due date by a week or two if it looks like other folks will be working on their entries. After the submission phase has concluded, we will enter the Voting Phase, where everyone votes on their favorite adventure through a different form of voting - at least until I run out of different methods to try out. :lol: (Not going to lie, I did enjoy last year's voting method.) Voting phase would likely be open for up to a month as well.

Everyone is welcome to participate as both an adventure submitter AND as a voter! You're also welcome to play through these adventures at your own leisure. If you wish to submit an adventure to the contest, please read the section on the submission phase. If you'd like to vote, please read the section on the voting phase when I create it at the end of the submission phase :P Once the submission phase concludes, I will include every adventure in a post, and link that post to this Original Post. The same will be done for the voting results!

One last thing before you continue to play the adventures or chose to participate (as a submitter or voter) in the contest: You will need OpenWA. The whole theme of the contest is centered around creating new adventures for the modded additions to Wonderland! (And lets be honest it's increasingly difficult to find an adventure that doesn't utilize OpenWA in some way.) You will need to have at least Version 1.7.1 (the latest at the time of this announcement), although I will likely update this if an important update comes out and an adventure requires it in some way.

If this contest turns out well, I very well may have a couple of other modded-objects-themed contest ideas in mind. :)

With that all out of the way:

Submission Phase

Every contest I restrict the player in some way. Sometimes by a lot, sometimes not so much. In order to submit your adventure to the contest, you must meet the following requirements:

1) You must submit the entry before [strike]July 31st[/strike] the end of August 31st (Eastern Time). Keep in mind that I'm lenient and will probably have to update this date; just assume that whatever the latest listed date is is the final date :lol:

2) You must DM me (on forum or on discord) your adventure, although as long as I'm CLEARLY notified that your submission is for this contest, anything will work fine. Note that I do prefer you keep your submissions private as a surprise for other players, but if you're itching and can't wait to share it, go right ahead and do so - as long as I'm also given your adventure and all relevant materials through the means listed above. :)

3) This is the MAIN CONTENTS of the adventure. Your adventure MUST meet the criteria of the theme of "Mechanized Firestorm", which is centered around using some of OpenWA's new modded objects. This means your adventure MUST have at least TWO distinct MODDED Mechanical or Fire-Related objects from the following lists:

- a) Modded Mechanical Objects include: Mechanical Turtles and/or Tile-Tied Mecha-Chompers (both of these are tied to a tile type like zipbots are - don't count as two "distinct objects"), Killer MooBots, Minotaurs (their related objects won't count as distinct objects), Waterlogged Gates (gates that become water when down), ID Count Gates. and Logic Gates

- b) Modded Fire Objects include: Lava Turtles (or fire turtles, whatever they're called), Pow Barrel Magic, Green Scouges, and Retro Kaboom!s.

Note: I lowered this from Three so folks can really explore existing objects if they wished.

All objects must be different (i.e. two kaboom!s don't count as two distinct objects), but may appear from either or both lists. You could have an adventure that's all fire-based (lava turtles and kaboom!s), all mechanical based (including just minotaurs and their related objects), or a mix from both (i.e. a killer moobot and pow barrel magic).

You may (and are encouraged) to use more than two listed objects if you wished. You may (and are optionally encouraged) to use non-modded mechanical or fire objects in addition to the objects listed. You ALSO may use any other objects you want - as long as two distinct mechanical and/or fire-related modded objects are utilized! Vanilla objects that are modified using WOPS don't count (although are also optionally encouraged).

You may also use other modded features and try to justify them as "mechanical" or "fire-related" but you do run the risk of disqualification if it's not obvious - this is just in case I forgot to add something, or if you mod a new element in (which, you can do, although note it might cause logistical issues with the contest :P).

Lastly, you also may create background mechanisms if you'd like - those are always fun lol. If they're a core element of your adventure, and/or are really cool, then I can certainly let the distinct mechanism replacement UP TO ONE object in the list (so you only need to use one other modded feature). I don't personally recommend it - especially if you want to meet the Time requirements (both requirement 1 and 4), and in part because this contest is focused on modded features. That said, you're more than welcome to lol - creativity > some rigid rules after all :P In a similar vein, you're welcome to mod in a custom mechanical/fire object, though, again, beware of logistical issues (on both your end and mine).

And finally, 4) Your adventure must not be too big and preferably not impossible to solve/execute. I cannot stress this enough. If you scope creep your adventure, or make it too difficult for yourself, it will become way too cumbersome for you to finish lol. Not to mention it may be hard for voters to get through before voting phase ends - at the very least it'll likely be voted less favorably. I have resolved this a few ways in the past, but this time I am just giving a strong recommendation to limit yourself. Maybe only put a maximum of 5 hours into it, or only make it so big (like, 1 .wlv, or only small levels). Note that this rule will not be strictly enforced lol - it's more of a guideline than a rule. But I do recommend keeping it in mind.

------

With all that said, there are just a couple other things of note:

1) You may collaborate on a submission. As long as it's clear who contributed to the final product, multiple makers are allowed in a single submission.
2) You also may submit multiple entries lol. I'd advise against it, so you can focus on making one good entry over a bunch of "mid" ones, but if you have multiple ideas you're really itching to play with (or just really want to hedge your bets), you're free to do so. :)
3) I hope the name "Mechanized Firestorm" gives players some ideas for adventure aesthetic. You can do whatever you want with your theme lol - but I might personally give you bonus points in my vote if you have a topic-related aesthetic. ;)
4) You may also technically submit hubs lol (I wouldn't do that personally but you do you lol)
5) Custom objects/textures/music/etc. are all allowed as well.
6) You're also welcome to do as much narrative as you want - from nothing to it being the main focus of your adventure.
7) I strongly encourage you to use the modded elements as they were intended. I.e. don't just use a killer moobot like a normal moobot, or get married to a green scouge and call it a day. But I'll leave it to the voters to decide if it "counts". Especially if it's creative and/or really funny.

That should be everything for now! Submission phase begins as soon as this post is up and viewable! Have fun Wonderlanding, and let me know if you have any questions! :mrgreen:

P.S. Anyone may post in this thread about the topic lol. (You're more than welcome to ask me questions here if it's convenient for you ;p)
Last edited by Jutomi on Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
TwingleTheScraggler
Platinum Wonderlander

Re: The Mechanized Firestorm Contest [Submissions July 1st - July 31st]

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:42 pm

What is a "mechanized firestorm"?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:14 am

It is whatever you want it to be. ;)

Friendly reminder there are now three weeks left for this contest. :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:07 pm

I do have yet to receive any actual entries - including my own which I admit I haven't started yet ;P

Could just be too quiet a period in the Wonderland community rn. Either way, I'll keep this contest going, but I'll call off voting phase if I don't receive any entries. Hopefully I get around to making one of my own just to have an adventure on the forum if nothing else :P

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:49 pm

Jutomi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:07 pm
I do have yet to receive any actual entries - including my own which I admit I haven't started yet ;P

Could just be too quiet a period in the Wonderland community rn. Either way, I'll keep this contest going, but I'll call off voting phase if I don't receive any entries. Hopefully I get around to making one of my own just to have an adventure on the forum if nothing else :P
The barriers to entry to these contests are getting really high to be honest. As someone who hasn't regularly made levels in 8 years, I have to figure out all these objects and how they work in the editor(s) first in order to make an entry around them.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: The Mechanized Firestorm Contest [Submissions July 1st - July 31st I mean August 17th oops]

Post by Jutomi » Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:52 am

Oh, glad I randomly decided to check the Wonderland forum - forgot to mention that the submission phase will be extended out to at least August 17th. 'Tis a saturday which means folks would have that one final weekend day to make something while having the day after to play the entries :P

As of now I do actually have one entry, and I am aware of two other entries being made, so the contest absolutely won't be cancelled. Though it's definitely going to be one of the smaller ones in the forum's history :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:50 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:49 pm
The barriers to entry to these contests are getting really high to be honest. As someone who hasn't regularly made levels in 8 years, I have to figure out all these objects and how they work in the editor(s) first in order to make an entry around them.
Oops, forgot about this >_> (sorry Nationstates has left me in a constant state of perpetual brainloss and distraction)

This is definitely a more barrier-prone contest than some of the others I've made in the past (3 flowers, rainbows, using-only-a-funny-donut-layout-I-provided, 1-hour timer, etc.) - maybe less than the Force of Urxon which I swiftly abandoned, but still :P

Course, the whole point of this contest is for folks to play around with (and optionally create) new elements, as well as create new levels out of them, specifically so other folks can learn about the elements in question and their potential interactions with one another. If you're only familiar with a couple of them, feel free to use those! If you're not, go crazy and play around with them!

That said, I do believe at least one individual has already been hoping to make some kind of tutorial for the different elements, and if that's the case I'll probably extend the submission deadline further to accommodate folks getting used to the new elements that way.

Personally I think that just getting OpenWA (which many modern adventures are now built on anyway) is a bigger hurdle, followed by figuring out how to actually access the elements in the editor. It's not too difficult once you know where they are though. The changelogs are also helpful; they're a bit of a read and you may need to control + f in order to search for specific terms, but they'll tell you everything about how the objects work and how to make them, if need be.

(But again, I'd just play around with the elements and see what pops out the other end :D)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: The Mechanized Firestorm Contest [Submissions July 1st - August 17th I mean 31st lol]]

Post by Jutomi » Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:59 am

I've again extended the deadline to the end of August. :)

In other news, I now have received two entries (and I have not even finished my own - not by a long shot lol). Aside from those three, there may be up to three more - so a smaller contest for sure, but not miniscule. :mrgreen:

By the way, if you'd like me to playtest your adventure ahead of time, I more than certainly can; while they won't go public until the 31st, I'll gladly play them. I can also help stamp out any potential alternative solutions if you'd like ;) Just let me know; otherwise I'll keep them as a surprise for when they go public :P